Three smallest things that make you wanna scream

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

G-Rad
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:59 am

I have honestly played a show where my kit didn't fit on the drumriser. I had a different set back then, but had the displeasure of playing on a 4' by 4' riser where my kit extended too far off the side.. My drum rack was half-way off the thing which made it unbalanced.
reefer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:13 am

I have to agree with all three, and # 3 is definately the most annoying. Now I just roll up the pant leg if I know its going to get caught. I make sure I always have extra drum keys in different places like in my stick bag, and on me in a pocket somewhere. I also keep a bag of wing nuts and felts in my stick bag at all times... you never know when you're going to need them. I had that seat problem until I got a good seat with a solid memory lock - memory locks are great.

Here's another thing I'll add to the list although its not really a problem but something I've noticed: my cymbals are always in the exact same position on the stand so that they always get beaten/worn in the same place - they don't seem to turn or swivel much, and even when I turn them they eventually go back to the same position. Anyone else ever notice this?
Zebra-powered rock and roll
http://www.themicronitefilters.com

Check out:
http://www.getbentrecords.com
for great independent music you've never heard
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:26 am

reefer wrote:
Here's another thing I'll add to the list although its not really a problem but something I've noticed: my cymbals are always in the exact same position on the stand so that they always get beaten/worn in the same place - they don't seem to turn or swivel much, and even when I turn them they eventually go back to the same position. Anyone else ever notice this?

Yeah, I think it's because some cymbals have weight differences within them. Eventually it can cause problems with the hole going out of round and then you're really up shit creek without a paddle!
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
stevo
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:38 pm

[/quote]

Another thing I hate is a stage that cannot support the weight of a kit. I was once playing a gig when the drumset, along with me, went through the stage.

By the way, it really hurt![/color][/quote]

lmao, i have to say that is one of the funniest drum stories ive heard.

i dont really have a problem with any of them, i have a ton of keys around, and one around my neck, i cant get a good snare sound anyways lol, and wear long jeans.

one thing that does piss me off though is when im belling on my hihat without a clutch and my stick gets stuck in the tightener.

or when your really relaxed and your stick keeps flying out of your hand.

but probably the thing i hate the most is a "bad chops" day.
hey whats up guys im doug.....FUCK!!!!!
Steve@NDC
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:17 pm

Venue owners/managers who have no concept of what the band needs in order to play. I.e., adequate space, clean power, etc...
Band members who pile all their gear into the spot where the drums will get set up. Moving stuff twice is retarded.
People yelling "play some Skynnard" during a set.
MuzZle
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:58 am

Yah I have to agree with most of those, the beater in the jeans things is so ridiculously aggravating and people think you are retarded as you try to shake it free while playing. Also the creeping bass is a fun thing. I have to say a huge problem for me is sometimes my sticks fling out and nail me in the face, making me look like a top shelf moron as I try to rub my face in between beats haha.
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:04 am

yeah number one for me has to be loosing my drumkey and number two for the snare drum tuning

i guess my number 3 is when i go to adjust a stand, and i get it perfect, and forget to tighten the wingnut all the way and have the stand slid out of place

maybe im just a dumbass or has anyone else done that?
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
Cheapskate
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:24 pm

this has only happeneds a few times , but I'm sure some of you can relate...

1.catching my knucke on the rim of the floor tom when Im riding it..
it does give you r head a nice blood tie dye effect

or when my head comes down and the stick smacks my face...usually pretty hard

It allways takes me second to realize I hit my self and that it wasn't something hurled at me by a band mate..
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:32 am

1. breaking brand new sticks. lol and then having odd sticks. :S

2. as above whacking your knuckle and ripping the skin making it bleed. or any bodily injury. i tore some of my nail off miss choking a cymbal that hurt.

3. pretty much all the rest that was said.

breaking new sticks is the worst.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
WhiteOleander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:55 am

Johnny Cat wrote:Oh boy. Number 3 on your list REALLY pisses me off too. I know a few people that use a bicycle clip to solve this problem.

The same with the drum key. I call it BTP: Bermuda Triangle Phenomenon, because I'll be damned if I can ever find the drum key again until the end of the show. So I bring spares.

hear hear
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:01 am

When I was a wee lad playing unmiked with an exceedingly loud band, I broke my nose with my stick.

Didn't stop playing at least. :D

Yep, I guest that's at the top of my list....

Going through that stage wasn't a high point either.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
WhiteOleander
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:17 am

ah two other things to add to that is dropping my stick, however dumb that sounds I tend to play as loose as possibly which sometimes results in me actaully dropping a stick.. and as dale mentioned, whacking yourself in the nose.. only happened once but damn it was ugly
seandude
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:02 pm

1. tuning ur kit and droping ur key pisses the shitfuck out of me
2. when a drm stick hist ur finger when ur playing
3. agusting my pedals/toms

idk thsoe piss me off
safe sex is in the palm of your hand
seandude
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:06 pm

OHHHHH and i hate when people tell u that urr off bat when hey achually are/ dont know the soong o they mess uo and there egos to big to say "my bad"
safe sex is in the palm of your hand
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:13 am

seandude wrote:OHHHHH and i hate when people tell u that urr off bat when hey achually are/ dont know the soong o they mess uo and there egos to big to say "my bad"

Yeah, I know what you mean, I was in a covers band where the lead singer made a huge drama out of everything - even when we'd pre-set all the tempos, he'd want it faster or slower, or changes the songlist at random order. He looks at me like 'what's your problem?' and then to make it worse, announces to the whole crowd what an idiot you are. :twisted: Yeah, I quit that band.
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.