Effect Pedals?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:36 pm

The other day my drum teacher was telling me about how he used to play some ride patterns through a phaser at live shows because it sounded amazing... Does anyone actually use any fx pedals with their drum kits?
drummert2k

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:40 am

i have a crybaby wah pedal on my floor tom.......j/k. are you sure he's talking about effect pedals and not effects the sound man can do back at the board?
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:43 am

No, he said he was using a boss phaser. I donnow, it's weird.
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:32 am

Neil Peart used a micing system years ago that i think you could do effects with. ZMC-10????? Anyone remember?

Wouldn't you have to be playing a larger place to be micing just the ride though? Probably would sound pretty cool in the studio though.
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:50 am

The Alien Drummer wrote:Neil Peart used a micing system years ago that i think you could do effects with. ZMC-10????? Anyone remember?

Wouldn't you have to be playing a larger place to be micing just the ride though? Probably would sound pretty cool in the studio though.

Yeah I remember that. Was gonna mention it and you beat me to it. :D

He used to use it for putting flange on his toms during one extended fill in By-Tor and The Snow Dog when they played it live, as well as auto-panning his hi-hats and putting other effects on Witch Hunt and Vital Signs until he adopted a satellite electronic kit on the back of his acoustic kit. Never did read anywhere the name of the mike system though.

He also used a pressure zone microphone taped to his chest for recording The Camera Eye and Vital Signs. It's pretty funny because you can still see it in the latter song's video, even though they've stated that they aren't really recording in those videos. According to Neil he was trying to capture on tape the way his drums sounded to him from the drummer's perspective. To an extent it supposedly worked, but who will ever know? Those drums are long gone, and it's a matter of a person's perception anyways.

Ok I'm done. I'll shut up now..... :P
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
m
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:24 pm

I've run my snare thru delay and distortion pedals, and evelope filters can create an interesting auto-wah kind of effect.
I don't use pedals any more because they really degrade the signal path and can make you a lot more prone to feedback, but sometimes on the v-drums I'll dial up some effect wackiness.

Engineers have been known to run drum mics thru just about any piece of gear you can imagine; sansamp pedals, pitch-shifters, flangers... you name it, it's been tried, I'm sure.
Wyl E Peyote
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:51 pm

Neil Peart used a micing system years ago that i think you could do effects with. ZMC-10????? Anyone remember?

I do!! I used to have one, made by Zildjian with individual mics that clipped into the bell of the cymbal with each cym being able to be effected or left dry as you pleased. I don't think they make em any more. Damn Shame!

Me myself, I use FX with my triggers/samples, I'm using a D4 as my brain/MIDI unit and associating to FXPANSION BFD and Other Smapler based toys on a dedicated PC system, allowing me to make any kind of sound/kit and then play! It's a bit too much to carry around as I don't have a roady, but it's fun nonetheless.
Turn the drums down?? F**K THAT! TURN THE BLOODY AMPS UP!!!
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:38 pm

Never done it live, but in the studio we've run my drums through various things. My favorite being the tape loop delay. Sometimes i get jealous when the guitarists bring new pedals in, and i always say i want to be able to put pedals on my drums, they laugh. So instead i just go out and buy more cymbals, and then they bitch about space. *sigh*
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:14 pm

im doin music technology in uni. one project we had to do was extend our instrument using a program called Max/MSP its a computer programming software lets you do loads of things. anyways i mic up my snare and created my patch. i was able to add a reverb unit (called freeverb) simple part of the patch that can control how big the room sound and dampening the snare etc loads fun also could patch through the dry signal so get original snare attack. i was also using an attack detector object i was able to put a frequency shifter on my patch so every time i hit the snare the dectector could play a pitched sound back to me it made some cool sounds. also got a delay unit and a granulator. hehe its loads of fun and great for live performances.

if any one is interested in stuff like this let me know ill be happy to talk about it and even send you my patch! and you can test it for yourself. the file contains all the externals for the patch to work.
you would need max/msp tho.

let me know.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
dutch
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:47 am

i ran a delay pedal off my snare once (would controll it by hand to just to the point of feeding back, then kill it) it was kinda coll, i've forgotten about it till now!