Christian Heavy Metal?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

drumschick07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 8:58 am

Rockula! wrote:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:sorry. i tried to keep my athiest-ass out of this discussion...
but i've gotta say i think christian metal singers are down right heeeeeeeeeee-larious.
screaming. growling. yelling.... about... christ?
i scream. growl. yell because i'm angry (arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!) not because i'm singing about the glory of god.
to me, it simply doesn't make sense.
you wouldn't bark 'happy birthday' at someone.
with that being said, i don't see how someone can say there's no such thing as "christian" metal.
it just seems like the music defines the genre. not the lyrics (exceptions go to categories like "black metal" and, of course, "christian metal" which are defined solely by their religious/anti-religious lyrical content)

There's plenty of things that christians have to be angry about
Most of my friends that believe are really pissed off about how their "leaders" are ruining the way the publice percieves them
There are TONS of christians who think it is wrong to mix politics with religion
Our president evokes the name of god every time he lies about the war
How could a christian NOT be offended by that?

Secondly, they are also very pissed about how badly their music is being co-opted by the music industry
Just like satanic metal that is all pentagrams and lyrics about killing babies on the surface with no real core belief to back it up, there are tons of new christian bands that have no real core belief in christ
Yeah, they go to church etc... but most are just using it go get booked at christian clubs
It must suck real bad right now to be a christian because of all the negative things that higher profile christians are doing to fuck this country in a big way

As far as "Keeping it about music" as stump said
Well, culture IS music
They're inseperable
Culture produces music
Without it, there's no meaning behind the music
It's just notes with no soul

Christians have other reason to be angry also. We aren't prefect in any way, shape or form. We get depressed and upset sometimes too. Yeah, its kinda dumb to me that you would scream jesus in order to praise him, but hey, if it works for you. I like bands like thousand foot krutch, kutless, and 12 stones, I wouldn't consider them metal at all, just rock. They have some little screaming parts. Nothing big. But when it comes down to christian heavy metal, I think its weird. But I have no problem with it.
FrKn LoUd
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed May 16, 2007 11:05 am

Here's my take on Christian Metal: I don't get it personally. I am religious, and I also like rock music. I keep them seperate. Religious music should sound like religious music. I sing hymns in church and I don't really like it when people do pop songs with a religious and spiritual message. It's like they're tring to be hip and put on a show or something, which I don't believe should be the purpose of spiritual religious music.

As for rock music, I don't think that Jesus minds that sometimes we sing about things other than him, as long as it is reasonably positive or has some sort of uplifting purpose. So, I really don't see the point in "rocking for Jesus." Plus, christian lyrics do not go with death metal. The music (not the lyrics) conveys a positive or negative emotion too. So if you put positve lyrics with negative music, it sounds really rediculous.

You don't have to feel guilty if you like to rock sometimes, and putting lyrics about Jesus in the song is not going to atone for the "sin" of rocking out, which really isn't a sin in the first place.
EnTropY
new
new

Post Thu May 17, 2007 3:58 am

Metal has always been about the Truth and thats why it outlines hypocrisy in many areas concerning people who do not transcend the physical and of these key areas busy unfolding in global consciousness is the need of religion namely and very much so Christianity

so for Christians to be doing it makes very little sense whatsoever, and hence is heard in the quality of the music
Drumming = life
drumschick07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu May 17, 2007 6:09 am

I listen to a lot of christian rock bands. The ones that are screaming, I sometimes find myself forgeting the song is about god. I don't know how many of you listen to 12 stones, I love them but a lot of their songs don't even mention God or Jesus. I think if a rock band doesn't cuss and has a good positive message it is automatically considered christian. I was just in the bible book store the other day looking through some cd's and I Chevelle was in there. I NEVER even knew they were a christian band. I don't think listening to secular music is wrong or anything this is just my opinion on the whole christian metal thing.
FrKn LoUd
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu May 17, 2007 8:24 am

I think there is a difference between christian people who make rock music and christian rock, or whatever you want to call it. If I'm writing something that's personal, inevitably some of my religious beliefs are going to come through in the lyrics or music, but the purpose of the music is not nessisarily to worship. It seems to me that most christian rock is attempting to worship or direct one's attention towards God, but ironically, only draws attention to itself because of the rediculous combination of worshipful lyrics and worldly music.
Scogar
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:23 pm

With Blood Comes Cleansing is a local Christian Death Metal Band that just signed to Victory Records about two months ago. They are insanely talented.

As has been said, There are plenty of "heavier" bands that bring a Christian message.

I think some genres are more maluble to different messages, but I also belive that any style of music, even instrumentals, can and should carry some sort of meaning or message.
Drums ARE my life.
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:37 pm

Scogar wrote:With Blood Comes Cleansing is a local Christian Death Metal Band that just signed to Victory Records about two months ago. They are insanely talented.

As has been said, There are plenty of "heavier" bands that bring a Christian message.

I think some genres are more maluble to different messages, but I also belive that any style of music, even instrumentals, can and should carry some sort of meaning or message.

And what sort of meaning or message does the instrumental portion of Christian Death Metal convey?
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:02 pm

I've mostly been writing songs about cigarettes....which has nothing to do with this.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:15 pm

i'm not a huge fan of a lot of christian metal bands...but i will stand by the fact that barely any of them are actually "worship" bands. most christian metal bands have christian themes and subjects behind their lyrics. very few really have lyrics like "praise jesus", "god is good", or anything like that.
Beat on.
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:50 am

break the prism wrote:i'm not a huge fan of a lot of christian metal bands...but i will stand by the fact that barely any of them are actually "worship" bands. most christian metal bands have christian themes and subjects behind their lyrics. very few really have lyrics like "praise jesus", "god is good", or anything like that.

Zao - The Splinter Shards the Birth of Seperation - he screams "praise jesus" over and over and the end of a song

Mortal Treason - A Call to Martyrs - the last song on the CD the guy straight up just speaks about Jesus and how hes always there for you and then it goes into an instrumental i do believe.

Living Sacrifice - has a lot of lyrics about just living each day and praises god for it and "Reject"ing things that go against his word.

With Blood comes cleansing for the most part i think has story based lyrics about Jesus' life but yet still have a message that they want to spread.

These are just a few. there are plenty more out there with lyrics praising jesus.
BleechDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:57 pm

Yea im a christain and LOVE the metal genre As I Lay Dying is probally my favorite band...........christain metal can happen and has been happening for quite awhile.........
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:57 pm

everyone interested in christian heavy metal should check out GOLGOTHA. they are a local band we used 2 play with. their old band used 2 open for Pantera. If u think heavy metal cant be christian u r VERY wrong!
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:09 pm

PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
Crash101
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:06 pm

if you want to hear a really good christian band check out Extol, they have an awesome drummer.
disciple is another good christian metal band too.
if you're gonna rock then rock for the rock
kylevater wrote:my girlfriend doesnt mind me posting on dml
oh wait did i say girlfriend? i meant mom
Crash101
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:11 pm

when it comes down to it in a christian ministry its about, why you do what you do, the heart behind the message, how you say it has nothing to do with the actual message.
God calls ppl to the metal ministry because sometimes thats the only way to get some ppls attention.
if you're gonna rock then rock for the rock
kylevater wrote:my girlfriend doesnt mind me posting on dml
oh wait did i say girlfriend? i meant mom