Worst snare sound ever recorded.

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

opethmurillo05
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:42 am

the snare sound one Metallica's st. anger cd. well i just hate any snare that sounds like a tin can
markt36264
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:59 am

I can't think of any particular song but loose bottom heads and loose snare wires annoy me. I never have liked the sound of Mike Portnoy's snare, nor do I like triggered samples.
mheatwole
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:05 am

by far st angers snare UCK!!! I don't think it gets ANY worse
mheatwole
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:06 am

funny thing as I was reading this, the making of st anger is on vh1 classic. I am gong to have a good laugh
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:01 pm

mheatwole wrote:funny thing as I was reading this, the making of st anger is on vh1 classic. I am gong to have a good laugh

haha.
i think its clear tht st anger wins for worst snare sound :D haha
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
TamaSwngstr121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:11 pm

Yah i have to agree with everyone. Im a huge metallica fan but st. anger was such a dissapointment. Not only did lars's snare sound terrible, i thought everything from the toms to the cymbals sounded bad as well :(
druminzeetobaccofade
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Oh my !!! I second that statement and thank you for making mention of it.. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it. St. Anger snare was horrible... I don't know who decided to leave that in the mix, but that twangy high pitched overtone is pretty bad. From what I understand, they were trying to capture the old school feel of their newer stuff with the engineer, but I don't recall any of their older stuff having that kind of snare tone.

I love Metallica, but that snare tones gotta go!
I'm in a metal band out of Oklahoma, stop by if your interrested in checking it out..

www.myspace.com/against72

Noble & Cooley (www.noblecooley.com)

Trick pedals (www.trickdrums.com)
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:31 am

Talking about another drummer's snare sound is like talking about their mother: It's about as personal as it gets between drummers. It is right up there with choice of cymbals and choice of single-ply or double-ply heads.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone here, but I tread careful on the waters of drummers who are more successful than me. I can't stand Kenny Aronoff's ringy metal snare sound, but he's 1,000 times the drummer I am and been in about 1,000 more recording situations than me. I'm under the impression he gets calls for that sound.

I think there's a reason why successful pros end up with a legion of snare drums in their arsenal -- producers are always asking for, "Hey, can you give me that snare sound from Sgt. Peppers?" or "How can we get that snare sound from Def Leppard?" If you're in the studio, there's no time to call X pro shop and have them send something over. You better have it in your car or you'll be tracked right over.
CHIMPOaGOGO
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:56 am

strokelahoma wrote:
loop wrote:Hmmm. Have you heard Metalicca's St Anger album? If you have, you know what I mean;)

Have You heard the song St. Anger?!? Man their sound has alot more problems then just the snare. That song is worse than most high school bands I have heard! Not the kind that are in a band for the music but the crappy kind that are in it to say they are in a band. Yes the snare sound is horrible but if you are talking about St anger there is alot more to complain about than just Lars's Snare sound.

When i first heard some of the St. Anger songs, the FIRST thing i hear that pisses me off is that ring in his snare...
mouse
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:45 am

loop wrote:Hmmm. Have you heard Metalicca's St Anger album? If you have, you know what I mean;)

when I first saw this topic, that was the first thing that came to mind to! lol

Sarah x
RogersDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:10 pm

Howabout any snare recorded by any disco band from the mid to late 70's? lol....

...And I may get shot for this, but I HATE Steve Gadd's snare sound....sounds like my little bro's sunlite snare hahah
The only thing that can prevent you from acheving even the furthest goal, is doubt. Stay dedicated.
Daneman
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:22 pm

As bad as everyone thinks St. Anger was, I'll have to go with just about any of the "hair band" records from the 80's. That big, hollow, super reverbed sound just ain't my bag.

Also, not much of a fan of alot of the the dead sounding snare drums from the 70's- the Eagles and Phil Collins come to mind. Just lifeless. I partially blame this on sound engineers doing a horrible job of trying to get that "Abbey Road" sound with the wrong equipment.
betterdrummerthanyou
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:20 pm

draconic wrote:i seem to be the only guy on earth to dig lars' snare on 'st. anger'.
i like those ringy snares. too bad the music sucked pretty badly... not up to the quality of that snare sound.

I like it too. I have a Pearl Export EXR snare and as soon as I got it, I never really tuned it. It sounds almost exactly like the Lars St. Anger snare. I'm really happy with it.
Reaper33X
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:32 pm

You guys should get a kick out of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyM3_u8SDNQ
All the gear, no idea
Drumming_Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:09 am

Definatly the St Anger Album from Metallica, good songs but crap snare sound