whats grohl playing

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Gazdkw82§
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:01 pm

my covers band want to learn queens of the stone age no one knows. I can play it all except the mad flam fillything in the chorus i just cant seem to work it out. is it grouping of 6 with the first flammed?
drummert2k

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:42 pm

in the chorus if i recall correctly its a triplet pattern and one of them (last one? dont know. its been forever since i heard the song) switches from triplets to huertas or four stroke singles. ( a sixteenth note triplet attacthed to an 8th note to equal one beat.)
Gazdkw82§
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:46 am

not really sure what that means :s can you or anyone explain in laymons terms
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:31 am

It always sounded to me like ruffs (or drags). It's kinda tricky to do, especially going back and forth from the snare to the toms like he does, but it sounds dead on to me.

Turned out that later on in the July 2004 issue of Modern Drummer, Ken Micallef mentions this, specifically four stroke ruffs, and Dave confirms it while they are on the topic of that Queens album and what Dave tends to do around the kit for fills and grooves, and where those came from (mostly playing with Scream).
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
chachi311
new
new

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:33 am

Set your metronome for 160 (it's a bit under No One Knows, but you'll get the idea.

First...play your basic eighth note triplets (two bars of 4/4) with this pattern:

R R L R R L R R L R R L | R R L R R L R R L R R L

Then...add a sixteenth note (Left hand) in between each Right hand diddle (without changing the timing of the inner pattern, R R L):

RLR L RLR L RLR L RLR L | RLR L RLR L RLR L RLR L

Start it out on the snare and then move the pattern around the set like this (on Grohl's set, Tom 1 was probably a 15 in. rack tom and Tom 2 was probably an 18 in., both top heads tuned just past head wrinkles and a ton of muffling...ie. towels, tape, etc.):

(Snare)(Tom 1)(Snare)(Tom 1) | (Snare)(Tom 1)(Snare)(Tom 1)

Hope this helps
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:17 pm

You can also play it with ruffs, where you use the rebound, first right hand stroke, then second note is a rebound of the first stroke.

R R L R L L R L or R r L R R r L R

Four stroke ruffs. According to a Modern Drummer interview this is what was used, and it sounds dead on to me. Especially at that speed between the snare and tom, taking advantage of the rebound makes it so much easier, and it sounds tighter.
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
chachi311
new
new

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:56 pm

Sorry...I meant "Tom 2" for the 4th tom part above...
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:01 pm

I know what he does(cause I can play it)but,I have no grand drum mastery words to describe it.

Stop,...listen real good,....play......(repeat) :idea:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
drummert2k

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:08 pm

chachi311 wrote:Set your metronome for 160 (it's a bit under No One Knows, but you'll get the idea.

First...play your basic eighth note triplets (two bars of 4/4) with this pattern:

R R L R R L R R L R R L | R R L R R L R R L R R L

Then...add a sixteenth note (Left hand) in between each Right hand diddle (without changing the timing of the inner pattern, R R L):

RLR L RLR L RLR L RLR L | RLR L RLR L RLR L RLR L

Start it out on the snare and then move the pattern around the set like this (on Grohl's set, Tom 1 was probably a 15 in. rack tom and Tom 2 was probably an 18 in., both top heads tuned just past head wrinkles and a ton of muffling...ie. towels, tape, etc.):

(Snare)(Tom 1)(Snare)(Tom 1) | (Snare)(Tom 1)(Snare)(Tom 1)

Hope this helps

there it is folks! the ruffs you sound too "crushed" because of the tempo and how open the rhythm is. singling it out sounds much better. i've played this song in my one band like 500 times now and i've played it that exact way every time
Chazdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:05 am

Two words: Swiss Triplets
"Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers."

-----Buddy Rich
grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:50 am

i played this once in some shool thing ages ago! im not good at describing stuff though! its 3 flams, then 3 snare and tom hits on the chorus! i dont normally like tabs, but they had one on mxtabs the guitarist got me, and it did clear it up
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:10 am

Chazdrums wrote:Two words: Swiss Triplets

I gotta disagree with this one. Swiss triplets sound even more "crushed" than playing the ruffs. Playing it this way doesn't sound open enough.
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Billdozer
new
new

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:53 pm

They're huertas.

If you played in Drumline or Drum Corps. they're a pretty popular little rudiment. Basically it's an eighth note triplet. But instead of playing the first eighth note of the triplet you play two sixteenth notes.

In the video (which is the best way to see what he's doing because every time Dave Grohl plays the fill the camera cuts to a shot of him doing it) you can see he alternates playing the fill on the snare, then the rack tom, then back to the snare, then on the floor tom. He is using only a 4 piece kit for this song.

So it alternates as 4 huertas played between the snare and the toms.

RL R L / RL R L / RL R L / RL R L

Of course that's only one of the fills he does. But hopefully that helps.
They're pretty easy to do if you just let them flow. They're actually easier for me to play left hand lead too. But that's just me.

Good luck and hope you guys rock some faces.
TAMA STARCLASSIC MAPLE
British Racing Green
10",12",16" Toms
22" Kick
MAPEX Black Panther Maple Snare Drum
14" Black Quilted Maple
TAMA Road Pro Hardware
TAMA Iron Cobra Double Kick
16,18"Ks, 18"Z, New Beats and Paiste 2002s
wearetheroadcrew
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:55 am

when i learned the (this isnt nessesarily right)but i went bass snare bass tom 1 tom 2 bass tom 1 tom2 that repeted and played with a triplet feel i mean i dont kno if that is any dfifferent 2 what everyone else is saying but ya kno