Iron Cobra or DW?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

DoubleBassUrFace
new
new

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:39 pm

usually im with dw.

but, i cant feel the damn pedals under my feet.

like a cloud, its good thing, but, i like to feel it.

thats why im gonna buy some cobras.

i've played dw 9000, 5000, 7000, and iron cobras, and iron cobra jrs.
¿got drums?
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:44 pm

iron cobra because i know ppl that have a dw and a iron cobra and the iron cobra lasted longer the spring didn't wear out as fast the dw's wore out fast
pearl
zildjian
aquarian
remo
sabian B8
vic firth
wuhan
tamarocker
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:57 pm

i play iron cobra but when i went to guitar center and hopped on a dw maple kit with a dw 9000 pedal i was blown away! i thought it was the best pedal i had ever played. so my opinion is the dw
god i love my maple tama star classic
Papa John
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:38 pm

nahhh nahhhhhh....
i might be tempted to go for the DW, but im goin wid what i got
its not very popular
but i got the yamaha direct drive flying dragon and lemme tell you
its badass!!!
just switch the beater and you're good to go for like forever!
i think its wayyy smoother than the IC and DW? iono
Papa John's!
Better Ingredient. Better Pizza.

Looking forward:
Tama Starclassic Acrylic/Maple
Zildjian K Customs
N&C Alloy
(owns) Yamaha Direct Drive Flying Dragon
Vic Firth Steve Gadd Sign's
Pro Mark Thomas Lang Sign's
pooJken
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:14 pm

iron cobra

definatly

they got the right feel and stuff

( i own two iron cobra powerglide pedals)
Kustom56Merc
new
new

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Since nobody has mentioned it, I think both dw and tama are great but as soon as I started playing Sonor it was as if they had made them just for me. Try expanding your horizons with other brands, not just the usuall tama and DW.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:07 am

Streetlight RC wrote:The original Iron Cobras and DW 5000 were both based on Camcos pedal which were considered the best pedals at the time. When Camco went under, Tama and DW went in as a joint venture to buy their patents and machinary. Tama walked away with the patents and DW got the machinary.

I actually prefer the modern Iron Cobra over all pedals cause of the adjustability and smoothness. The single chain DWs feel nice but the adjustablity doesnt compare. Had a DW 9002 for a while but still liked the Iron Cobra better. The 9002 is actually a farce in term sof the floating rotor design. The master side has the floating rotor, but the left side still utilizes other pedal technology (IE 5000 and Iron Cobra). So the 9002 is actually like a 9000 master with a 5000 slave side.

Seeings as the cost for a Iron Cobra is much less than a 9000 and they are work horse pedals that are super reliable (and the pedal boards don't break), they are my pedal of choice and for many others for these reasons.

Eh? DW footboards don't break! It has been years since I've experienced that sort of thing, and if I remember correctly it was an old pearl pedal which had been abused for at least a decade in a rehearsal room. I've used DW 5 and 9000's, Pearl power shifters and eliminators and IC's. They ALL had chains that went, and the pearl power shifters springs went in the middle. There is nothing wrong with the integrety of a DW footplate.
We must take our cap off to DW for revolutioising the the pedal market at the beginning of the 80's. Till then it was all Speedkings, Camcos and dodgy premier pedals, no multi-functional set-up systems, just tighten the spring, whack it on and play! Now all other companys have had to design pedals that are pretty much nothing different to DW's designs to keep up AND add names like IRON COBRA , ELIMINATOR and FIRE BREATHING FLYING DRAGON OF DOOOOOOM!!!!!!!, and under cut DW to keep up. Nothing wrong with that, it's just business, look at Cars for instance, but don't just slander DW. Many many careers have been and still are being built on DW pedals.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:38 pm

screamkevin wrote:I play the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide double. I used to play a DW5000, but I snapped 3 footboards and got tired of dealing with it. The IC is built like a tank, and I've had absolutely no problems with it.

But I will add that the DW is lighter and a bit quicker. It is a great pedal, as are the Pearl PowerShifters, Yamaha's Flying Dragons, and the new Trick pedals. Check them out, you'll never talk about Axis again.

I'v played all of those, and iv gotta say, besides the trick, axis blows them away. they'r all chain drivin so not all the energy you put into the pedal you get back out. they just dont have the smooth effortless feel that the axis is known for. tho the trick pedals use compression springs, and are a marvel of modern engineering
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion