Plexy Glass Cages or Not

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Stixx
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:32 am

How does everyone feel about those plexy glass cages or screens I know soundmen love them me personally I think they suck
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:33 am

Why, do you need to use one in your act?
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:57 am

If its a good soundman, he won't need one. Unless it's a room with poor acoustic qualities. I know people who play EXTREMELY loud, to the point that they actually own a plexi-cage, but after hearing them from out front without one, I figure they wasted their $$ cuz it sounded fine.
yee freakin' haw
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:58 am

I bought one in 2000 because of clubs bitching about volume. It was NOT for me.
It does reflect the drums but also creates a tremendous amount of sound pressure/volume for you which can make the monitor situation a mess. With in-ears being the norm they may not have those issues.
Now, if there is nothing behind you or beside you to absorb that volume the it's just going to reflect off the back wall and make it out front only hurting your sound.

My solution was to go with the Starclassic Birch kit with a 20" kick and sabian studio cymbals for the low volume gigs. Then use a larger maple kit (24" Kick) and my paiste sigs for the clubs that could handle the volume.

Hope that helps you.
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:01 pm

They definately suck.
My high school band teacher got one because me and the other drummer were heavy hitters. All the sound got reflected right back to us and we couldn't hear the band at all.
Eventually he gave in and sold that thing.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
drummert2k

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:21 am

instead of buying one for smaller venues where sound is an issue why not just "play for the room" if its a small club you dont need to beat the kit. its not about how awesome you sound or look, its about how well you do your part to make your band sound its best.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:00 pm

i played at a church that used one for a while. they had earpieces for all the band members which was nice but i still like being able to actually hear whats going on. i don't like feeling so isolated. i'm not a big fan of them
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:41 pm

drummert2k wrote:instead of buying one for smaller venues where sound is an issue why not just "play for the room" if its a small club you dont need to beat the kit. its not about how awesome you sound or look, its about how well you do your part to make your band sound its best.

RIGHT ON DUDE!
yee freakin' haw
DrummerboyNC
new
new

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:31 pm

I'm not a big fan of the plexiglass shields either. Like others have mentioned, it does make you feel kinda isolated from the rest of the band, & you definitely can't hear as well. Also, I've noticed that many times the band is not quite as tight with them because they're not hearing your kick or snare well enough either!
micksmix
new
new

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:04 pm

Definatly Not!!! As a drummer they are emotionaly Demorolising.
There is no reason the sound guy should not be able to deal with cymbal wash (the main problem on small stages/rooms) I have mixed some very loud bands in very small rooms and find the main issue is loud guitarists (the ones with a volume knob!)
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:56 am

See, I used these in a lounge/wedding act for a while (Yeah I know, but the money was GREAT) and I had no problem with it really.

I was using a live kit with triggers (Besides the snare) and an old Roland Octapad (I think it was called that) with a Sound canvas and a vintage set of Slingerlands.

Everything I played to was click tracked with many pre-recorded parts, and in some cases (rare) I would even have to play over a pre-recorded drum track and everything had to be dead on or it would sound ridiculous.

I used in ear monitors and was able to play at a comfortable volume for me without disturbing the overall stage volume at all.

I dunno... it really didnt bother me in that situation.
hits hard
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:07 pm

I made one, but it was only 3 Ft tall and it helped me to hear my bass drum at practice, I had to for the simple fact I was fighting 2 marshall stacks and a 8 -10" bass cab. but for a show I would never use one because they look gay as hell >
teenageheartattack
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:12 pm

They suck for me too. Played with one at a local club and the sound on stage was shitty. I couldn't hear the rest of the band at all and all my drum sound was reflected back to me. My worst gig ever. :(
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:10 pm

teenageheartattack wrote:They suck for me too. Played with one at a local club and the sound on stage was shitty. I couldn't hear the rest of the band at all and all my drum sound was reflected back to me. My worst gig ever. :(

Thats where the in ears become imparitive I think.

Course, I've never used the plexi-glass on a rock gig. And can't say that I would unless the circumstances dictated that there was no way around it.