Christian Heavy Metal?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 13, 2007 12:35 am

michiganice91 wrote:i personally enjoy jewish metal

Ah yes, there are many good Jewish metal bands. Like Slipsnot!
Piddywiffle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 13, 2007 3:11 am

No such thing as Christian heavy metal... for christs sake... learn what your listening too...

Black Metal: Satan. Thru and thru. If they talk about Satan a lot. It's black metal

Death Metal: Just what it sounds like. Death. A lot of these guys are "death worshipers" meaning they do not fear death at all and see it as a very positive thing when a room of people gets gunned down. Good example of this is Mayhem. When Dead blew his brains out, Euronymous was quoted as saying, "Dead went home". Totally nonchalant. His best friend killed himself and he didn't really care. It's what they do. Also he was found taking pieces of the skull and using them to make a necklace. (From Lords of Chaos)

Gore Metal: Again sounds like what it is. Vocals talk alot of evisicration and blood shed. Just for the sake of evisicration and bloodshed.

Pagan Metal: Harder to define. But basically it's about bands trying to get into Valhalla. Viking metal I guess is another way to put it.

Thrash/Speed/Heavy: A little harder to tell the differance. BUT the way I see it is they all talk about the same stuff (Beer/Drugs/Hardcore beatdowns). Basically being a badass. But Thrash is set up to be more sporadic and have a cunchier guitar sound. Speed (obviously) set to play fast. But will still hold the same basic lyrical contribution as thrash. Heavy metal(refer to Pantera or Hatebreed).

Progressive: Difficult for me to place. But if I were to take an educated guess the lyrical contributions follow a standard of emotion. I.E. Im pissed, i'm hurting, i'm happy, ect. A good example of this is plainly Devin Townsend. Musically it would probably follow a speed/heavy metal trend (in Devins case). But lyically its more or less about emotions and how they affect me (the vocalist)

Armegeddon Metal: Duh... End of the world. If they talk about firey rain and the ice age. End of mankind but make no real referance to God/Satan. Its Armeddon Metal.

But yea! See above... I dont think many christians are following drinking/fighting/drugs. Hence Christian heavy Metal is wrong. Christ Metal Maybe.... But heavy metal? Wrong... whoops... mistake and all that.

You cant make something new and put it in an older genre. Dont work. Never has. Never wiil.... Like I said. Learn what your talking about before you make assumtions.
Last edited by Piddywiffle on Sun May 13, 2007 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falling down the stairs at the age of five was my first drum solo.

"They arn't dirty pants dude... That film is a protective barrier from all other bacterium" Quote from my roommate approx 1 month ago.
Piddywiffle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 13, 2007 3:20 am

Screamkevin wrote: "In my mind, it's the music more than the lyrics that define a genre."

BZZZZZAAAATTTT! wrong.... How do you think music is classified?.... uh? Lyrics? Read lords of chaos.

And for music without lyrics? Uh?!?!?!?!?!

Orchestra? Maybe?

Dude you could do what Metallica did and make an album with a symphony background and guess what!!!! It's heavy metal!!!! WHY? Cause of what they are talking about.

Or be like Bork Nagir. And take a syphonic background and guess what! Cause they talk about worshiping satan. its Black Metal.... weird how that works.

LYRICS MEAN EVERYTHING TO HOW A BANDS PLACED.

I could take weezer and have em talk about worshiping satan and weeeee! They are Black metal/rock/progressive.

The End.. No disscussion cause your wrong.

Learn to place music. Go to school. Dont make assumptions. Cause chances are (without education) your wrong.

And as for Christian Heavy metal? I dont think so.... see above post.

"They arn't dirty pants dude... That film is a protective barrier from all other bacterium" Quote from my roommate approx 1 month ago.
Piddywiffle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 13, 2007 3:25 am

michiganice91 wrote:
Ah yes, there are many good Jewish metal bands. Like Slipsnot!

I noted you said Slipsnot.... so maybe this is a joke... But if not.

