Worst snare sound ever recorded.

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:08 pm

Incubus' new album...the snare sounds so choked it's got no tone.
Beat on.
shanemunzert
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:19 pm

probably
stump

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:09 am

Lars had a shit sounding snare on St. Anger! Period! Actually it sounded more like a Tom. Don't know what he was thinking but it SUCKED! Peace!
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:57 am

phee wrote:I'll have to go with any recording produced by Howard Benson. Some popular currents are the previous My Chemical Romance (Helena, Ghost of You, I'm Not Okay) and the Flyleaf album (Fully Alive).

It sounds like he told the drummers in the studio, (in my best gay voice) "Hey drummer, you quit that rim shotting now! Be nice! Not so hard!"

Anyway, if you only heard the snare sound from his recordings, you'd sware it was from a 70s album. Hello technology.

The snare sound in Helena isn't too bad...
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Jimmay
new
new

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:01 am

Shalaq wrote:Any comments? Any annoying snare sounds that just destroy the overall sound of the set/song?

By far, hands down, the St Anger snare sound. I couldn't even get through the CD because I couldn't stand that sound.
metalhxcdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:04 am

stump wrote:Lars had a shit sounding snare on St. Anger! Period! Actually it sounded more like a Tom. Don't know what he was thinking but it SUCKED! Peace!

to me it sounds nothing like a tom. i liked st. anger. there is more to it then the "shit sounding snare" so st. anger kicked ass. plus lars was never that good or a drummer anyway right?
mikebodrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:32 am

lars st. anger all the way just horrible
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:49 am

metalhxcdrummer wrote:
stump wrote:Lars had a shit sounding snare on St. Anger! Period! Actually it sounded more like a Tom. Don't know what he was thinking but it SUCKED! Peace!

to me it sounds nothing like a tom. i liked st. anger. there is more to it then the "shit sounding snare" so st. anger kicked ass. plus lars was never that good or a drummer anyway right?

for Lars to get tht sound out of the snare he simply turned the snare wires off. No life to tht snare what so ever.
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
syntaxerror
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:10 am

Its ashame he didnt have the snare wires on cos his signiture snare drum sounds quite good. I tried it a few weeks ago and not only is it a nice drum it weighs about the same as a bass drum!!!!

At the risk of being seen as a weirdo although I dont really like the st. Anger album I actually kinda liked the sound of the drums, to me they sounded raw and what most kits sound like to the human ear even with good tuning.

A snare sound I dont like can be found on the first Lostprophets album. It sounds like a clap!
If you stick to one thing, you'll only acheive one thing!!
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:18 am

syntaxerror wrote:Its ashame he didnt have the snare wires on cos his signiture snare drum sounds quite good. I tried it a few weeks ago and not only is it a nice drum it weighs about the same as a bass drum!!!!

At the risk of being seen as a weirdo although I dont really like the st. Anger album I actually kinda liked the sound of the drums, to me they sounded raw and what most kits sound like to the human ear even with good tuning.

A snare sound I dont like can be found on the first Lostprophets album. It sounds like a clap!

:o i really like Mike's snare sound on the first Lostprophets album, had a nice crack to it :P
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
syntaxerror
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:21 am

Scott_Hurford wrote:
syntaxerror wrote:Its ashame he didnt have the snare wires on cos his signiture snare drum sounds quite good. I tried it a few weeks ago and not only is it a nice drum it weighs about the same as a bass drum!!!!

:o i really like Mike's snare sound on the first Lostprophets album, had a nice crack to it :P

Actually its not that bad a sound but Ive heard better and I prefer it alot more to the sound on the latest album.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:29 am

syntaxerror wrote:
Scott_Hurford wrote:

Actually its not that bad a sound but Ive heard better and I prefer it alot more to the sound on the latest album.

on "Liberation Tansmission"? Lostprophets just aint the same since mike left, they got 'Ilan Rubin' drumming for them now, he's 17. he is a good drummer, but Mike had a gr8 style, truly fitted their sound.
and the drums for Liberation Transmission were recorded by Josh Freese i found out recently :) he's a gr8 studio drummer, one of the best i think.
but i still preferred Mikes snare on there 1st album better then the new one aswell :shock:
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
syntaxerror
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:36 am

Scott_Hurford wrote:
syntaxerror wrote:
Scott_Hurford wrote:

on "Liberation Tansmission"? Lostprophets just aint the same since mike left, they got 'Ilan Rubin' drumming for them now, he's 17. he is a good drummer, but Mike had a gr8 style, truly fitted their sound.
and the drums for Liberation Transmission were recorded by Josh Freese i found out recently :) he's a gr8 studio drummer, one of the best i think.
but i still preferred Mikes snare on there 1st album better then the new one aswell :shock:

Yeh I heard Josh played on that album! That new guy is good and touring and recording at that age must be great for him!! To be honest Im not really a 'Prohets fan I just like a few tunes from the first album, I cant stand thier new image or music, but if thats what they and their fans like then its cool.
drums_are_life_0987
new
new

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:37 am

loop wrote:Hmmm. Have you heard Metalicca's St Anger album? If you have, you know what I mean;)

listen to gorgoroth. they probably have one of the worst snares ever. only on certain songs though
BloodWings17
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 pm

i think the snare sound from the new suffocation album is disgusting... but yea st.anger was bad but atleast it was tollerable but mike smith's new snare sound sounds like he is beat the shit out of refridgerator
Zildjian Cymbals
Mapex Drums & Hardware
Vic Firth Sticks
Axis Pedals