Drummers with Carpal Tunnel (CTS)?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Tama Drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:31 pm

What stretches do you find help with your wrists/"thumb palm?" I'm trying to avoid having surgery!!!!
The Freq
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:36 am

Tama Drummer wrote:What stretches do you find help with your wrists/"thumb palm?" I'm trying to avoid having surgery!!!!

I usually use exercises from the book "Stick Control" for a warm up but also quite a few rudimental warm ups especially all versions of paradiddles and double stroke rolls, etc.

I am very cautious of Carpel Tunnel and I learned early on to not play hard. I use more finger, some wrist and not much arm except to direct the sticks. I've been playing 30 years almost every night and never have had any problems with muscles. I have found that certain drum stick companies use a varnish on their sticks that make them more slippery than others which in turn causes tension from trying to grip harder.. In that case I'll rub a bit of gymnastics rozin on the sticks and my hands so I can have a lose comfortable grip without the sticks sliding.