Double pedal or double bass?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Which one's better?

double pedal
56%
double bass
44%

Total votes: 73
Fudman
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:42 pm

a few years ago I would have said go double bass. but the peddles are getting so good now its not worth it. save money time space and pain and go double peddle.
karma10drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:11 am

I have been playing double bass for 28 years, and I have tried the double pedal and personaly I hate it :( ..... I know any of you that have been playing DB vs DP it is a different feel. The DB way is smoother then the DP for me.. you have one head that is vibrating and being hit at in and out motions and this to me at least feels sloppy. I also don't agree with the heads having to be tuned to the same pitch as the other. This is what makes the patterns sound diffrent and fuller. So the DB way gets my vote. Yes it is a pain to lug them around but once ya get on stage they look and sound great..BOOOOOOOM:mrgreen:
YardDogg
new
new

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:53 pm

Ultimately, I love having two kicks. I got the 2nd BD because I always felt like I wasn't hitting dead-center back in my dbl pedal days, therefor not delivering the type of deep thud acheived when you hitting the BD dead-center.

As far as tuning, I tune the slave BD one octave higher then my primary.

Forget all that "it's not practical BS" if the venue's people are cool w/it, I say set up the dbl BD kit and then proceed with total & absolute desctruction, mayhem, and oh yeah, have fun!

peace,

JYD
"If you were a drum, I beat you senseless.."

peace & <3,

YardDogg
prog_drummer_77
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:43 am

im a double bass kind of guy! i have invested in a double pedal and tried it out as well, but it wasn't my kind of look nor was it the right feel for me. When playing a double pedal i notice that you don't have the same freedom with your left (in some cases right) foot. the main kick does the work, and with left foot, you have to sort of play while adjusting to the bounce and such from the other kick that had just happened. (don't get me wrong, its not hard to adjust) but i like the feel, the look, and the sound of two individual bass drums better! just my look on it though HAHA!
Joshua "Cornbread" Hughes
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:58 pm

I've used both, and still stand by the double pedal. It feels better to me, I get a more even tuning sound, and I'm not worried about a soundman not giving that second kick enough love in the mix.
Rob the Drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:49 am

Make sure if you use two kicks, that you have two kick mics! Most sound guys only have one kick mic.
Rata-tata-zzzzzzz......Drums Always!

www.youtube.com/robthedrummer
drummer_matt01
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:30 am

Really, Double pedals are better
-Much eaiser
-take up less room
-allow you to have ur hats where ever you want
-lighter
but i preffer double bass myself altho i cant afford it at the moment i have used it before and i like it just cause when most people play double kicks the rest there left foor on the pedal and with the double kicks the beater sits on the skin and muffles it as for two bass drums it dosent matter, as for the trouble of tunning the two the same it is diffucult thats why im going to get drum triggers for my bass drums and they will make them sound the same

in the end its up to you what you prefer thease are just my thoughts.

Matt.
grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:38 am

i think it depends on the situation, sometimes you just cant fit 2 bass drums at a gig, but at home or whatever if you have room it looks and feels so much better, and i dont think you need to have them both tuned the same, its good to have a varied sound... im both really, but i voted for double bass cus i do prefer it! and the left pedal on double bass pedals annoys me, it just doesnt feel right! lol

mike x
thefats
new
new

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:27 pm

hmm well i look at it like this if you can't play the beat with one foot on one drum then it dose not need to be played but thats just me :wink:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:49 pm

thefats wrote:hmm well i look at it like this if you can't play the beat with one foot on one drum then it dose not need to be played but thats just me :wink:

Not incorporating your other foot, would be similar to just playing one handed. Hey, if ya can't play it with one :P

It's humanly impossible to completely do with one that can be done with two, and a double pedal is good for that person who doesn't want the massive set.

Even if it's not being directly used in a musical setting, I feel it's good to have the knowledge, and to refuse because of stereotypes, or possible ignorant beliefs is just shorting the potential of the player.

JMO. 8)
thefats
new
new

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:19 pm

ok i see what your saying but imho that the dubble bass is over used and missused in music yes i have hurd some good DB players but most just play 16th notes through the whole song when there coulde be a clever single base pattern played, i try to work in a cool pattern on the hats to keep my feet working but hey thats just me. but if i where to play BD i'd go with the pedal becuase i don't have the money for a second bass drum.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:06 pm

I think me decision was easy either buy a double pedal or carry another huge bass drum.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:40 am

Both 8)

I've got a 22" and a 24" bass, and have double pedals on order for both of them - one lefty, one righty - crossed over
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:27 am

millsybaby wrote:Both 8)

I've got a 22" and a 24" bass, and have double pedals on order for both of them - one lefty, one righty - crossed over

ive thought about doing somthing like that but i always figured placement would be a little weird. i really want to see pics of that when it gets finished and i want a report on how wel it works out.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
millsybaby
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:58 am

Yeah i thought about that and before i ordered the pedals i asked the dealer if he could get me a piccy of what i was after, he put the pedals "backwards" as such but as they are the same floorplate then it'd be the same position and theres a nice notch on the floor plate where the heelplate goes on the standard so you can see roughly where it works out.
Heres the piccy -

So essentially the slave on the lefty should be able to tuck up pretty close following the "curve" of the drum or just be slightly angled in so its a bit straighter. It'll mean a bit of leg tilting or a slight swivel but thats easy enough.
Te left side is no problem at all position wise, ass i have to do is set the drum back about 2" to get a nice clearance bt as the longboards are 2" longer in playing room - the pedal will in theory be in the exaxt same spot! :D

All in all it should work, if it doesnt work then i'll just have to swivel a bit more and have a strange way of playing haha!