Double pedal or double bass?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Which one's better?

double pedal
56%
double bass
44%

Total votes: 73
meatbag
new
new

Post Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:40 am

double bass drums! The double pedals are ok but you can never seem to get the tension right on the left pedal. At least I can't. :?:
Ajax4
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:52 am

i'd love another kickdrum, but i can't afford it and and i dont have any space. and yeah the tension on the slave unit on the double pedal is very hard to get right
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:32 am

Unfortunately I havent found the tree that sprouts money, nor have I developed the ability to crap cash, so that means im stuck using my double bass pedal.

Im not saying that the double bass pedal is bad, it's nice to use, but I would prefer two bass drums simply for the sound and the clarity of both drums.

Also, I play in a metal band...so what's more metal than two bass drums? ( besides three...or four...or five...etc..)
Vetis
vintage
new
new

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:14 pm

I think all know that double bass is way cooler than double pedal.
maximilian
new
new

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:32 am

i've recently added a second bass drum after playing double pedal for many years. now that my left pedal is also a master and not a slave it moves just as freely as my right has been, but the biggest advantage i've found is the increased volume and response from having the workload spread over two drums.
the transients (air moving from batter head, down the shell, to the resonant head and back again) were being impeded by the fast battering i was giving the drum. now with two kicks, both drums have twice as much time between notes to allow their full sound to develop.
having said all that, hauling around extra gear is a bit of a pain. anybody thinking of making the change in their setup needs to weigh this up with how much dbl kick is in their music, transport, cost etc.
just saying one is better than the other is a facile conclusion.
Justino
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:42 pm

I play tama iron cobra dbl pedal and I always will play single bass. But i have heard that sometimes you can "overplay" a drum by hitting the drum again before the head has time to reset (especailly easy on the bd because of how loose it is, would never happen on a snare). For anything but scremo rock i would say single but if you gotta smash on those bass singles you have to get another kick for the sake of your drum heads and for the sound.
justino
Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:08 am

I have two bass drums and a double kick pedal. But two drums is definatly better! I don't use two bass drums though as it takes up to much space and involves longer set up times at gigs! Two drums feels and sounds 100 times better!
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:53 pm

I also have had 2 BDs and a double bass pedal. I currently use a DB pedal with a 24" kick, but my next move is to add a second 20" kick to the right and have the slave side of a double pedal run to it. That way I can have a nice tight punchy 20" sound when I need it and the BOOM of the 24".
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:07 am

I had two bass drums before, one really old bad one and the one from my current kit,
They were different sizes too,

And only play double bass if you have money to buy a good setup, perferably with tow of the same pedals for each side.

But, I love the portability of a double pedal.

-Mad_cow

clatterdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:54 am

I used two kicks for a long time, but switched to a double pedal in the early 90's when the engineering made them smoother and less bulky. Anyone else remember how when they were first introduced lots of people referred to them as "cheater" pedals?
My past sets included: Ludwig Vistalite 22"(R) 24"(L)
Yamaha Stage Custom 24"(R) Rogers 20"(L)
Tama Granstar Custom 22" x 2
Now play a DW 20" with DW 9000 Double pedal

I love the look of two kicks, but practicality won out over aesthetics do to financial constraints!
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:56 pm

I vote for double bass, but only because there wasn't a 50/50 option.

I currently use a double pedal, but i miss my old double bass kit everyday. Unfortunately when you have van/stage space and set up time to think about they just aren't practical. For recording two bass drums is much better because then you can pan them.

If i never had to worry about van or stage space and set up time i would go double bass hands down. But because i have to deal with these issues every night, the double pedal works better for me. So i really think it's a toss up.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:04 pm

I used to play with two bass drums but talk about a big kit!!!
When I played Thrash ans Heavy Meatal it was cool but that was ten years ago.
Now I have a double pedal and I am a pig in shit.
Two drums in the space of one and since I do not play double bas nearly as much I have to admit I would have it no other way now.
It was finding a left-handed double pedal that was the fun part!! :lol:
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:52 am

I have played and still do play both.
Double kicks is the way to go for me. The drums are centered around the snare and everything feels more even, and you can get the pedals even, unlike with a double pedal.
It doesn't take me more time to set up because I can center everything easier with two kicks. On a single kick I have to constantly adjust everything to get it close to comfortable.
Tuning two kicks the same is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get a double pedal to sound and feel the same, for me at least.
No complaints about carrying stuff from me. I don't have roadies and I usually don't accept any help (people don't know what they're doing) and it's never been a problem for me.
As far as stage space, I set up my single kick set about the same way I do my double kick set, so they take up the same space, one just has gaping holes where drums could go.
So for me, double kicks just fit better.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:26 pm

As far as stage space, I set up my single kick set about the same way I do my double kick set, so they take up the same space, one just has gaping holes where drums could go.
So for me, double kicks just fit better.

You must be better than me at setting up your kit. :-)

I guess for me I just do not play double bass enough to get upset at the unbalanced feel, which I know it has.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
drummer3525
new
new

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:13 pm

i go with the double bass. because if u r short like me u can position the bass drums around the snare. and with a double pedal the left pedal is slower than the right.i play with my left leg so with a double bass i keep everything going to the right and have a cable hi hat set up on my left and a hihat on my right that sizzles. with a double pedal where the left pedal is slower it is harder to do fast single strokes. i ues heel down technique even with a strap bass drum pedal it is still slow with a double pedal. so my vote is for the double bass not the double bass pedal