Help Tune This Head!

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:36 pm

I just bought that head today, as well as an Evans 300 hazy reso. head. I put them on and tune them various ways ( 4 turns on each side / 2 turns on each side / 3 turns on each side / 2 on bottom, 3 on top, etc, etc ) And I cant find a good sound. I even put my snare wires tight, medium, and loose, and i still cant get a good sound.

Does anybody have any advice? I have never tuned a head like this before.
Vetis
drummert2k

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:05 pm

you have a good head combination there. what type of sound are you going for. the hazy 300 is a pretty sensitive reso head which is a good thing and the batter head is great for toms because of how well they control overtone. reply with what sound you're going for or examples so maybe someone can give you an idea of how tight to have the top head, how tight to have the bottom head and how tight to have the snares
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:14 pm

I am looking for something that I can use in metal that isnt too tight. ( I just got rid of my Aquarian Hi-Energy because I couldnt do anything such as ghost notes or anything on the softer side of hitting because it wouldnt come out )

Basically im looking for a nice thwak sound with a little overtone, but nothing too horribly overwhelming.
Vetis
Tmac
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:03 am

I have the 300 reso head on my steel snare and i usually tighten it down pretty tight with my batter head medium
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:12 am

well. i wouldnt use that as a batter on a snare. but the problem may be the evans. some evans in that series, the rim on the head warp easily. i have had bad experience with their clear heads. the coated ones not as bad. the hazy reso is nice. try seating the head again. tune it high seat it. take it off. tune it slowly. 1/2 turn each lug batter head alone. that may work.
i recomend a different batter head. maybe another evans. but i highly recomend the Aquarian High Energy if you want a clear sound. its clear with a powerdot in the center. veyr strong. very good sound.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:26 am

I just got rid of my Aquarian High Energy head. It is good if you just plan on keeping a solid snare tempo, but you cant do shit other than that. No Ghost Notes, no other accents, nothin. Plus the package for this head says " snare batter head " on it...so it's made for a snare...Im just having a hell of a time tuning it.

But I did just buy a dampening ring for it, so i'll see how that goes.
Vetis
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:43 pm

Vetis wrote:I just got rid of my Aquarian High Energy head. It is good if you just plan on keeping a solid snare tempo, but you cant do shit other than that. No Ghost Notes, no other accents, nothin. Plus the package for this head says " snare batter head " on it...so it's made for a snare...Im just having a hell of a time tuning it.

But I did just buy a dampening ring for it, so i'll see how that goes.

Not true on the Aquarian Hi-Energy snare head.I use it and I can do alot of stuff with it.CRANK IT DOWN!!!!!!and you'll get all the action you can handle.
I also have those Evans Ec2 heads on my toms...great heads!

I personally wouldn't use the Ec2 on my snare. :(
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
Go Champale
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Here is what I would do....

totally detune both heads. And get your snares as loose as you can get them by flipping the throw off and turning the knob.

finger tighten all of the tension on the batter side rods until snug. It's best to do this 2 rods at a time, doing rods directly across fro each other. Then do full 360 turns with the drum key , doing the same method of directly across tension rods ( you can do this one rod at a time). The point is to get them all evenly tensioned. Once you get some resistence on your key, go to half turns...then 1/4 turns. As you do this, have the drum on the floor or some thing that muffles the bottom head. Now go for rebound and pitch. Find a spot where the head has nice rebound and nice overall body to the sound. Dial it in to suit taste.

Flip the drum and do the same process to the bottom head. Now once you get tension and tone here is where the magic happens....
hit the batter head as you muffle the bottom head.....what ever that dominant pitch is will be our reference. In your mind take that pitch and sing "here comes the bride." The top head pitch will be the "here" note, the bottom head should be the "comes the bride" note. I think it is a fifth or something. Now with the "comes the bride" note in mind.....dial in the bottom head to try and get that pitch. Youwill need to hit the reso head a little so do it lightly. It will sound a bit choked probably but try to find a pitch.

This will give the drum a nice sound in a wide range of tensions.

so with the snares off....hit the drum....it should sound pretty musical. Then dial in the snares to taste....In my case I will tighten with knob until it chokes then back it up a little.....

hope this helps...
Check out ... El Ten Eleven
Dailey
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:54 pm

Whenever I put on a new head, I tighten it nice and tight and I let it sit overnight. The next day it'll have dropped nicely and stretched out a little. You could try to play out the batter head a little bit to. Play it for a few days and it should naturally lose resonance.
Coppell High Drumline
3rd year Tenors
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:36 pm

Hey Dailey, you live pretty close to where I live. I'm from Carrollton, but I'm stationed in San Diego. Anyway, I do pretty much the same thing as Go Champale said. It's worked out pretty well for me.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
bullets
new
new

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:13 pm

'Ay, y'all!

FNG here.

In case it's useful to ya, it might be prudent to factor in the acoustic environment where you're working on the drum. Also, you won't really know WHAT that head'll do for ya 'til she breaks in, if you've not used one previously.

IMHO, the equation is simple, actually, for any type of drum when tuning. As long as your heads are in tune individually (meaning evenly tensioned), then in tune with each other (top and bottom, whatever pitch ratio you may prefer between them), then with the other drums in the kit, then you oughtta be in there like a hair in a grilled cheese sandwich.

Then you can just run 'em wide open and any overtones will just sound natural instead of intrusive.

The only hitch I've found is how radically different a snare drum can sound from one room type to another.

Just my opinion, worth every penny ya paid for it.

Good luck! You'll get 'er there. :D