Christian Heavy Metal?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:48 pm

i've always thought it was extremely shady to use a genre of music to preach.

be it about god or politics.

if your music has a message, great. but if you play music for the sole purpose of preaching, i find that rather sneaky and definitely quite shady.

i've seen bands locally that did that.

they used a popular style of music to get unsuspecting music listeners through the door. once they were there, they did everything in their power to convert, preach and brainwash.

no thanks.
drummert2k

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:52 pm

christian metal to me is no worse than emo and poppy/punk bands playing songs about how much they miss the girl that dumped them and all the hardships with dating in their lives. just because the music has the "metal" genre on it doesnt mean the lyrics HAVE to be about a cirtain thing

all music is meant to hold a message, whether it be about your religion, you're ex girlfriend, your tractor, or whatever. the lyrics hold the meaning. the music is there to provide the feel and help the emotion. emotion
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:36 pm

drummert2k wrote:christian metal to me is no worse than emo and poppy/punk bands playing songs about how much they miss the girl that dumped them and all the hardships with dating in their lives. just because the music has the "metal" genre on it doesnt mean the lyrics HAVE to be about a cirtain thing

all music is meant to hold a message, whether it be about your religion, you're ex girlfriend, your tractor, or whatever. the lyrics hold the meaning. the music is there to provide the feel and help the emotion. emotion

obviously lyrics carry a message.

i can think of very few bands that sing in gibberish.

the problem i have are with the bands that use popular genres of music solely as a platform for preaching and converting people either religiously, politically, whatever.

these people play genres of music that are trendy and popular for the sole purpose of attracting a large number of people to sermon.

my comments were directed at the christian heavy metal bands that would being playing pop punk or alt-country if that meant larger crowds to convert.

i've played shows with bands like this. bands that use the music as a way to preach to crowds.

a lot of christian bands out there today fit this category.

i'll pass.
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:42 pm

That may be true of a portion of the Christian Metal bands out there, sarcasm, but I think that it started and, for the most part, continues because there are people that love that metal sound, playing music, and God and choose to reflect their belief in Him through their lyrics. I would agree that SOME bands use it strictly for its appeal but to be honest...they would reach more people with a poppy, user friendly sound than with the metal that they are doing.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
meinlplayer
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:10 pm

It seems to me that most christian metal bands decide to play that style of music mainly because they enjoy it. Sure, there are exceptions, but for the most part they simply like metal music, and enjoy making it. Then, with respect to lyrics, they write their lyrics about whatever is important to them.

I agree that some of the bands listed here are more hardcore than metal, but there's also Extol, Becoming the Archetype, and Norma Jean, etc that are all christian metal.

I define metal by the sound and style of the music, not by the lyrics.
Mapex M Birch drums

Meinl Amun cymbals

Evans G2/G1 coated heads
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:33 am

Iron Maiden, believe it or not, has lately been throwing some Christianity aspects into some of their songs... and mixing it with their thoughts on it, and war, and politics. ;) So you get a very Iron Maiden feel still!!!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:48 am

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:i've always thought it was extremely shady to use a genre of music to preach.

be it about god or politics.

if your music has a message, great. but if you play music for the sole purpose of preaching, i find that rather sneaky and definitely quite shady.

i've seen bands locally that did that.

they used a popular style of music to get unsuspecting music listeners through the door. once they were there, they did everything in their power to convert, preach and brainwash.

no thanks.

Music is the most potent vehicle for changing things
It breaks down class, race , sexual and color barriers
Bet it hippies or radicals, music can be credited for everything from the anti war movement to the equal rights movement
Go listen to Brittany Spears if you wanna think like that
You say irritant, I say catalyst
matt
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:46 am

masonvonritchie wrote:Does anybody believe that heavy metal songs can be Christian songs? Metal is so often affiliated with death and destruction but I for one don't believe that always has to be true... Anyone else think the same?

christian heavy metal
thats an oxymoron
Hamlin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:07 pm

Heh heh, I believe Slayer's bass player is a devote Christian.
JesusHugs
new
new

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:13 pm

Howepirate wrote:being a christian myself i absolutly love it as a matter of fact im wearing an As I Lay Dying shirt right now lol and for a while i didnt even know they were christian until someone pointed them out and i listened to the lyrics more and hey why not listen to music that has a better message instead of the old cliche death death bloody bloody kill yourself lyrics like a lot of bands have out now...good christian metal bands i have are, As i Lay Dying of course, august burns red, Blindside, the chariot(really crazy drums and odd time sigs in some songs), Emery, Haste The Day, He Is Legend(good jazzy/screamo drummer), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(crazy southern rock band old screamer of Underoath), Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, Showbread, Still Remains, Underoath, War of Ages, With Blood Comes Cleansing, and Zao so if anyones interested check em out

i did not read all 7 pages so some one may have mentioned it but 3 other great christian metal bands are "sinai beach" "inhale exhale" "destroy the runner" these and all the ones mentioned above i must say are awesome
Jam For Jesus
Hamlin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:22 pm

"sinai beach"

I'll vouch for that one.
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:02 am

Crash101 wrote:when it comes down to it in a christian ministry its about, why you do what you do, the heart behind the message, how you say it has nothing to do with the actual message.
God calls ppl to the metal ministry because sometimes thats the only way to get some ppls attention.

I disagree. How you say it has everything to do with the message. Galatians 5: 22-23, 26 etc.
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:06 am

Rockula! wrote:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:
Music is the most potent vehicle for changing things
It breaks down class, race , sexual and color barriers
Bet it hippies or radicals, music can be credited for everything from the anti war movement to the equal rights movement

Credited, or blamed.
LawNinja
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:40 pm

Yeah i didnt read all 7 pages but from what I saw Norma Jean, The Chariot, and As I Lay Dying haven't been noted yet. But I agree with just about everyone else on this topic, if they want to add a message about what they belive into their music, I can totally stand behinde that.
Asian invasion!
stump

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:04 pm

Hamlin wrote:Heh heh, I believe Slayer's bass player is a devote Christian.

That's just wrong!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.