How is, "I wanna' slit your throat and f**k the wound" Jewish?

Daza73
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 13, 2007 5:04 am

im a christian and love as i lay dying stuff like haste the day although there new stuff is pretty crap compared to there older stuff
PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 13, 2007 11:34 am

Daza73 wrote:im a christian and love as i lay dying stuff like haste the day although there new stuff is pretty crap compared to there older stuff

Aha! EXACTLY! Did you read what Piddywiffle said, along with what I did earlier? What your listening to can hardly be considered metal. They're trying as hard as they can, but they are pretty much just emo and hardcore with an edge of metal attempts.

The bands that really SHOULD define the genre of metal could not possibly have room to talk about christianity. It doesn't mean that people that are christian shouldn't listen to it, it just means that the band is't christian, and if they are defining themselves as christian, it's probably just for publicity, or they are really dumb.

But in addition to what Piddywifle said, to a certain extent the music is what defines genre. But when you get into sub genres like Black/Doom/Funeral Doom/ Geddon, it pretty much all sounds the same anyways. It doesn't matter what the lyrics are :P
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Sun May 13, 2007 11:58 am

Keep in ind that I was not saying that you cannot be hardcore about your music and be a christian
Just like others have said, they didn't even know a band was christian because they couldn't understand the lyrics
What I'm saying is that the christian music industry has been known (up until now) to only support the easily digestible stuff like Amy Grant or Petra
It wasn't until they faced the prospect of losing a shitload of kids that they all of a sudden decided to accept really hardcore music

I can listen to Johnny Cash sing about the lord and then listen to Slayer say the exact opposite back to back
Christian lyrics don't bother me
Lame ass music does
You say irritant, I say catalyst
PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 13, 2007 12:14 pm

Agreed.
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun May 13, 2007 5:20 pm

Living Sacrifice were an insane christian death metal band. odly enough founded and based out of Little Rock Arkansas. my state haha. they toured the world for a long time and kicked alot of ass. people to this day still cant tell they are christian. then again they arent seasoned enough in death metal to hear the lyrics. look them up.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
Jon_Norman
beginner
beginner

Post Sun May 13, 2007 5:44 pm

Strait up I am a Christian. I do listen to Christian and non-Christian bands. (August Burns Red to Arche Enemy). While reading through the post I noticed someone say Christian being pushy about their faith. Again someone said Striper throwing bibles into the crowd. Well, its not really different from what some non-Christian bands do. The ratio of Christian and non-Christian bands throwing stuff into the crowd is probably taken by secular bands. Take GWAR for example, they cut up fake bodies on stage throwing the limbs into the crowd, not including the gallons of blood (fake of course) covering the stage, band members, and crowd. This is an extreme situation, yes, but Stiper throwing bibles at the crowd is a little extreme apparently. Also, I love the music. Isnt that what it is all about. People arnt gonna get sick of it because of some old foke saying it isnt rebellous. Johnny Cash was influenced by his parents type of music, he didnt care what anyone thought, he just loveed the music. So putting everything behind us. Just love the music. We are drummers, not lyric writters. If you are a lyric writer, put what you want into the song. What you write makes the music your faith.

Enjoy the music!
Jonathan Norman
Jon_Norman
beginner
beginner

Post Mon May 14, 2007 7:51 am

Piddywiffle wrote:
I dont think many christians are following drinking/fighting/drugs.

Just wondering what you think of straight edge (no drinking, no recreational drugs, no smoking) bands. (example: Throwdown - not a Christian band)

You just cant take your opinion and shove it down everyones throat. If you do attempt to, know what your talking about.

Enjoy the music!
Jonathan Norman
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Mon May 14, 2007 8:07 am

Jon_Norman wrote:Piddywiffle wrote:
I dont think many christians are following drinking/fighting/drugs.

Just wondering what you think of straight edge (no drinking, no recreational drugs, no smoking) bands. (example: Throwdown - not a Christian band)

You just cant take your opinion and shove it down everyones throat. If you do attempt to, know what your talking about.

