Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

Wyl E Peyote
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:15 am

Iron Cobra, NO QUESTION!!!!!

There really is no contest!!!!
Turn the drums down?? F**K THAT! TURN THE BLOODY AMPS UP!!!
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:16 am

Neither
I use and love the Yamaha Flying Dragon direct drive pedals. I have single and double versions and they stay with your foot like it's an extension of your leg. Silly names though huh?
I tried everything first and yes the DW's are overpriced because of the name. They are very high quality though. I think as long as the pedal has the ability to separate footboard angle from beater angle and tension and is heavy duty and smooth then you can go.
Later
Way
www.scotaylor.com
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
drumsetsteve
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:19 am

Over the last few years I have switched from Tama hardware and
Pedals over to DW pedals and stands.
drummer-croatia
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:24 am

:idea:

my friend has the iron cobra although i'm not sure which one but i can sure tell you it sucks...it's to heavy to press and it bounces a lot,and you get very tired in a very short period of time...he gave a lot of money for it and to be honest he should have bought the dw pedal...cant tell you exactly why but i prefer the dw one
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:33 am

drummer-croatia wrote::idea:

my friend has the iron cobra although i'm not sure which one but i can sure tell you it sucks...it's to heavy to press and it bounces a lot,and you get very tired in a very short period of time...he gave a lot of money for it and to be honest he should have bought the dw pedal...cant tell you exactly why but i prefer the dw one

These pedals are very adjustable. If it's too tight loosen the springs!!! You should be able to make the Iron Cobra feel just how you want it.......loose and sloppy or so tight and way back....or beater right on the head and medium tension. That is the way cool thing about all the high end pedals is that they are so adjustable. Tweak it! Too much beater response then loosen your head a bit, use a different beater. I don't play the Cobras but I have played them and they are infinitely adjustable.
Play ON!
Drumn4life
www.scotaylor.com
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:35 am

From what I've heard of Axis pedals they don't have enough "feeling" for some drummers, almost like they're too mechanical and fast. I've never played one and I don't really understand it but there you go.
Wyl E Peyote
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:50 am

my friend has the iron cobra although i'm not sure which one but i can sure tell you it sucks...it's to heavy to press and it bounces a lot,and you get very tired in a very short period of time

Surely getting tired after a short period of time is more to do with your technique/stamina than the pedal. It all comes down to personal preference, some peeps like higher spring tension than others.

Personally I think the Cobras are the best pedals I've ever had apart from my old Camco Extra Lites. Damn shame that Tama only make them in singles any more.

High tension on the springs and short beater action should stop any unwanted swing of the footplate and allow for an even stroke, especially if you are doing any speedy double kicking. Also another issue is lateral(sideways) movement of the footplate, this is easily resolved by using a double chain glide mechanism. I dunno about the DW, but if you have the single chain Cobras, this can be easily rectified by changing the chain. It's as easy as turning a key on the bolt. Trust me, I did it with mine. When I got my pedals they were single chain, purely due to cost, after a while I changed the chain to stop the lateral movement, worked a treat and was relatively inexpensive.
Turn the drums down?? F**K THAT! TURN THE BLOODY AMPS UP!!!
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:08 pm

I have played the Iron Cobra, my dad uses it on his set, but i prefer my 9000's, i like the feel so much more, and they're wicked smooth.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
mattkinel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:18 pm

I would have to say there totally differnt. After playing the ludwig speed kings for so long, the DW pedal is almost too perfect. Its almost too smooth and controlled, so you cant really use a whipping motion or a side to side motion to cheat and get more speed. I love the iron cobra with the strap drive, I guess I personally dont like the newer feel of the doubble chain.

If you want a smooth controlled pedal, go for the DW, if you want somthing where you can cheat a bit with fancy footwork to get more speed do the iron cobra. I would take a vintage Camco pedal over both of them tho (the camco is the father of the iron cobra pedal)
-Matt Kinel

Vintage Ludwig Stainless Steel Bonham Set
Paiste Giant Beats and 2002 Cymbals
Vintage Ludwig Hercules and Atlas Hardware
Speed King Pedal, Supraphonic Snare
Remo Heads, Coated
found_drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:55 pm

I've played the 5000 double and the IC double, and I prefer the IC over DW (even the 9000's; i think they are over-hyped). I think that The Iron Cobra's feel stronger, and have a more sensitive feel (making it easier to do double-strokes with a single pedal).

I am a Pearl Man, and use Eliminator belt-drive double pedals (I prefer them the most; they're awesome!), but in the DW vs. Tama battle, my support goes to Tama. I honestly think that overall, DW has more hype from its name than quality over any other brand (which are much cheaper than DW, but have similar quality). I think you can get a Pearl or Tama set, pay less, and still have a great sound and then spend the leftover cash on hardware, heads, and sticks
Pearl drums, hardware, and pedals
Gibraltar Hardware
Zildjian Cymbals
Remo Heads
Vater Stick
Billdozer
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:03 pm

Iron Cobra all the way!

I own two Iron Cobra double pedals. They are the most durable and high quality pedals I have ever used.

I bought a DW 5000 pedal and took it back to my drum shop after 2 weeks of use because I just couldn't get it to feel right. After adjusting it 80-90 times I just didn't like it. I got an Iron Cobra and I was set. no other pedals feel right to me. Iron Cobras are fast, not overly bulky like the DWs and they feel more durable. Not saying the DWs aren't...but they always feel like I'm going to make them fly apart.

Iron Cobras. Awesome pedals.
TAMA STARCLASSIC MAPLE
British Racing Green
10",12",16" Toms
22" Kick
MAPEX Black Panther Maple Snare Drum
14" Black Quilted Maple
TAMA Road Pro Hardware
TAMA Iron Cobra Double Kick
16,18"Ks, 18"Z, New Beats and Paiste 2002s
hits hard
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:08 pm

Iron Cobra, all day
lowdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:25 pm

Ive used the 9000s for like 3 years and I like them but the left pedal is slow even after all the tweaking and loosening and tightening, its been like this since i bought it mabey its a defect idk, but i havnt used an IC before
Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit #1
Tama Starclassic Birch kit #2
DW snare
DW 9000 double pedal
DW 9000 series hardware
Zildjian A and Z custom Cymbals
drummerboi
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:28 pm

Fortunatley i have access to both pedals. I use the dw 9000 while my brother uses the iron cobra....... I like the iron cobra's durability....and i like the infinite adjustability with the 9000's. I think it really depends on what style you play with the pedals. The Iron Cobra is probably geared more towards heavier players while the DW 9000's have a smoother feel. I like the DW's better for my style of playing....they're smoother and have a very consistent feel.

They are both good pedals but........ I prefer the DW's.
gumby
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:54 pm

the feel and the balance of the DWs i love...cant get use to the cobra...its almost like ther're to lite
KEEP IT SICK BUT REAL