Christian Heavy Metal?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:18 pm

Mainiacdrummer wrote:yaeh... there are alot of really good christian metal bands. as i lay dying, haste the day, and august burns red are some of the best in my opinion

I love August Burns Red
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
DreamT
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:08 pm

Bands like Still Breathing, Marked, Demon Hunter, etc. are great examples of great Metal Bands that put christian lyrics in their songs. You can't define a style as bad or vulgar it's the spirit the song is played in and the message that comes from them.
Mainiacdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:29 pm

masonvonritchie wrote:
Mainiacdrummer wrote:yaeh... there are alot of really good christian metal bands. as i lay dying, haste the day, and august burns red are some of the best in my opinion

I love August Burns Red

there really good live :)
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri May 11, 2007 6:41 pm

Ok...I was readin this earlier today and the more I thought about it the more something bugged me. Ill come right out and admit that Im a christian and that back in the day, you could definitly tell when you were listening to a christian metal band. There was just a flavor to it that was different from a secular band. This is whats buggin me...if you profess to be a "christian" band, shouldnt people be able to tell that thats where youre comin from? The primary tenant of Christianity was to minister to the world about your beliefs. If people can own your cd and love it and have no idea that your a christian band I would think thats kind of defeating the purpose of BEING a christian band. Just my opinion. *shrug*
BTW...I have never been in a chritian band of any kind just listened to a lot of them when I was younger.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Fri May 11, 2007 6:53 pm

Tourniquet, in my opinion, is one of the best modern metal bands out there, and they are Christian-based.
Beat on.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Fri May 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Let's examine certain philosophies that are central to both Metal and christianity

Metal-Celebrates rebellion
Christianity- Condemns rebellion as a sin (rebellion against your parents, rebellion against god etc...)
Metal- Glorifies the idea of chaos and destruction
Christianity- Glorifying anything other than god is a sin (especially chaos and destruction)

How can two diametrically opposed philosophies exist together?
There are thousands of christian bands
There are even hundreds of good christian bands
Any genre you can think of has a christian sub-genre

What made these christian organizations that previously only fostered the safe, bland and non threatening types of music decide that it was time to start approving of more aggressive and varied genres?
Why are so many christian bands playing what was previously thought of as "The Devil's Music?"

Could it have anything to do with the profit potential?
Could it have anything to do with the fact that the 90's saw a sharp decline in younger preople going to church?
Could it be that they had to begrudgingly accept the Devil's music in order to keep the doors open?

Christian rock is a HUGE industry
Their festivals are still making money when Lollapalooza can't even get off the ground
Just like low income neigborhood organizations taking over old buildings and converting them into churches, so is the enterprising new christian club owner looking for venues

Dallas is currently witnessing a declining entertainment district slowly drop dead club by club
Choking on it's own greed and lack of forward vision
Places that once hosted legendary events like the Nirvana show where Kurt got his ass kicked to Pearl Jam playing in front of a crowd of 20 are now empty shells with For Lease signs all over them
The Gypsy Tea Room was one of the last venues that hosted national touring acts in Deep Ellum
It will be closing it's doors as well
But you won't see a for lease sign on it because The Door, the local christian rock club, is taking the space
The Door can barely keep it's door closed
During the summer, you can see a show pretty much every day
There's always a line down the block

Who could resist such a lucrative demographic?
After all
They did it to grunge
They did it to rap
They did it to every single underground genre that could possibly yeild a profit
Why leave the christians out of it?
Not only that, but you have a much more maleable and accpeting customer base
Most of these kids will eat up pretty much any band their youth minister allows to play the meeting hall at their church

This will come to pass as well once kids start to realise that it's not so rebellious to go listen to a grindcore band when your youth minister is rockin' out next to you
If your parents approve of the concerts you are going to then you either have cool parents or your music is LAME

In summation
Christian bands don't suck because they are christian
People that jump on trends in order to gain the largest success as quickly as possible do suck
What makes it all the more offensive is that it is being done by people who use religious oriented businesses to make themselves extremely well off

Ever seen a youth minister on a spending spree in a music store?
Who do you think ends up owning that $3000 Taylor acoustic guitar?
That's right
The guy who just parked his giant Dodge Ram Deisel in the parking lot
All paid for by the church
Why?
Because he keeps the kids coming back and that means more money from their parents

They didn't accept my music when I was a kid
Why should I accept theirs now that they were forced to catch up?
You say irritant, I say catalyst
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri May 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Back in the day I listened to alot of Christian Metal. Deliverance, Tourniquet and Vengeance Rising were probably my 3 favorites. A lot of it was good music but there was just SOMETHING...some aspect of it, that set it apart from secular metal. The CM bands of today have lost that and the way things seem to stand with these bands I say they should just call themselves metal. Lose the christian. You can be a christian and be in a band and not have it be a christian metal, rock, rap, whatever group.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Fri May 11, 2007 9:53 pm

heres a list of some of my favorite christian metal bands.

Living Sacrifice
Underoath
With Blood Comes Cleansing
Zao(pre blood and fire)

and in my local scene there a few good metal christian bands
Charis
Venia
Howepirate

Post Sat May 12, 2007 4:46 am

Rockula! wrote:Let's examine certain philosophies that are central to both Metal and christianity

Metal-Celebrates rebellion
Christianity- Condemns rebellion as a sin (rebellion against your parents, rebellion against god etc...)
Metal- Glorifies the idea of chaos and destruction
Christianity- Glorifying anything other than god is a sin (especially chaos and destruction)

How can two diametrically opposed philosophies exist together?
There are thousands of christian bands
There are even hundreds of good christian bands
Any genre you can think of has a christian sub-genre

What made these christian organizations that previously only fostered the safe, bland and non threatening types of music decide th"at it was time to start approving of more aggressive and varied genres?
Why are so many christian bands playing what was previously thought of as "The Devil's Music?"

Could it have anything to do with the profit potential?
Could it have anything to do with the fact that the 90's saw a sharp decline in younger preople going to church?
Could it be that they had to begrudgingly accept the Devil's music in order to keep the doors open?

Christian rock is a HUGE industry
Their festivals are still making money when Lollapalooza can't even get off the ground
Just like low income neigborhood organizations taking over old buildings and converting them into churches, so is the enterprising new christian club owner looking for venues

Dallas is currently witnessing a declining entertainment district slowly drop dead club by club
Choking on it's own greed and lack of forward vision
Places that once hosted legendary events like the Nirvana show where Kurt got his ass kicked to Pearl Jam playing in front of a crowd of 20 are now empty shells with For Lease signs all over them
The Gypsy Tea Room was one of the last venues that hosted national touring acts in Deep Ellum
It will be closing it's doors as well
But you won't see a for lease sign on it because The Door, the local christian rock club, is taking the space
The Door can barely keep it's door closed
During the summer, you can see a show pretty much every day
There's always a line down the block

Who could resist such a lucrative demographic?
After all
They did it to grunge
They did it to rap
They did it to every single underground genre that could possibly yeild a profit
Why leave the christians out of it?
Not only that, but you have a much more maleable and accpeting customer base
Most of these kids will eat up pretty much any band their youth minister allows to play the meeting hall at their church

This will come to pass as well once kids start to realise that it's not so rebellious to go listen to a grindcore band when your youth minister is rockin' out next to you
If your parents approve of the concerts you are going to then you either have cool parents or your music is LAME

In summation
Christian bands don't suck because they are christian
People that jump on trends in order to gain the largest success as quickly as possible do suck
What makes it all the more offensive is that it is being done by people who use religious oriented businesses to make themselves extremely well off

Ever seen a youth minister on a spending spree in a music store?
Who do you think ends up owning that $3000 Taylor acoustic guitar?
That's right
The guy who just parked his giant Dodge Ram Deisel in the parking lot
All paid for by the church
Why?
Because he keeps the kids coming back and that means more money from their parents

They didn't accept my music when I was a kid
Why should I accept theirs now that they were forced to catch up?

I argue with you in some points but this is probably the main reason i stopped going to church though i went to a very small church that didnt have a lot "church charity" programs, it still held a lot of beliefs that i didnt come to agree with.

Don't stereotype so harshly though bro because kids can really come to guidance and get out of a lot of bad trouble and such through church. But i do see where your coming from.
Conor
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat May 12, 2007 5:23 am

ya sure, if you like metal and are christian why not put the two together? look at underoath and as i lay dying, they're great
Pearl, Zildjian, Promark, Paiste
stump

Post Sat May 12, 2007 12:05 pm

I agree...metal is a genre of music. Lyrics can be plugged into any genre of music. Being an 80's guy I can say that I listened to Stryper and unless you listened to the lyrics or knew the background you would have figure that they were just another hair band. I actually had to read the lyrics to my mom so she would not think that they were playing Devil's music. Yes I grew up in the Kiss, Ozzy, Metallica, Tipper Gore era!! LOL!! You guys who grew up then know what I am talking about. Anyways....In my opinion ..Yes a Christian band can play metal. And remember...He is why we are here and able to do what we do and love!!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

PatternsInTheIvy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat May 12, 2007 1:09 pm

Howepirate wrote:being a christian myself i absolutly love it as a matter of fact im wearing an As I Lay Dying shirt right now lol and for a while i didnt even know they were christian until someone pointed them out and i listened to the lyrics more and hey why not listen to music that has a better message instead of the old cliche death death bloody bloody kill yourself lyrics like a lot of bands have out now...good christian metal bands i have are, As i Lay Dying of course, august burns red, Blindside, the chariot(really crazy drums and odd time sigs in some songs), Emery, Haste The Day, He Is Legend(good jazzy/screamo drummer), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(crazy southern rock band old screamer of Underoath), Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, Showbread, Still Remains, Underoath, War of Ages, With Blood Comes Cleansing, and Zao so if anyones interested check em out

Eh, those are all kind of, well, mainstream bands that are just yuck. So many people are like them, christian or not.

More to the point, yes you can have Christian metal bands, and there are, but for some weird reason all the christian "metal" bands are more hardcore than anything. Real, true metal, is almost impossible to associate with christianity. It's why you don't hear any christian bands that sound like Opeth, or Nevermore, or Kamelot, or Rhapsody, or Tool, or Dimmu Borgir( by the way has anyone heard there new album? It's pretty awesome) or Children of Bodom, or Daylight Dies, or Arch Enemy, and those are bands just off the top of my head/ on my play list. It just, doesn't really fit when you can actually understand what the singer is saying :p
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat May 12, 2007 3:47 pm

Are there any Muslim metal bands out there?

"Monotonix" are from Tel Aviv, Israel and their drummer plays standing.
Cretin1
beginner
beginner

Post Sat May 12, 2007 4:24 pm

I don't know about this...I believe I've heard christian metal bands that, if anything are MORE hardcore than some other metal bands. I don't really believe that there's anyway somebody could say that christianity and "true" metal are in direct opposition to each other. To do that, you'd have to think that your favorite TYPE of metal is the only kind of hard edged music that can be called metal. Aaand, if you do believe that then that is something that most of us would refer to as an OPINION. Music is music. You know when you're hearing a metal band by the time the first chord has been struck, regardless of the lyrics. Christian Metal is still metal. And as with all styles of music, you either like it or you don't.
Drums are to music as water is to goldfish.
michiganice91
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat May 12, 2007 6:34 pm

i personally enjoy jewish metal