Iron Cobra or DW?

Axis, DW, Pearl, Tama...

Moderator: Moderators

ghost_note
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:58 pm

to those of you that have played both pedals....is it true that Iron Cobra pedals are BETTER than DW....but the reason you pay more for the DW is just BECAUSE IT IS DW! so your more paying for a name and who uses it more than the actual quality?!? well tell me your oppnions....
Binky...
"X" marks the spot
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:24 pm

I used to use the DW, but switched. I prefer the feel, and construction of the Iron Cobra.
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:24 am

I wouldn't say one is better than another...I have double pedals from both companies...the double chain cobra & the DW5000. They are both awesome pedals, well worth the money for either. I honestly prefer the DW just a tad bit more. I find it's a smoother pedal, but that's just an opinion. Construction wise, they are about on par with each other...I've had to replace more parts on my Cobra, but I use the Cobra primarily for more aggressive playing. Both are built like tanks, and will be with you for a lifetime. If money is the difference I would recommend the Cobra being they are too similar to warrant the $50-60 dollar price difference. If money is not an issue, I would give the new trick pedals a serious look...they are the nicest pedals I have ever played hands down. In my opinion they are far superior to the Axis pedals (which are hot too...I have a single axis long board pedal also). The trick pedals are like super space age...they are probably a little ahead of their time for alot of drummers, but they are amazing...not sure if the $600 dollar price tag is warranted though.

Good luck either way.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
Ryan
new
new

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:53 pm

Tama's pedals have more ribbing on the foot board therefore will last longer.Better Construction.
Mainiacdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:12 pm

i personally think the dw 9000's are better.. i played the iron cobras at a guitar center and i liked them but i liked the dw's more
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:07 pm

They're almost identical considering that the Iron Cobras are made from the Camco plan and design schematics and that DW 5000s are machined on the actual molds used for the Camco pedals.

Camco, the company that manufactured the pedal that was considered one of the best pedals ever, was jointly bought by DW and Tama when they went defunct - the pedals are almost exactly the same except for the branding and etc.
TheyCallMeNAPA
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:53 am

ive played the iron cobra double and i own a DW9000 double and i prefer the DW over the tama. i think its smoother. but it may just be what i'm used to playin.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:30 pm

The 9000 series is better quality than the IC - the 5000 series and the Iron Cobra are the same pedal.
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:19 pm

Alcyon wrote:The 9000 series is better quality than the IC - the 5000 series and the Iron Cobra are the same pedal.

it damn well better be for the price
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
manicdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:11 am

I have bought, and used, both the Iron Cobra and the DW pedals. DW wins hands-down for me... I believe the Footplate of the iron Cobra actually slows it down, with all that extra mass. I love t titanium footplates of the new DW's. Wheeeee!

My old favourite, though, is a hybrid pedal which I made from the footplate of a Premier pedal, with the chain, cog and post from an old Camco chaindrive pedal. Strangly enough, though, the BEATER is a DW! Hmmmm... veeery interesssting!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first
create the universe."

-- Carl Sagan
veerubio
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:12 am

if UR gonna spend money on a dw, go for the 9000. I work @ guitar center and spend alot of time trying out all the gear. the IC is good if your on a budget, but the dw is way better.
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:20 am

veerubio wrote:if UR gonna spend money on a dw, go for the 9000. I work @ guitar center and spend alot of time trying out all the gear. the IC is good if your on a budget, but the dw is way better.
I have to say no to it all....Pearl 2002c Power Shifter Eliminator is BAD-ASS.
Brian
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
doyle
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:33 am

I have played both, but i use the iron cobra!!!! i love the feel adn 'fight' u get from the iron cobra... oooh the beauty!!!
warlocke
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:46 am

But IMHO there's an even better pedal out there... I played an AXIS double pedal at Guitar Center and absolutely fell in love. As much as I love my Tama (I compared both side by side and took plenty of time to adjust both the DW and and the Iron Cobra before laying down the dough, BTW. Iron Cobra won between those two hands down), if there had been an AXIS there the day I bought my pedal they'd have both been out of the running.

Just my $0.02 worth...
screamkevin

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:14 am

I play the Iron Cobra Rolling Glide double. I used to play a DW5000, but I snapped 3 footboards and got tired of dealing with it. The IC is built like a tank, and I've had absolutely no problems with it.

But I will add that the DW is lighter and a bit quicker. It is a great pedal, as are the Pearl PowerShifters, Yamaha's Flying Dragons, and the new Trick pedals. Check them out, you'll never talk about Axis again.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.