Playing Injured/Hurt

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:41 pm

Dude, that's so metal.

"Murderface rolled them up and smoked them!"
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:39 pm

well, ive played with a broken ankle before. I broke it about 3 hours before i played, then i played anyways...it wasnt so good, so id reccomend alternating ice and heat up until the show then taping it up.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
ytsejam1337
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:39 pm

I've played injured before...but by luck it was my leg. Basicly...what I did was tried to do everything I could with what I've got. Try playing with one hand =/
SewnMouthLoc
new
new

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:02 pm

Injuries like that suck bro...I don't have any advice but I've been in a similar situation and taped a stick to my hand because i couldn't grip it...it hurt like hell and I obviously couldn't play very inticate stuff but I got through it...It's been said about 10000000000000000000 times but it's true...the show must go on
Limited Access
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:14 pm

The very first time I have ever palyed out was on a new years eve with a broke thumb that I broke the day before!!! I had Iced it all day to get the swelling down and held my stikes between my index and middle finger. It was hell especialy since we had to play 2 extra hours. I had to keep putting tape om my fingers cause I didnt have any calises biult up between my fingers and at the end of the night my thumb was so swollen it didnt look like a thumb!!!! Good thing our next gig wasnt for a couple weeks so it could heal a little. Well theres my ijury story.....lol Oh yeah I broke it downhill sking!!!!
Pearl Drums and Zildjian and Sabian Cymbals
rjbaked
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:24 pm

That sucks dude. I had a similar condition called DeQuervain's Tendonitis. I battled it for years in both wrists. There is a minor surgery for it (if it is the same thing you have). A one inch incision, 15 minute operation. Only 2 to 3 weeks recovery. Unfortunately, you do lose a little flexibility but I'm still playing 5 years later with no pain. I still have probably 80% of movement so the 32nd note rolls are used a little less, but it's worth it to be pain free. If you want more info on the tendonitism contact me.
rjbaked@rogers.com
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:28 pm

I over stretched a tendon in my left wrist on a bayonet course and then had to play for a church service a week later (conflict of interest maybe?) and I could hold the stick and everything fine, but when I hit the snare it was like being tasered and stabbed in the wrist. I ended up having to wrap up my wrist and hand in 100mph tape (beefy duct tape) and it worked out alright. So I'd say try keeping the inflamation down and get some serious tape...then don't play until it's healed. It's rough, but you will make it worse if you keep playing. If you can't go to a doctor's office, ask everyone you know if they're friends/family with a doctor that can at least diagnose you and give advice. They have an oath to help people, just keep it quiet.

Godless, you're freaking metal man! I've cut myself a few times while playing...it's always more rewarding to see blood everywhere after playing some good ol' metal (I like to wipe it on my cymbals). And God knows how many times I've used a pocket knife for surgery on myself...

WhereSheWept...I'm diggin' the inverted shocker, but I'm also bummed for you since you lost your "driving finger".
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
drummert2k

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:11 pm

stretch your hands and forearms for about 20 minutes before you even hit your pad to warm up. i know you feel gay stretching when the rest of your band is boozing up but it will save you trouble years down the road.
Flatliner

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:20 am

do 20 minutes of ice (not directly on the skin, put at a towel between you and the ice.) then slowly stretch it till the cold goes away. (I know some good stretches but I don't have a camera so I'm sorry I can't show them to you) Then repeat, do not use heat. Heat will help will the pain but it will not help with any healing process. If you do use heat it will serve you best used just before you have to play. You should also get it looked at by someone who knows about arms, after two months of shots if you aren't better you most likely need more than just that. You might also look into a chiropractor. A lot of pain you recieve in your body stems from pinched nerves in the spine. My dad had tendenidous in his right arm (he plays tennis) and after a quick adjustment he hasn't had anymore problems. I'm sorry to here about your health insurance problems as well, but if you can hold off from at least taking on future gigs you haven't agreed to yet till after you can have someone look at your arm it might save you from ruining it beyond repair.
galgano16
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:20 pm

pain meds?... maybe?
fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:51 am

Man I hate drumming injuries. I threw out my elbow once, must have had tennis elbow or something. Couldnt move it nor play.
I jarred my ankle a couple times that set me back and put me out of commision. I wore a brace when I played for a while until it got better.
My knee has given me problems before too.
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 am

I am currently having a bout with tennis elbow, or at least that's what I think, judging from the online research I've done. (WebMD, emedicinehealth, etc...)
The symptoms describe me to a T:

* Tenderness on the outer bony part of the elbow

* Morning stiffness of the elbow with persistent aching

* Soreness in the forearm

* Pain worse when grasping or holding an object

Unfortunately, I believe this happened upon my purchase of Yamaha DTX about a week ago... When I first got it home & set it up, I noticed some numbness in my left hand after about a half hour of playing; In my enthusiasm over having new toy, I chose to ignore it, and continued to play for another couple of hours. (BAD decision) The pain ensued within a couple of days.

I'm a heavy player and probably need to modify my playing on pads, which I'm (obviously) not used to anyway. I've heard a couple of posts recommending Ahead sticks, but does anyone have any suggestions for immediate relief? (I have gigs Friday & Saturday) Do those elbow braces help?
Thanks all
G
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:54 pm

drummert2k wrote:stretch your hands and forearms for about 20 minutes before you even hit your pad to warm up. i know you feel gay stretching when the rest of your band is boozing up but it will save you trouble years down the road.

Yeah:I usually alternate the warm-up with a few "16 oz curls " :-)
ryan462
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:51 pm

It sounds like you have a much worse problem than I .. but when my wrist and arm start acting up (once a month or so .. ) I'll wrap it at night to make sure my wrist doesn't move. I've found that just not moving it is the best thing. If you must play the show .. warm up before, Ibuprofen and Ice to keep swelling down afterwards.

You really should however weigh it out .. is continuing to play through the pain worth potential permanent damage? Probably not buddy ..

yikes .. good luck !
goatatl
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:41 pm

ryan462 wrote:It sounds like you have a much worse problem than I .. but when my wrist and arm start acting up (once a month or so .. ) I'll wrap it at night to make sure my wrist doesn't move. I've found that just not moving it is the best thing. If you must play the show .. warm up before, Ibuprofen and Ice to keep swelling down afterwards.

You really should however weigh it out .. is continuing to play through the pain worth potential permanent damage? Probably not buddy ..

yikes .. good luck !

Thanks for the post, and the advice. I do have to play it (there's 3 other people that are depending on me), but I think I'll lay off the DTX for a couple of days. You' re right, though, Ibuprofen & ice get me through a lot.
Thanks
G