Worst snare sound ever recorded.

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

youngdrummer1993
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:36 pm

Oh my gosh, I just listened to St. Anger and I swear I almost cried.
Effjay
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 am

man, I'm no Mettalica fan so I went on youtube and listened to a few st anger tracks, oh my. That snare is awful! What a ring :lol:
Pearl ELX in Cobalt Fade
Evans Heads
Zildjian & Sabian Cymbals
Pearl Elx/Sonor Birch/Pearl Maple Piccolo/Premier 2000/Pearl Firecracker SNARES
Pearl hardware
Sonor Pedals
Ahead Sticks/Vic Firth Weckl Sticks
Hardcase Cases
BR523
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:00 am

Thank god Bob Rock is NOT producing the next Metallica album. I blame him for the shitty snare sound and the rest of the garbage that is St Anger. I'm not saying lar's is off the hook, since he was dumb enough to believe Bob Rock when he told him it would be a good idea to have the album sound like shit. You would think a drummer with 20 years experience in Metallica would have enough self awareness to know his own sound is that bad...I think at this point he just worked himself up into this little world where he everything he does is gold. Hey, I still love Metallica, but I can't say I support Lars all the time..

Other than St. Anger, and back to my least favorite snare sounds....I'm going to have to mention Chad Smith's snare (along with his whole kit) on RHCP's Californication. Coming from the same band, drummer, and producer who (IMO) produced one of the BEST snare sounds ever recorded (Blood Sugar Sex Majik), I was completely disapointed and irritated with the way the drums, especially the snare, sounded on the album. I think the songs are great, and it's not bad enough for me to not listen to it, but that extremly dry and lifeless tone just pisses me off every time.
Pearl Export
Gretsch Maple Free Floating Snare
Zildjian A
Sabian AAX and Paragon
Pearl Power Shifter Eliminator Single Pedal
Evans heads
VicFirth 5An

www.myspace.com/theabsolutezeros
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:40 pm

I heard that the New Metallica Album will have Guitar Solos from Kirk and Lars won't forget to put his snare wires up because Bob Rock won't be there to distract him! Yea I don't think anyboody can top his snare!
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:48 pm

I've not been the hugest fan of the drum sounds on any of the metallica albums since they went cock rock.

it's funny, I have no problem with amateurish sounding low budget crappiness, but when a band spends a million dollars to make their drums sound like crap, it kind of bothers me.
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:40 pm

I agree with the St. Anger comments WTF were they thinking....sounds like a damn garbage can!!!!
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:12 pm

i didn't think st. anger was THAT bad?! i thought it was bad, but its mostly the whole album rather than just the snare
DrumStix22
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:29 pm

listen to some grindcore songs :[
HORRRRIBLE snare sounds
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:58 am

BR523 wrote:Thank god Bob Rock is NOT producing the next Metallica album. I blame him for the shitty snare sound and the rest of the garbage that is St Anger. I'm not saying lar's is off the hook, since he was dumb enough to believe Bob Rock when he told him it would be a good idea to have the album sound like shit. You would think a drummer with 20 years experience in Metallica would have enough self awareness to know his own sound is that bad...I think at this point he just worked himself up into this little world where he everything he does is gold. Hey, I still love Metallica, but I can't say I support Lars all the time..

Other than St. Anger, and back to my least favorite snare sounds....I'm going to have to mention Chad Smith's snare (along with his whole kit) on RHCP's Californication. Coming from the same band, drummer, and producer who (IMO) produced one of the BEST snare sounds ever recorded (Blood Sugar Sex Majik), I was completely disapointed and irritated with the way the drums, especially the snare, sounded on the album. I think the songs are great, and it's not bad enough for me to not listen to it, but that extremly dry and lifeless tone just pisses me off every time.

Yeah I agree. Chad's sound put me off that album, it sounds like they played the whole drum mix back through a mic'd up tranny amp or a pair of old headphones and bounced it back into the main mix. I didn't think anybody else noticed, I really hate it actually.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:28 am

Potatoe Snack wrote:i didn't think st. anger was THAT bad?! i thought it was bad, but its mostly the whole album rather than just the snare

I think the whole album production was awful, but it's THAT snare that really makes it bad. Not only does it sound shit, it's far too loud in the mix. And the whole drop C guitar thing just gets lost

All in all I don't think the album has much merit to it!
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:10 am

Haha yea i must know 1 person out of like 50 that 'doesnt mind' the st anger snare. It's like a universal statement, even if you dont play and instrument or listen to music, someone always has the opinion against the St Anger trashcan lol. I used to love Metallica, now I just see it as a mixture of "yeaaaaahhh!!" and "Nevvvuurrraaahhh!!
So Is The Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:46 am

my guitarist's st. anger tribute band

www.myspace.com/stfrantic
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell." www.soisthetongue.com
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:51 pm

I've just listened closely to St Anger and I quite like that snare! It goes Zing. Song doesn't do it for me as much but it makes a change to hear a full ringing snare rather than some dull dry thud. Bring on the ring.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:48 am

There's ring, and then there's RING

Hehe
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
iminaband
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:46 am

HAHA, well I think everyone has said my answer.. LARS in St. Anger.. I mean, did the producers actually think that this was ok? I heard that they were trying to make it more "modern" Um.... COME OOOOOOOONNNN!
It's not how good you are, just how good your equipment is :) Um... NOT