Tuning your drums.

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:42 pm

How do you tune your drums? Low or high? Do you tune to certain sounds? How do you tune the bottom heads?
I use Dave Weckls method- low, both batter and bottom the same:) I think it gives the best results.
And of course no muffling exept for the kick(if I'm using a kick larger than 16").
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:27 pm

i'm with you... i match the top and bottom.. i like my toms to resonate,so i guess you'd say i tune in the mid-to high range..my snare..i like the pop so it's pretty tight...bass i like the low end thump..nice and warm.....
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
karma10drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:00 am

I like them to have tone and resonace, no muffling. I tune my bottom heads a little higher then the tops. Snare can you say break out the tork bar. I like it tight :shock: . Bass Heads, I have two kicks my left just a little higher then the right one to give a difference in sound. Some double kick players like to tune the same on both. I like the change in sounds.
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:20 am

I tune my resonant heads on my toms a quarter turn higher than the batter heads.
I found that this makes my batter heads get a nice response with the perfect amount of sustain.
I tune my snare very tight...on both sides.
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
Xybalba
new
new

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:59 am

..i tune my batters very low...i dont like the sustain feeling, i love the power drums and the big thump when i hit them...right now im testing different tom heads for my desired sound...but i'll stick to Remo...

on the bass drum, ( i have a custom made 22x32 ) i have the Evans Eq 3...i love the huge thump it gives when i punch it...

and my snare is very tight...with an Evans Dry on the batter and a 42 strands...
stumpdrummer
new
new

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:48 am

i tune mine to a guitar tumer i know that sounds add but u get a better sound from the drums
thefaceless1
new
new

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:49 am

as far as tuning, my favorite thing to do is to tighten the snare head(bottom)even tighter than the batter head, and my batter is pretty damn tight. this gives you a real nice pop, and you still get great snare response. as far as the kick, the looser the better for the most part. toms? medium-tight tops and medium-tight to tight bottoms works for me. nice and open.
it's all about the groove
TBarker Is God
new
new

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:06 pm

All mine are low. wayyy low. i've that foam stuff inside my toms and bass, i think it works well. my snare is kinda tight for that nice snare pop
tamadrumboy
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:49 pm

stumpdrummer wrote:i tune mine to a guitar tumer i know that sounds add but u get a better sound from the drums

I've done that before, it's a pain in the ass to fine tune them though; I find it is much easier to just tune them by feeling the tension.
Saturday, October 14th @ Desiderio's w/ "Vertigo".
Nicholas Plant
http://www.nicholasdrums.com
http://www.myspace.com/nicholasplant
Rem
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:25 pm

i tune my resonance heads into the "dead zone" basically quite loose

i tune my batter heads medium to low
Drumming is my passion.
Recording is a habit.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:43 pm

i tighten them until i feel a little bit of tension, then i turn each one a half turn to secure the head. then i begin tuning by ear to a piano.
Beat on.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:12 pm

I like my bottom heads tuned slightly higher. The extra 1/2 step sort of breaks up the tone between the two heads. Both heads tuned identical sound too "monotonal" to me, in other words it's a long solid note. I like a little "bite" in my tom sounds.

My snare is cranked on the bottom and the top head is med. tight.

My kick drum is as loose as I can get it, and the front head is slightly tighter but not much.
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:40 am

I tune my toms basically about a half turn and the bottoms a full turn, then tweak them. My kick drum batter I tighten just above wrinkles and the res side I tighten just enough that the hardware doesn't rattle, I like the floppy sound of the head after the drum is hit. I also use a blanket in my kick drum more muffling on the batter side. I have no method of tuning my snare, I just mess with it til I find a sound I like.

I recomend any of these heads for toms Evans EC2's, Evans G2 coated, Remo clear Emporers and the Remo power stroke head on the kick with ambassador front with port.
Dream Big, Live the Life

Kyle
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:18 am

I like my snare at a medium. Not too tight because you lose body and tone, not too loose because you lose any kind of feel and "pop." I see a lot of you just torque your snare..I think it loses the characteristics and such if you do that. You could have 5 different snares, crank them all really really tight and they are all gonna sound the same IMO.

Toms- Top head, get the wrinkles out and tweak with it. Bottom head, maybe a little tighter than the top, but same thing.

Kick- Just like Billy Ray Drums.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:52 pm

karma10drummer wrote:I like them to have tone and resonace, no muffling. I tune my bottom heads a little higher then the tops. Snare can you say break out the tork bar. I like it tight :shock: . Bass Heads, I have two kicks my left just a little higher then the right one to give a difference in sound. Some double kick players like to tune the same on both. I like the change in sounds.

I'm with you on the snare, bend a tuning key almost. And it's funny, I just posted something about having the bass drums just slightly off. I like it.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT