Christian Heavy Metal?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Rockula!
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Dallas Texass

Post Mon May 14, 2007 10:24 am

Call me Gideon wrote:Rockula said-*Unfortunately, most christians don't see that line and do everything to force their beliefs upon other people*
When he should have said- *Unfortunately, most ACTIVISTS don't see that line and do everything to force their beliefs upon other people*


You just pointed out a generalization that I made
Hopefully, I corrected it
You say irritant, I say catalyst
User avatar
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Mon May 14, 2007 10:46 am

Yeah Rockula, thats cool. I pretty much agree with the rest of your post...and I do agree that all the christians that get any kind of attention are way overboard.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Image
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
User avatar
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:24 pm
Location: TX

Post Mon May 14, 2007 10:51 am

masonvonritchie wrote:
Howepirate wrote:being a christian myself i absolutly love it as a matter of fact im wearing an As I Lay Dying shirt right now lol and for a while i didnt even know they were christian until someone pointed them out and i listened to the lyrics more and hey why not listen to music that has a better message instead of the old cliche death death bloody bloody kill yourself lyrics like a lot of bands have out now...good christian metal bands i have are, As i Lay Dying of course, august burns red, Blindside, the chariot(really crazy drums and odd time sigs in some songs), Emery, Haste The Day, He Is Legend(good jazzy/screamo drummer), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(crazy southern rock band old screamer of Underoath), Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, Showbread, Still Remains, Underoath, War of Ages, With Blood Comes Cleansing, and Zao so if anyones interested check em out


you know, i have almost all of those bands in my music collection and I didn't even know they were Christian. go figure..






sometimes I think some bands just call themselves Christian to get on a record label.

Switchfoot was nominated for 6 dove awards (Christian music awards, for those who don't know) and didn't even bother to show up to accept them.

Probably because they were already on MTV by then and making a ton of money, so who needs Jesus anymore.
yee freakin' haw
drum man
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:02 pm

Post Mon May 14, 2007 11:28 am

yeah a band can totaly be christan and play heavy metal.
look at bands like With Blood Comes Cleansing there a great death metal band, and there highly christan. the sad thing is that these bands arent realy embrassed by most christans because they think of metal as satanic but most of them realy arent. christan metal bands just spread the word in a differet way then people would expect and reach different groups of people.
User avatar
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:57 am
Location: Minneapolis MN

Post Mon May 14, 2007 2:42 pm

SmellsLikeIan wrote:
masonvonritchie wrote:
Howepirate wrote:being a christian myself i absolutly love it as a matter of fact im wearing an As I Lay Dying shirt right now lol and for a while i didnt even know they were christian until someone pointed them out and i listened to the lyrics more and hey why not listen to music that has a better message instead of the old cliche death death bloody bloody kill yourself lyrics like a lot of bands have out now...good christian metal bands i have are, As i Lay Dying of course, august burns red, Blindside, the chariot(really crazy drums and odd time sigs in some songs), Emery, Haste The Day, He Is Legend(good jazzy/screamo drummer), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(crazy southern rock band old screamer of Underoath), Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, Showbread, Still Remains, Underoath, War of Ages, With Blood Comes Cleansing, and Zao so if anyones interested check em out


you know, i have almost all of those bands in my music collection and I didn't even know they were Christian. go figure..






sometimes I think some bands just call themselves Christian to get on a record label.

Switchfoot was nominated for 6 dove awards (Christian music awards, for those who don't know) and didn't even bother to show up to accept them.

Probably because they were already on MTV by then and making a ton of money, so who needs Jesus anymore.


id really like to disagree with this but seeing as though there are bands that have satanic symbols on stage just for "show", makes me think how many "christian bands" are actually christian. huh.

it can also go the other way around. a label may not think being christian is marketable, so they tell them to tone it down a little. ive noticed this in a few bands. especially in straight edge hardcore bands that drop the X's before and after their names because its not "marketable"
Piddywiffle
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:46 am
Location: champaign, Ill

Post Mon May 14, 2007 7:33 pm

Jon_Norman wrote:Piddywiffle wrote:
I dont think many christians are following drinking/fighting/drugs.


Just wondering what you think of straight edge (no drinking, no recreational drugs, no smoking) bands. (example: Throwdown - not a Christian band)

You just cant take your opinion and shove it down everyones throat. If you do attempt to, know what your talking about.


Enjoy the music!
Jonathan Norman



Um... part of being a christian this day and age is not to drink/smoke/fight. Catholics get the slightly better end of the deal because they can do such things.

So maybe i do know what im talking about and your just pissed off cause im right. If the band sings about drinking/fighting/drugs then they call themselves christians... well it would mean they are lying to themselves and you. So pick a liar as your role model. I dont care.

Either way the thread was about opinion. I never shoved anything down anyones throat. I just stated a fact in a blunt matter. Sorry if it offended you. But I stick by my own resoning for this thread.
Falling down the stairs at the age of five was my first drum solo.

"They arn't dirty pants dude... That film is a protective barrier from all other bacterium" Quote from my roommate approx 1 month ago.
User avatar
Howepirate
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2480
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:00 am
Location: Englewood Florida

Post Tue May 15, 2007 4:49 am

Call me Gideon wrote:*Unfortunately, most christians don't see that line and do everything to force their beliefs upon other people*

I dont want to start an argument on a totally different topic but I HAVE to disagree with Rockula on this. While I agree that there are a LOT of christians that do this, I dont think that its the majority. Unfortunatly the christians that dont try to force their religion on people dont get noticed. Most people probably have no idea Im a christian. If someone asks about my beliefs I will tell them and Im not shy about telling them when i disagree with something that they believe but I never try to tell them that they dont have the right to believe whatever they want. I think people would be surprised at how many christians out there are like that. Quiet people that try to live good lives and witness to someone when opportunity presents itself, never beating people over the head with "you're going to hell if you dont believe the way I do". Its the loud obnoxious ones that get noticed though. *shrug*


Same here dude
User avatar
killdrum1983
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:11 am
Location: Belgium

Post Tue May 15, 2007 4:58 am

i have friends who play christian hardcore (www.myspace.com/forthedayofredemption) and even if i was a bit surprised when i first read the lyrics i think it's cool. You don't have to have a certain style to fit into that or that music i you want to go for it....
User avatar
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Tue May 15, 2007 6:40 am

I actually have a question here, and correct me if Im wrong but, there are people on here referring to Christian Death Metal. Now Im not HUGE into metal. I have my groups that I like and thats about it but, if Im not mistaken, it would be impossible to be Death Metal and be christian. My uderstanding of Death Metal is that it can be just about any kinda metal, speed, thrash, heavy, but the Death part is more about lyrical content. I may very well be wrong, since I dont listen to Death Metal, but I was just wondering.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Image
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
User avatar
drummert2k
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 am
Location: Northumberland, PA

Post Tue May 15, 2007 7:24 am

Call me Gideon wrote:I actually have a question here, and correct me if Im wrong but, there are people on here referring to Christian Death Metal. Now Im not HUGE into metal. I have my groups that I like and thats about it but, if Im not mistaken, it would be impossible to be Death Metal and be christian. My uderstanding of Death Metal is that it can be just about any kinda metal, speed, thrash, heavy, but the Death part is more about lyrical content. I may very well be wrong, since I dont listen to Death Metal, but I was just wondering.


very good question. i've been watching this thread quite a bit because i am a little confussed myself with how you can be a christian band but call it death metal. im not knocking metal or christians here. i've always been under the assumption as well that death metal was catagorized more by the lyrics rather than the style of metal.
Jon_Norman
beginner
beginner
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 11:09 am

Post Tue May 15, 2007 7:27 am

Call me Gideon wrote:I actually have a question here, and correct me if Im wrong but, there are people on here referring to Christian Death Metal. Now Im not HUGE into metal. I have my groups that I like and thats about it but, if Im not mistaken, it would be impossible to be Death Metal and be christian. My uderstanding of Death Metal is that it can be just about any kinda metal, speed, thrash, heavy, but the Death part is more about lyrical content. I may very well be wrong, since I dont listen to Death Metal, but I was just wondering.


I agree with you .... it doesnt really make sense.

Also I would like to apologize to piddywiffle. I did jump the gun a lilttle. I was not offended, just creating an arguement, but sounded like an asshole while doing it. Sorry.

Enjoy the music!
jonathan Norman
User avatar
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Tue May 15, 2007 8:09 am

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that was a little confused! lol
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Image
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Tue May 15, 2007 8:12 am

sorry. i tried to keep my athiest-ass out of this discussion...

but i've gotta say i think christian metal singers are down right heeeeeeeeeee-larious.

screaming. growling. yelling.... about... christ?

i scream. growl. yell because i'm angry (arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh!!!) not because i'm singing about the glory of god.

to me, it simply doesn't make sense.

you wouldn't bark 'happy birthday' at someone.

with that being said, i don't see how someone can say there's no such thing as "christian" metal.

it just seems like the music defines the genre. not the lyrics (exceptions go to categories like "black metal" and, of course, "christian metal" which are defined solely by their religious/anti-religious lyrical content)
Last edited by sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire on Tue May 15, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Tue May 15, 2007 8:13 am

Actually Ive always though the same of Chrisitian metal. It doesnt matter what style of metal it is...the Christian comes from the lyrical content.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Image
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
User avatar
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Tue May 15, 2007 8:22 am

I've actually heard people say this about Christian metal before. It not making sense because of the tone of the music. While I can see where you're coming from...as musicians, we all play what we enjoy. If you like jazz, you play jazz, punk, punk, etc. If you're into metal but want to glorify God while playing metal then thats what you do. Not to get preachy but the Bible says, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.", it doesnt define what a joyful noise is. I think thats for individuals to decide for themselves.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Image
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox