Do you use drum tab?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

reefer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:30 pm

Just wanted to share some info on drum tabs, and get people's feedback. I use a program called Dtab by UnderWare design. Check it out and download it here:

http://underwaredesign.com/prod_detail.php?id=14

You can create your own and export to word/notepad, or export to midi. You can also import tabs and edit them. Its a pretty versatile program, and gets better with each update (still waiting for them to add triplets). Overall its worth the $20, downloads straight to your email and once you buy you get free updates for life.

Does anyone else use tab, or have a program you use?

peace - reefer
Zebra-powered rock and roll
http://www.themicronitefilters.com

Check out:
http://www.getbentrecords.com
for great independent music you've never heard
drummert2k

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:01 pm

if i really need a piece of music on paper i'd personaly rather just find the sheet music. i can see how guitarist might need tabs if they're reading skills arent to the point of reading leads and solos and stuff that conists of a ton of notes on paper but guiatr books and bass books also usually have the notes on the staff and then the tabs below it for what you might be working on. i havent seen any drums books that are written out with drum tabs yet. forget the tabs, go with standard notation.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:14 pm

tab is better for guitarists anyway because there's a lot of things you can do on a guitar that sheet music can't annotate, making tabs necessary in some cases.

i've never even looked at tabs or sheet music for drums. i'd rather just try to figure out what i'm learning to play by listening
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:38 am

dTab is a very nice and efficient program and I use it a lot for me, when I have to transcribe my parts for lets say my bass player I use regular notes cuz he doesn't know how to read tabs :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:12 am

Qbs wrote:dTab is a very nice and efficient program and I use it a lot for me, when I have to transcribe my parts for lets say my bass player I use regular notes cuz he doesn't know how to read tabs :)

I don't understand how any guitar player of ANY kind could not know how to read tabs...
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Bonzo21290
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:55 am

i only use drum music or tab if the song is so obscure and difficult that i have to have some kind of guide to play it... otherwise i dont use drum tab
Zildjian
Pearl
DW
LP
Evans
Vic Firth.
Flatliner

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:30 pm

don't use drum tab, real music notation is so much easier to read, reading tab is like trying to read a book in which the printer underlined, put a line through, leaves out most of the letters its supposed to print and then after all the prints on the page again the same thing a 1/4 of a inch to the left.

The only excuse I see for drum tab is that you can do it on a computer with a word proccessing program while music notation requires a program like finale.
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:55 pm

masonvonritchie wrote:
Qbs wrote:dTab is a very nice and efficient program and I use it a lot for me, when I have to transcribe my parts for lets say my bass player I use regular notes cuz he doesn't know how to read tabs :)

I don't understand how any guitar player of ANY kind could not know how to read tabs...

and yet he exists :roll:
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:53 pm

I don't see how reading drum tabs would differ from reading regular drum music...and since I can't read music then I guess I can't read tabs (I can read guitar tabs though).

Thanks for the link though. If I ever figure this crap out, I may dl that program.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
reefer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:46 pm

tab is actually really easy to read. I find it strips things down to the basics, removing a lot of the music symbols and jargon that can really make sheet music confusing. This makes it easier for kids to learn the basics. Otherwise I'm always bogged down by questions about "whats this sign mean," or explaining how a half note is the same thing as a quarter note and a quarter rest... I find some of the proper music notation - especially when it comes to holding notes, halfs and wholes - doesn't really apply to drumming the same way it does for other instruments. Tab makes this process much easier for young students. But its still important for them to eventually learn proper notation, especially for learning dynamics.
Zebra-powered rock and roll
http://www.themicronitefilters.com

Check out:
http://www.getbentrecords.com
for great independent music you've never heard
drummert2k

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:01 pm

whether you use tabs, regular sheet music or just try to learn everything by ear, remember there alway might be a situation where you get called to fill in for a band or due a studio session where all the music is written out and you have to read the sheet music for what you're hored to play. its happened to me tons of time. and every time its standard sheet music, never have i been handed drum tabs and have some one say "here ya go, this is what you'll be playing tonight."
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:23 am

reefer wrote:tab is actually really easy to read. I find it strips things down to the basics, removing a lot of the music symbols and jargon that can really make sheet music confusing. This makes it easier for kids to learn the basics. Otherwise I'm always bogged down by questions about "whats this sign mean," or explaining how a half note is the same thing as a quarter note and a quarter rest... I find some of the proper music notation - especially when it comes to holding notes, halfs and wholes - doesn't really apply to drumming the same way it does for other instruments. Tab makes this process much easier for young students. But its still important for them to eventually learn proper notation, especially for learning dynamics.

exactly. tabs helped me a whole lot to learn read regular notes :)