Should Led Zeppelin have carried on.....

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Cozy Cable
new
new

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:39 pm

They discussed continuing with Cozy Powell in place of The Great Bonzo, should they have done??
I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Cozy fan and would have loved to see it - but would it have worked?? Musically?? Personalitywise?? Were Zep at the end anyway, and Bonhams death gave them a way out??
C'mon, what do y'all think??
"A big fat guy,hitting drums with more enthusiasm than ability!!"
screamkevin

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:51 pm

Zeppelin died when God took John Bonham. Nobody can EVER replace him, and nobody should ever try. Not even Jason.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Silzildrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:54 pm

screamkevin wrote:Zeppelin died when God took John Bonham. Nobody can EVER replace him, and nobody should ever try. Not even Jason.

I agree with you 100%. The day Bonzo died was the the day the rest of Led Zeppelin died. No one could or would ever replace John Bonham.
Carter
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:00 am

Led Zeppelin minus Bonzo is no longer Led Zeppelin
Tama drums!
Mr. Pants
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:10 am

Carter wrote:Led Zeppelin minus Bonzo is no longer Led Zeppelin

That has been proven time and time again...the closest they ever cam was on Un-Led-Ed with the cat who played with Tori Amos.
luccabrowse
new
new

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:10 pm

Zeppelin without Bonham would be like The Who without Keith and we saw how that turned out.
Rem
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 am

No never ever.

Led Zep were finished when bonham was finished.

I love led zeppelin, i think its the reason i like 1 up 2 down kits
Drumming is my passion.
Recording is a habit.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:30 am

led zeppelin was one of those bands where if any of the original members (save for maybe john paul jones) had died or left, the band would be done. no one could ever replace bonzo, no one could ever replace jimmy page, and no one could ever replace robert plant. they maybe could have replace john paul and kept the band alive but without bonzo its not led zeppelin.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Mikey Ramone
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:34 am

luccabrowse wrote:Zeppelin without Bonham would be like The Who without Keith and we saw how that turned out.

My thoughts exactly. It just wouldn't be the same.
Jee
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:43 pm

Led Zeppelin did the right thing. Others like the who should have quit too.
Jee
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:48 pm

[quote="anavrinIV"]led zeppelin was one of those bands where if any of the original members (save for maybe john paul jones) had died or left, the band would be done. no one could ever replace bonzo, no one could ever replace jimmy page, and no one could ever replace robert plant. they maybe could have replace john paul and kept the band alive but without bonzo its not led zeppelin.[/quote/

And this is typical of people that dont understand how much JPJ contributed to songs they recorded
DrummerByron
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:07 pm

anavrinIV wrote:led zeppelin was one of those bands where if any of the original members (save for maybe john paul jones) had died or left, the band would be done. no one could ever replace bonzo, no one could ever replace jimmy page, and no one could ever replace robert plant. they maybe could have replace john paul and kept the band alive but without bonzo its not led zeppelin.

First off I think this is a very unfair statement because John Paul Jones is one of the best bass players out there and he also played keyboard and wind instruments for LZ. To say John is not a great musician is like saying the same about Bonzo. John was the glue that held the songs together.
Now as far as the original question is concerned I look at it like this, if you have a great musical relationship with a band such as LZ then I think if you want to carry on then do so, just not under the original name. I would have loved to hear a recording with John, Jimmy, Robert, and Cozy, just not as LZ. Yes when Bonzo died Led Zep died with him, but the 3 surviving did not and they have offered us a lot of great music post LZ and whenever they do get together it’s remarkable. I think that any band that looses a member is forever changed and that could be good and bad. When Ozzy left Sabbath they carried on and I think the Dio years are awesome. It’s all in how it’s approached, like music, labels, branding, etc. If you can do it with tact and class the by all means, please go ahead. I am a huge Cozy fan as well and I would love to see him play with just about anybody.
DolFan54
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:33 pm

I'm a huge John Bonham fan but I'm not that big of a Zeppelin fan. I really liked Zeppelin II and that's about it for me. I remember shortly after his death Jimmy Page and Robert Plant teamed up with Chris Squire and Alan White and they were calling themselves XYZ which stood for ex-Yes & Zeppelin. I'm a big Alan White fan too and I would've been curious enough to check that out but it didn't last very long.
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Not triing to start any shit but I just don't get the whole Led Zepplin is god and John Bonham can't be replaced thing. I guess its just me I never have cared much for them. Im not saying there were a bad band or anything I just don't dig there music myself. I think they could have gone on with a different drummer but from what I have heard they were ready to call it quits anyway. I can say things like I guess becouse Im not a fan of LZ. I was more into Black Sabbath during that era of music.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:08 pm

DrummerByron wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:led zeppelin was one of those bands where if any of the original members (save for maybe john paul jones) had died or left, the band would be done. no one could ever replace bonzo, no one could ever replace jimmy page, and no one could ever replace robert plant. they maybe could have replace john paul and kept the band alive but without bonzo its not led zeppelin.

First off I think this is a very unfair statement because John Paul Jones is one of the best bass players out there and he also played keyboard and wind instruments for LZ. To say John is not a great musician is like saying the same about Bonzo. John was the glue that held the songs together.
Now as far as the original question is concerned I look at it like this, if you have a great musical relationship with a band such as LZ then I think if you want to carry on then do so, just not under the original name. I would have loved to hear a recording with John, Jimmy, Robert, and Cozy, just not as LZ. Yes when Bonzo died Led Zep died with him, but the 3 surviving did not and they have offered us a lot of great music post LZ and whenever they do get together it’s remarkable. I think that any band that looses a member is forever changed and that could be good and bad. When Ozzy left Sabbath they carried on and I think the Dio years are awesome. It’s all in how it’s approached, like music, labels, branding, etc. If you can do it with tact and class the by all means, please go ahead. I am a huge Cozy fan as well and I would love to see him play with just about anybody.

i never said he was a bad musician, i just said that i think he was the only one who could possibly have been replaced....if you cared to read what i had said you would have realized that.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.