Christian Heavy Metal?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
stump
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2916
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:56 am
Location: Columbia, SC

Post Tue May 15, 2007 8:38 am

How did this post turn from a post into a pissing contest??? It's a simple question about the world of music. Don't disrespect someone for their opinion. And keep it about music!!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

Image
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Tue May 15, 2007 8:44 am

when did this thread turn in to a pissing contest?

the question that started this thread set the tone for a discussion about a genre of music and peoples' opinions on the subject.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Dallas Texass

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:01 am

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:sorry. i tried to keep my athiest-ass out of this discussion...
but i've gotta say i think christian metal singers are down right heeeeeeeeeee-larious.
screaming. growling. yelling.... about... christ?
i scream. growl. yell because i'm angry (arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!) not because i'm singing about the glory of god.
to me, it simply doesn't make sense.
you wouldn't bark 'happy birthday' at someone.
with that being said, i don't see how someone can say there's no such thing as "christian" metal.
it just seems like the music defines the genre. not the lyrics (exceptions go to categories like "black metal" and, of course, "christian metal" which are defined solely by their religious/anti-religious lyrical content)


There's plenty of things that christians have to be angry about
Most of my friends that believe are really pissed off about how their "leaders" are ruining the way the publice percieves them
There are TONS of christians who think it is wrong to mix politics with religion
Our president evokes the name of god every time he lies about the war
How could a christian NOT be offended by that?

Secondly, they are also very pissed about how badly their music is being co-opted by the music industry
Just like satanic metal that is all pentagrams and lyrics about killing babies on the surface with no real core belief to back it up, there are tons of new christian bands that have no real core belief in christ
Yeah, they go to church etc... but most are just using it go get booked at christian clubs
It must suck real bad right now to be a christian because of all the negative things that higher profile christians are doing to fuck this country in a big way

As far as "Keeping it about music" as stump said
Well, culture IS music
They're inseperable
Culture produces music
Without it, there's no meaning behind the music
It's just notes with no soul
You say irritant, I say catalyst
User avatar
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1748
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:22 am
Location: Aurora Colorado

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:17 am

Rockula! wrote:
There's plenty of things that christians have to be angry about
Most of my friends that believe are really pissed off about how their "leaders" are ruining the way the publice percieves them
There are TONS of christians who think it is wrong to mix politics with religion
Our president evokes the name of god every time he lies about the war
How could a christian NOT be offended by that?

Secondly, they are also very pissed about how badly their music is being co-opted by the music industry
Just like satanic metal that is all pentagrams and lyrics about killing babies on the surface with no real core belief to back it up, there are tons of new christian bands that have no real core belief in christ
Yeah, they go to church etc... but most are just using it go get booked at christian clubs
It must suck real bad right now to be a christian because of all the negative things that higher profile christians are doing to fuck this country in a big way

As far as "Keeping it about music" as stump said
Well, culture IS music
They're inseperable
Culture produces music
Without it, there's no meaning behind the music
It's just notes with no soul


I don't see many Christian bands bitching about George Bush, Fred Phelps, or "all the things that higher profile Christians are doing to fuck this country in a big way" (as you put it ). Maybe if they did it would be easier to take them more seriously.
pearldrummer_05
new
new
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:57 pm
Location: 321-FLA-USA

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:42 am

i went to cornerstone this weekend and saw many bands all of which where christian, and there are many metal bands there... if you wanna check some out check out "the showdown", "maylene and the sons of disaster", and "the black regiment"
GIT BIT
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Tue May 15, 2007 9:52 am

Rockula! wrote:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:sorry. i tried to keep my athiest-ass out of this discussion...
but i've gotta say i think christian metal singers are down right heeeeeeeeeee-larious.
screaming. growling. yelling.... about... christ?
i scream. growl. yell because i'm angry (arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!) not because i'm singing about the glory of god.
to me, it simply doesn't make sense.
you wouldn't bark 'happy birthday' at someone.
with that being said, i don't see how someone can say there's no such thing as "christian" metal.
it just seems like the music defines the genre. not the lyrics (exceptions go to categories like "black metal" and, of course, "christian metal" which are defined solely by their religious/anti-religious lyrical content)


There's plenty of things that christians have to be angry about
Most of my friends that believe are really pissed off about how their "leaders" are ruining the way the publice percieves them
There are TONS of christians who think it is wrong to mix politics with religion
Our president evokes the name of god every time he lies about the war
How could a christian NOT be offended by that?

Secondly, they are also very pissed about how badly their music is being co-opted by the music industry
Just like satanic metal that is all pentagrams and lyrics about killing babies on the surface with no real core belief to back it up, there are tons of new christian bands that have no real core belief in christ
Yeah, they go to church etc... but most are just using it go get booked at christian clubs
It must suck real bad right now to be a christian because of all the negative things that higher profile christians are doing to fuck this country in a big way

As far as "Keeping it about music" as stump said
Well, culture IS music
They're inseperable
Culture produces music
Without it, there's no meaning behind the music
It's just notes with no soul


as Empyrean Drums said, i really don't see many "christian" bands singing about the injustices whack job right wingers are doing to them. if they were, then sure, they'd have something to yell about.

i just find christian hardcore/metal singers amusing. all the screaming, yelling and testosterone in the name of the lord.

i find it amusing in the same way i'd find it amusing if a death metal / grindcore band growled a song about how soft and cuddly puppies are.

sure "real" christian bands have a right to be pissed off at those that co-opted their music and their message to make some cash, but that's not what any christian metal band that i've heard of are screaming about.

regarding stump's comments... he simply said this was turning in to a pissing match. i don't think it is. i think people have been very respectable at keeping to the subject at hand.
User avatar
PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Kailua, HI

Post Tue May 15, 2007 10:52 am

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:sorry. i tried to keep my athiest-ass out of this discussion...

but i've gotta say i think christian metal singers are down right heeeeeeeeeee-larious.

screaming. growling. yelling.... about... christ?

i scream. growl. yell because i'm angry (arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!) not because i'm singing about the glory of god.

to me, it simply doesn't make sense.

you wouldn't bark 'happy birthday' at someone.

with that being said, i don't see how someone can say there's no such thing as "christian" metal.

it just seems like the music defines the genre. not the lyrics (exceptions go to categories like "black metal" and, of course, "christian metal" which are defined solely by their religious/anti-religious lyrical content)



Hehe, aparently you have never watched Metalocalypse :wink:
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Tue May 15, 2007 12:04 pm

metalocalypse = one of the greatest shows ever. period.
User avatar
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Tue May 15, 2007 12:10 pm

Where can we find this Metalocalypse?
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Image
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Tue May 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Call me Gideon wrote:Where can we find this Metalocalypse?


it's on cartoon network's adult swim...

or you can YouTube it.

enjoy.

my favorites are the ones with Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown.
User avatar
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: NY

Post Tue May 15, 2007 2:14 pm

stump wrote:How did this post turn from a post into a pissing contest??? It's a simple question about the world of music. Don't disrespect someone for their opinion. And keep it about music!!


I think it's because both religion and metal are pissing contests in one form or another.
User avatar
Howepirate
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2480
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Englewood Florida

Post Tue May 15, 2007 6:39 pm

Rockula! wrote:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:sorry. i tried to keep my athiest-ass out of this discussion...
but i've gotta say i think christian metal singers are down right heeeeeeeeeee-larious.
screaming. growling. yelling.... about... christ?
i scream. growl. yell because i'm angry (arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!) not because i'm singing about the glory of god.
to me, it simply doesn't make sense.
you wouldn't bark 'happy birthday' at someone.
with that being said, i don't see how someone can say there's no such thing as "christian" metal.
it just seems like the music defines the genre. not the lyrics (exceptions go to categories like "black metal" and, of course, "christian metal" which are defined solely by their religious/anti-religious lyrical content)


There's plenty of things that christians have to be angry about
Most of my friends that believe are really pissed off about how their "leaders" are ruining the way the publice percieves them
There are TONS of christians who think it is wrong to mix politics with religion
Our president evokes the name of god every time he lies about the war
How could a christian NOT be offended by that?

Secondly, they are also very pissed about how badly their music is being co-opted by the music industry
Just like satanic metal that is all pentagrams and lyrics about killing babies on the surface with no real core belief to back it up, there are tons of new christian bands that have no real core belief in christ
Yeah, they go to church etc... but most are just using it go get booked at christian clubs
It must suck real bad right now to be a christian because of all the negative things that higher profile christians are doing to fuck this country in a big way

As far as "Keeping it about music" as stump said
Well, culture IS music
They're inseperable
Culture produces music
Without it, there's no meaning behind the music
It's just notes with no soul



Thank you so much for this post Rockula because i'm a christian and thats EXACTLY how i feel. I hate the fact that my former pastors were behind bush and their kid was fighting over in iraq and how they idiotically thought it was a "good cause" because these people dont have the same beliefs.


To me music has no pure labels i mean come on its all music when it boils down to it and just like the ever blending races of this world music is doing that of the same. So what if you dont like it! Dont listen to it! But dont bash on it either because it doesnt make sense to you and doesnt share the same beliefs as you. Your just as bad as a stuck up christian who believes in a war because its against what they believe!
vahnn
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:46 pm
Location: Fargo

Post Wed May 16, 2007 2:41 am

I wouldn't really consider them metal, but Underoath, Norma Jean, As Cities Burn....

Oh, and my favorite, The Chariot. People often times confuse them for satanic hell raisers. They're singing about Jesus.

I'm not christian, or religious in any way. But i approve of these bands.
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: UK

Post Wed May 16, 2007 5:18 am

Anti Christian Extreme Death Metal .. end of lol
Pure Deaththrash
EnTropY
new
new
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:38 am
Location: South Africa - Cape Town

Post Wed May 16, 2007 5:40 am

christians can try, but you have to embrace fear to do it properly
Drumming = life