Iron Cobra or DW?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

tim_otnematset
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:39 pm

ive used both of them and i own a dw 5000 and wont change for anithing. NOW if u give a axis i would be happy
metal 4 christ
woody476
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:55 pm

I personally miss match them, lol

DW 7000 single pedal and a Iron Cobra beater.

I have played both and I prefer DW over IC. It is a lot smoother for me, the IC are a lot more awkward for me to play.

Both are really good though, I want to get a 9000
God Bless
Streetlight RC
new
new

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:29 pm

The original Iron Cobras and DW 5000 were both based on Camcos pedal which were considered the best pedals at the time. When Camco went under, Tama and DW went in as a joint venture to buy their patents and machinary. Tama walked away with the patents and DW got the machinary.

I actually prefer the modern Iron Cobra over all pedals cause of the adjustability and smoothness. The single chain DWs feel nice but the adjustablity doesnt compare. Had a DW 9002 for a while but still liked the Iron Cobra better. The 9002 is actually a farce in term sof the floating rotor design. The master side has the floating rotor, but the left side still utilizes other pedal technology (IE 5000 and Iron Cobra). So the 9002 is actually like a 9000 master with a 5000 slave side.

Seeings as the cost for a Iron Cobra is much less than a 9000 and they are work horse pedals that are super reliable (and the pedal boards don't break), they are my pedal of choice and for many others for these reasons.
drumshell
new
new

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Though I haven't used a DW pedal, I still wanted to reply.

I love the Iron Cobra pedal. Not only does it have a great feel, but you can also get a variety of different beaters (wooden, rubber or felt).
I even have the Iron Cobra Hi Hat pedal, which I love just as much as the pedal.
humannail
new
new

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:52 pm

I have to say the Iron Cobra, very durable and has some meat to the springs. Played a lot of pedals, Axis,Pearl, well...a bunch. I have to say this one does it for me. I've had this one for about 6 years now and I am just getting it broken it.
BRUCE
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:46 pm

The only issue I have with the DW's is the footboard seems shorter than other pedals and doesn't work so well given that I wear a size 13.5-14 shoe....Tama definately for more aggressive stuff.
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Yes, I have talked with dealers and many other people, and everyone says how the DW 9000 is the superior here. DW 7000 is equal to the Iron Cobra Jr, and the DW 5000 appears to be equal to the Iron Cobra. So there you have it.... If i had the money, I would go for the DW 9000, but currently I use a single kick Iron Cobra Jr and have no problem with it!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:02 pm

i havent had the pleasure of being able to adjust a 9000 to my liking but i find them to be the smoothest under my feet and the lightest next to the axis. i, however, am a fan of iron cobras for one main reason: double hits. i use doubles constantly in my playing and ive never played on a dw pedal thats done it for me. ive had my ics for almost a year and im still trying to get them adjusted perfectly but they are amazing pedals for me. ive never like the feel of dw 5000s and no matter what anyone says or who uses them i still have never felt one that seems as light as and ic or as smooth. the 9000s are much faster than my cobras, in fact i get early hits on the bass because of their speed but when i try to do a 16th to 32nd note quick double hit with heel/toe the pedal doesnt respond right. its ics for me.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
AMTJake
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:16 pm

iron cobras seemed lighter to me and I could definately play faster on them. DW's are a pain in the ass to adjust but I find you can play more musically with DW. But if you're going to get double bass goin on then forget DW, I'd only use DW for single.
bigbobblack
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:57 am

Iron Cobra for me - it seems more robust and well thought out - and of course DW is good but overpriced (in my opinion)
anaphysdrummer
new
new

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:07 am

pearl eliminators!! ive been fortunate enough to have owned both the double chain iron cobra and the DW 9000 pedals. then i one day walked into my local dealer and saw the pearl pedals, they were amazing, the feel, the comfortability, the fact that everything can be adjusted to my liking. i think pearl made the best double bass pedal ever when they did the eliminators. aswell has the two legged hi hat stand. i own a atama kit, starclassic maple. tama are truely AMAZING with drums. but the pedals arent as great as i would have hoped.

xander.
cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion.
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:13 am

the DW 5000 and the Iron Cobra are the same pedal pretty much. the DW 9000 is better. i love it. great pedal. ive been wanting to try out one of those new TRICK pedals. they seem pretty nice. very tempting. i wana try one out. they seem nice.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
Uwarricore
new
new

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:53 am

well i cant really not like DW because i've never experienced with them, but i do know that i think i made the right choice by purchasing the IC's just from other reply's..
Mr.Jack
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:02 pm

my Heart is beating for the Iron Cobra!
If you want to play straight and loud Metal I think DW is better but I use the IC and it fits in everything I want to play! (also Jazz and Latin)
awsome Pedal!
Tama Starclassic Bubinga!
It's better than a Girlfriend ;)

I'm so sorry if my English isn't as well as it should be...
Aynsley
new
new

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:24 pm

I'd have to say DW9000 for me-I tried the Iron Cobra in the shop as a comparison.....DW won! I've also recently got the TRICK PRO 1-V double pedal as well.....amazing! Two great pedals in my humble opinion........can't decide which one to use now!
'Listen to the power when Ken comes in.........!'