Enjoy the music!
Jonathan Norman

more than half of the straight edge people i know really look down upon people who take part in the following activities and just act like a complete prick because they're "more pure" than you are. but their are a hadful of people i know who are really cool about it.

as for christian metal, im replying to whoever said genres are formulated by their lyrics and lyrics alone.

personally i believe its a combination of the two. for the most part i label bands into genres by what they sound like at first and further build upon that by listening to the lyrics. it HAS to be a combination of both.

on another note, some of the heaviest bands ive heard have been christian. ex. Living Sacrifice, With Blood Comes Cleansing to name a couple
Eiren
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon May 14, 2007 8:33 am

It's only really black metal that has an ideology that's totally anti-religion. It depends whether you're in the camp that defines black metal by the sound, or if you're in the camp that defines black metal by the principles behind it.

Satanism is a facet of Christianity. Don't forget that. Satan is a religious symbol.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Mon May 14, 2007 9:41 am

The difference between Stryper throwing bibles and Gwar throwing body parts is that people have not been murdering and torturing people for thousands of years because over some foam rubber body parts

I have tried to not allow my opinions on religion (especially christianity)seep into this conversation
One of the core beliefs about christianity is that they see it as their duty to bring the gospel to as many people as possible
Unfortunately, many zealots have taken this to mean that it is their duty to try to convert as many people as possible to their religion weather they want it or not
I never heard any quotes from Stryper that belied such an aggressive postion, they were pretty good about keeping their beliefs on their side of that line
Unfortunately, most christians don't see that line and do everything to force their beliefs upon other people
This is no more evident than in the evangelical community
When Jesuscomes back, he's going to be the first one to pissed off about this whole mixing politics with religion

Anyways, as long as you keep your beliefs on your side of the line then you are cool with me
I have personally heard more preaching from political punks than christians
Yeah, I hate Bush as much as you but I actually arrived at my opinion by myself and not because some activist told me part of the truth
Same goes with my belief in God

Lastly, I wanna address this comment
"I don't think mant christians are following drinking/fighting/drugs"

The bass player from my last band lived in Wilmer Minnesota and has worked groundskeeping several times at the Sonshine christian festival that comes through his home town every year
His job was basically to walk around the grounds and pick up trash etc...
He says the camping grounds were especially interesting to clean up because the entire field was littered with beer cans, booze bottles and condoms
In fact, the locals know that if you are going to need condoms during the time Sonshine is in town then you had better stock up early because everybody is sold out
The town even has to hire off duty police officers from out of town to check IDs at the liquor stores because there is a line of suspiciously young people trying to buy liquor

Of course, the reply to this is "No one is perfect and you're going to have some christians that go astray"
Unfortunately, that's little comfort to those of us who have to keep constant vigil against these same peoeple trying to force their ideals down my throat and take away my individual rights just because they conflict with their book and the way they interpret said book

I have yet to see national policy influenced by Buddhists, Taoists, Muslims, or even Satanists

Music is music
If you use it to communicate your feelings and emotions then I don't care what point of view it is coming from
You have the right to tell your story to anyone who wants to listen

Just make sure you know where that line is
You say irritant, I say catalyst
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon May 14, 2007 10:11 am

*Unfortunately, most christians don't see that line and do everything to force their beliefs upon other people*

I dont want to start an argument on a totally different topic but I HAVE to disagree with Rockula on this. While I agree that there are a LOT of christians that do this, I dont think that its the majority. Unfortunatly the christians that dont try to force their religion on people dont get noticed. Most people probably have no idea Im a christian. If someone asks about my beliefs I will tell them and Im not shy about telling them when i disagree with something that they believe but I never try to tell them that they dont have the right to believe whatever they want. I think people would be surprised at how many christians out there are like that. Quiet people that try to live good lives and witness to someone when opportunity presents itself, never beating people over the head with "you're going to hell if you dont believe the way I do". Its the loud obnoxious ones that get noticed though. *shrug*
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox