Buddy R. or Gene K.?

Drummers' Hall of Fame.
You know a great drummer? Tell us about it!
Questions, discussions and overviews.

Moderator: Moderators

ghost_note
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:09 pm

Which is better in your oppnions?
Binky...
"X" marks the spot
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:26 pm

both :D
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:08 pm

No doubt;

Buddy Rich, of course!!! :twisted:

I honestly beleve that allthough mr Krupa was a much nicer person than Buddy Rich ( :lol: ), in terms of drumming, he is one of the most overrated drummers ever.

Louis Bellson outplays him by far also, in this genre.
ImageImageImage
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:01 am

Well I think it is very well known that Buddy is the greatest drummer of all time. So it's pretty hard to match Krupa with him on any sort of technical level.

However. Benny Goodman, who was possibly the most demanding band leader in history, prefered Gene over any other drummer. That says a great deal about the swinging and driving sense as well as the sensitivity displayed during the quartet performances.

Gene Krupa put the drumset on the map. There is no way one can downplay his importance in the history of the instrument. He is quite possibly the most important drummer in history for that very reason.

All this has to be seen in its historical perspective. Before Gene Krupa, drummers received no attention and got even less respect. A drummer was seen as the guy that the band "had to have'.

Think about that and the negative connotations that must have gone with it. The early drummers had to play within that idea. That they were there only because it was necessary. Not because they were wanted. When Gene suddenly put the spotlight on drums, the living and working conditions for drummers improved.

Plus he was a great character. I don't know if you guys are aware, but the Goodman band travelled in several cars at one point. One car was called "The Death Car". This is because the guys in it were, well, pretty much out of it. At one point they had an accident that removed the entire rear fender and drove 50 more miles before they even realised. Gene was always in "The Death Car." :)

Gene is very much like Ringo. He did not have the greatest chops, but whatever he said on the drums meant something. And he inspired whole generations of drummers to take up the instrument.

In my opinion, one should not underestimate his importance. And he deserves all the kudos he gets.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:07 am

dale, WRITE IN A COLOR THAT IS VISIBLE!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:15 am

I'll go with Dale on this one
Krupa may not have matched his chops but he definately outdid Buddy in INTENSITY
The ironic thing is that Krupa didn't hit the doobies as much as Buddy did but he got busted
Think of what a prick Buddy would have been if he wasn'tr constantly stoned
You say irritant, I say catalyst
SGarrett

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:23 pm

And, to add something else, Gene was one of Buddy's heroes and influences.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:48 pm

Gene had the chorizema and drum style to break the conservative ice and liberalize drumming...He put on a little more of an act ( fun & showmanship ) that opened doors for drummers to come...SGarret is right, Buddy was a fan of Krupa, but did become kinda conpetetitive towards him later on...!! Who was better ? Drumming wise I would say Buddy, but who knows what Buddy would have been without Krupa...!!
Not into all that competetive who's better crap..Just love to have fun when I drum..!! <|:O)

www.myspace.com/70275304
meddlejordison
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:00 pm

Ummmm...THEY ARE BOTH GREAT!!!!!! Drumming isn't a popularity contest... I just don't see why people try to pick one over the other.
"It isn't what I do on stage that matters it is what I didn't"
-John Bonham
amberluvskeithmoon
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:31 pm

Both are totally awesome though if i had to choo-choo choose, it'd be Buddy Rich, baby! And another great that you didn't mention is Carlo Little...even though he wasn't considered a jazz drummer. ;)
I told people I was a drummer before I even had a set, I was a mental drummer. -Keith Moon (The Who)
Rick Buchanan
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:49 pm

It Is Not A Matter Of Better.. EVER....... jazz era.. 2 different styles... But Buddy will ALWAYS be the KING
Rockin' Rick
king_friday
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:25 pm

dave lynch wrote:Gene had the chorizema and drum style to break the conservative ice and liberalize drumming...He put on a little more of an act ( fun & showmanship ) that opened doors for drummers to come...SGarret is right, Buddy was a fan of Krupa, but did become kinda conpetetitive towards him later on...!! Who was better ? Drumming wise I would say Buddy, but who knows what Buddy would have been without Krupa...!!

im pretty sure they were friends for a long time
dave lynch
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:20 pm

king_friday wrote:
dave lynch wrote:Gene had the chorizema and drum style to break the conservative ice and liberalize drumming...He put on a little more of an act ( fun & showmanship ) that opened doors for drummers to come...SGarret is right, Buddy was a fan of Krupa, but did become kinda conpetetitive towards him later on...!! Who was better ? Drumming wise I would say Buddy, but who knows what Buddy would have been without Krupa...!!

Oh yeah they were friends...I mean to say that Buddy had no problem saying who he thought was a better drummer and if I'm right Gene agreed..!!
Not into all that competetive who's better crap..Just love to have fun when I drum..!! <|:O)

www.myspace.com/70275304
Atmerrill
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:58 pm

Buddy, hands down. Gene was the showman and; yes, he did move the drums into the spotlight and Buddy admired him greatly. That being said, Buddy was a well oiled machine - the "drum battles" between the two were for show and when it came to it, Gene going up against Buddy was like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

But - for all that, I suppose the fact that we're here pondering this issue still 35 years after Gene died and 22 after Buddy died has got to be a legacy to the two of them.
Alden Merrill

Slingerland and Ford Drums, Zildjian Cymbals,
Aquarian Heads, Vater and Vic Firth Sticks
king_friday
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:40 pm

dave lynch wrote:
king_friday wrote:

Oh yeah they were friends...I mean to say that Buddy had no problem saying who he thought was a better drummer and if I'm right Gene agreed..!!

oohhh, got ya. yeah its weird, buddy was known for being a real prick, yet gene was i guess a really nice, caring guy. i read a story once about a kid, a young drummer, going to see krupa play. he went backstage and asked some guy to talk to him, guy says no that he is sick. this was when he krupa was older also, and he had lots of health problems. krupa hears the conversation between the two, comes out and has the kid come into his dressing room or whatever, talks drums with the kid for a while and i think even gives him a short lesson of sorts. now thats a good guy!