Playing Injured/Hurt

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:46 pm

goatatl wrote:I am currently having a bout with tennis elbow, or at least that's what I think, judging from the online research I've done. (WebMD, emedicinehealth, etc...)
The symptoms describe me to a T:

* Tenderness on the outer bony part of the elbow

* Morning stiffness of the elbow with persistent aching

* Soreness in the forearm

* Pain worse when grasping or holding an object

Unfortunately, I believe this happened upon my purchase of Yamaha DTX about a week ago... When I first got it home & set it up, I noticed some numbness in my left hand after about a half hour of playing; In my enthusiasm over having new toy, I chose to ignore it, and continued to play for another couple of hours. (BAD decision) The pain ensued within a couple of days.

I'm a heavy player and probably need to modify my playing on pads, which I'm (obviously) not used to anyway. I've heard a couple of posts recommending Ahead sticks, but does anyone have any suggestions for immediate relief? (I have gigs Friday & Saturday) Do those elbow braces help?
Thanks all
G

Might want to look at external things such as do you put your elbow on the window ledge when you drive, any work-related repetitive tasks, etc.

For awhile I was experiencing numbness in my left pinky. I mean, the damn this was DEAD. Came to find out that when I set my arm in the car window area as I drove, the ulnar nerve was getting pinched. I changed the habit, the numbness left.
dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:01 am

I played with a broken leg once and Oh yeah I blew out my knee in a motel gettin goofy jumpin on a bed and played that night..How ? don't ask me..just did it..The show must go on..LOL Oh and a wrenched back..ummm..the flu..ummm..well I could go on and on..haha..Yup !!
Not into all that competetive who's better crap..Just love to have fun when I drum..!! <|:O)

www.myspace.com/70275304
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:50 am

I'm pretty sure I can blame my poor technique on the electronic kit for this one; It happened too simultaneously for me to consider it a coincidence. I bought a brace and iced it down good, and it seems better. May have been the old body giving me a warning. I don't know how it is in Southern California, but July in Atlanta is strictly a windows-up\ AC on affair. :)