Tuning cowbells??

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:16 am

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows a way that you can alter the pitch of a cowbell. I don't mean seriously changing the note, but I have a set of tuned tribells made by AFRO, and I noticed that two of the bells are slightly flat (meaning they are lower in pitch than they should be) relative to the note of the first one. Anyone know if this can be fixed?
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:09 am

Johnny Cat wrote:Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows a way that you can alter the pitch of a cowbell. I don't mean seriously changing the note, but I have a set of tuned tribells made by AFRO, and I noticed that two of the bells are slightly flat (meaning they are lower in pitch than they should be) relative to the note of the first one. Anyone know if this can be fixed?

Generally, to alter the pitch of cowbells has been done in the past by the use of gaffa tape.

As for your cowbells? It sounds to me that two of them have died. I know of no way to bring life back to a dead cowbell. You may be able to use the above method to detune the undead cowbells in your set a bit.

Very sorry I cannot offer any help.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:43 pm

Awwww....cowbells have a lifespan like that? Crap. Well, learn something new every day. Thanks for the info all the same.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:53 am

Johnny Cat wrote:Awwww....cowbells have a lifespan like that? Crap. Well, learn something new every day. Thanks for the info all the same.

Not all cowbells die. I've used some over years. But many do. I've got an old one that just went (plonk) one day after sounding great the night before. It's weird.

Again, sorry I was unable to offer anything more.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:31 pm

yeah. some cowbells have a very long life. and some have a very short. a cowbell dies when there has been enough hits to the impact surface to deform and/or loosen the molecules in that area. y ou could flip the bell. or get a new one. about all you can do. buy a new one. they are cheap usualy.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:59 pm

You could probably heat it up a bit and hammer it back into shape and tune it up like they do with steel drums down in the islands.

But since nobody on here knows how to do that (just a guess), then I'd suggest buying new ones...or beat on the non dead one for a while until it's eaqually dead as the other two.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:19 pm

I have one cowbell, my dad used this same cowbell back in the early 80's, and it still sounds just as fantastic now as it did then.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads