Christian Heavy Metal?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:08 pm

Does anybody believe that heavy metal songs can be Christian songs? Metal is so often affiliated with death and destruction but I for one don't believe that always has to be true... Anyone else think the same?
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
drummert2k

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:18 am

if a christian group or songwritter enjoys the metal genre but wants to have a positive message behind i say go for it. theres no law of music that says a cirtain style has to have lyrics about a cirtain thing.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:21 pm

masonvonritchie wrote:Does anybody believe that heavy metal songs can be Christian songs? Metal is so often affiliated with death and destruction but I for one don't believe that always has to be true... Anyone else think the same?

Is there an exact criterior that makes something metal and something else not? Metal seems to be a pretty wide genre to me.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
screamkevin

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:16 pm

Take away any of the lyrics to a Cannibal Corpse song. Is it still metal? Sure it is, listen to the music. Put in Christian lyrics. Is it still metal? Sure it is.

In my mind, it's the music more than the lyrics that define a genre.

Back before hardcore metal got really popular, "hair" metal ruled the day. Dig up some old Stryper, from "Soldiers Under Command" for example. They sounded just as hard as any other metal band of the day (Ratt, Quiet Riot, Ozzy, etc.), but they happened to be born-again Christians, and had Christian lyrics.

Sure, Billy Graham thought that they were Satan re-incarnated, but then again, he's a money-grubbing moron. Point is, they looked metal (keep in mind what metal was at that time), they sounded metal, they were metal, just Christian metal. But metal is metal is metal.

Is there an exact criteria that makes something metal and something else not? Metal seems to be a pretty wide genre to me.

If you get VH1 Classic, look for the movie, "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey". It's done by Sam Dunn, a Canadian metalhead who researched the heck out of metal. Outstanding look at the music.
You can find out more about the movie and buy it on DVD here: http://www.metalhistory.com/

Enjoy.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:52 pm

Wow I didn't know that about Stryper. Thanks for the insight

Pacific CX Series kit
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
screamkevin

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:30 am

Christian Hard Rock/Metal bands to check out:

http://christianmusic.about.com/od/meta ... _Bands.htm

I like some of these bands, and HIGHLY recommend Pillar, 1,000 Foot Krutch, Kutless, and Underoath.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Mad_cow
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:20 pm

Look up the band Mortification,

If you weren't a seasoned Black Metal fan, and couldn't understand groweling, you would never know they are Christian.

Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:12 pm

Anything goes with any type of music. Metal is no different than any other style in my opinion. I love metal. Write whatever you want to write about. Just don't be surprised if some people love it while others are offended by it. That's the way it is. The only thing that bothers me personally is if things are too preachy, whether it be music, books, movies, television, anything. Give me the facts and let me formulate my own opinion or belief thanks. :)

"Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" was enjoyable, but as Sam Dunn said himself, could have been much longer. It really just scratches the surface of metal and the culture. Understandable when you can only keep a movie to a certain length.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Timekeep69

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:32 pm

There are alot of great Christian metal bands. A couple to check out are Demon Hunter and Immortal Soul.

A couple others are Pillar and Skillet.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
DrumBum1992
new
new

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:35 pm

I think that christian heavy metal is perfectily fine the music still sounds the same as any other heavy metal band but has the message of god behind it

Howepirate

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:16 am

being a christian myself i absolutly love it as a matter of fact im wearing an As I Lay Dying shirt right now lol and for a while i didnt even know they were christian until someone pointed them out and i listened to the lyrics more and hey why not listen to music that has a better message instead of the old cliche death death bloody bloody kill yourself lyrics like a lot of bands have out now...good christian metal bands i have are, As i Lay Dying of course, august burns red, Blindside, the chariot(really crazy drums and odd time sigs in some songs), Emery, Haste The Day, He Is Legend(good jazzy/screamo drummer), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(crazy southern rock band old screamer of Underoath), Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, Showbread, Still Remains, Underoath, War of Ages, With Blood Comes Cleansing, and Zao so if anyones interested check em out
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:59 am

Howepirate wrote:being a christian myself i absolutly love it as a matter of fact im wearing an As I Lay Dying shirt right now lol and for a while i didnt even know they were christian until someone pointed them out and i listened to the lyrics more and hey why not listen to music that has a better message instead of the old cliche death death bloody bloody kill yourself lyrics like a lot of bands have out now...good christian metal bands i have are, As i Lay Dying of course, august burns red, Blindside, the chariot(really crazy drums and odd time sigs in some songs), Emery, Haste The Day, He Is Legend(good jazzy/screamo drummer), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster(crazy southern rock band old screamer of Underoath), Mortal Treason, Norma Jean, Showbread, Still Remains, Underoath, War of Ages, With Blood Comes Cleansing, and Zao so if anyones interested check em out

you know, i have almost all of those bands in my music collection and I didn't even know they were Christian. go figure..

Pacific CX Series kit
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:02 am

OMG! Stryper! What a terrible band!
On the other hand, I didn't like the "non-Christian" bands in that genre either, so it wasn't because they were a "Christian Metal Band".
But Stryper had to bring it forward in an almost obsessive way (their Christianity) and I hated them for that.
And; Throwing bibles at the audience during concerts?
Gimme a break! :evil:

Others endorsing Christianity in Metal?

Well, King's X for one! And they are a great band too! 8)
They may be less obvious in the sense of Christian Metal, but sure have their references alright.

Me? I like them because they are a good band, regardless of beliefs! :wink:
ImageImageImage
Mainiacdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:05 pm

yaeh... there are alot of really good christian metal bands. as i lay dying, haste the day, and august burns red are some of the best in my opinion
nosnarb
new
new

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm

no one has mentioned Blindside and I didnt see them on the link that was posted.

http://www.blindsideonline.com/

For some reason I have never been much of a fan of Christian Bands, I suppose its because many of them tried too hard to be like their secular counterparts.