Worst snare sound ever recorded.

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Will
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:37 pm

Lars' whole kit sounds shit on that album..
Tama Drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:04 pm

dugdrummer wrote:
loop wrote:Hmmm. Have you heard Metalicca's St Anger album? If you have, you know what I mean;)

i didn't buy that cd for the snare sound alone :shock:

correct me if i'm wrong didn't lars record with an old black beauty at one time? why he would wanna switch that for a trashcan w/ snares is beyond me...

The story I've heard is that for the "Master of Puppets" record, he borrowed a vintage Ludwig Black Beauty from Rick Allen of Def Leppard. That's the story, anyway. St. Anger was, hands dow, the shittiest sounding record that also contained the ABSOLUTE WORST SNARE SOUND EVER! Being a Tama player for many, many years, I think it's ridiculous that the snare sound on that record was captured in ont one, but TWO (HIGHLY overpriced) Lars Ulrich signature snare drums.......
ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:46 pm

this is my opinion!!!,i hate the SKINNY PUPPY SNARE. in tha song Empte the top batter head is sooo loose. and the bottom head is snappy. this is on "the greater side of wrong or right" its the 14"x6.5" on the left of his kit. it sounds like ass

i love skinny puppy but i hate that snare
MAPEX DRUMS/Tama Drums/PEARL HARDWARE

EVANS/ATTACK DRUM HEADS

ALESIS,DDRUM,

ZILDJIAN/ISTANBUL CYMBALS

VATER PERCUSSION
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:54 pm

Yes Lars has the #1 spot for worst sounding snare (and the whole kit) to me but the Rev. from A7fold snare sounds just like a marhing snare, not good for a drum set, BUT I am going to shock you, I have never liked Chad Saxton's ( from 311 ) snare sound. its too popcorn sounding to me.
I Play Hard! I play Loud! I play Pearl!
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:25 am

ROCKET SHELLS SKETCH wrote:this is my opinion!!!,i hate the SKINNY PUPPY SNARE. in tha song Empte the top batter head is sooo loose. and the bottom head is snappy. this is on "the greater side of wrong or right" its the 14"x6.5" on the left of his kit. it sounds like ass

i love skinny puppy but i hate that snare

Do they really recorded an acoustic kit on that album? I though they are a duet nowadays.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
scrubs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:08 am

May have been posted here before, but definitely worth checking out:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/mp3 ... ribute.mp3

And how they got that killer sound:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/ima ... -anger.jpg

:lol:
DrummerforCSD
new
new

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:44 am

Check out Nickelback's Daniel Adair http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 1340037569
As they say some guitarists can give a good licking,but every drummer can give a good banging ;)
drumdan
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:44 am

Steve Smith's first two Journey albums. I LOVE Steve, but can not get past that sound.
Calbanese
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:58 am

scrubs wrote:May have been posted here before, but definitely worth checking out:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/mp3 ... ribute.mp3

And how they got that killer sound:

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/ima ... -anger.jpg

:lol:

LOL
kit: Pearl Export
cymbs: Zildjian | Sabian
sticks: Vic Firth | Zildjian | Vater
'ware: Pearl
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:10 am

yes lars wins with st anger. thats his shiitty signature snare. with the wire cut off. not down lol.so he had to record like htat .long story. he burnt kirks breakfast so kirk cut the thing and lars didnt realize and just went with it. saw it ona metallica dvd
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
oskargc99
new
new

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:13 am

THats too funny its like we are all connected,Defenetly Lars Ulrich Snare sound in St anger,its like jesus if you stop hitting it it might stop screaming,id rather listen to a badly played bag pipes,iam saying this as a drummer and also recording engineer,i like snares that ring but that sounded like a tin can straight up,i have to disagree on the avenge sevenfold snare comment,yes on the older records its sounds pretty thin but on the new one it just cuts trough a dry tight type sound.i will say nothing like a Vinnie Colaiuta Snare sound or Virgil Donati or Danny Carey
Ajax4
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:14 am

i didn't especially think that lars' snare sound was that bad.
it wasn't quite his norm, but if he liked it who cares?
as someone's already said, people don't buy the records for the snare sound.
bigbobblack
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:20 am

By a unanimous decision - St Anger. Laars Ulrich, guilty as charged. Its not a snare its a biscuit tin. True fact ;-)
CrdleoffilthXIII
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:35 am

The reason for A7X snare sound is I do believe he triggered his snare for the recording of the latest album. You can kind of tell by the drum rolls he does.
strokelahoma
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:11 am

loop wrote:Hmmm. Have you heard Metalicca's St Anger album? If you have, you know what I mean;)

Have You heard the song St. Anger?!? Man their sound has alot more problems then just the snare. That song is worse than most high school bands I have heard! Not the kind that are in a band for the music but the crappy kind that are in it to say they are in a band. Yes the snare sound is horrible but if you are talking about St anger there is alot more to complain about than just Lars's Snare sound.
Hi Im Connor, I live in colorado and go to rampart high school.