Which drummer has the best sounding drums?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:20 am

I love the sound of Dominic Howards new live kit, the Tama Mirage crystal ice kit :D the toms have got one hell of a boom to them for such small fusion sized toms

also, have u heard Josh Eppard's kit? (ex-coheed and cambria) its an C&C custom kit and the kick drums' got one helllll of a explosion behind it , some of the most powerful sounding drums i've heard. listen to the coheed and cambria album "Apollo, i'm burning star IV" you'll get my drift.
Last edited by Scott_Hurford on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
RogersDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:39 pm

Thats an easy one, Billy Cobham and Stewart Copland!
The only thing that can prevent you from acheving even the furthest goal, is doubt. Stay dedicated.
drumjo7182
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:38 pm

Travis Barker, his drums sound amazing
metal drummer 27
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:57 am

i am a HUGE Mike Portnoy fan so i definately have to go with him. i love the sound of his "siamese monster" kit that he used in train of thought. the snare sounds awesome and everything is at the right volume. i also like the "purple monster" kit koz that had everything on it and sounded awsome. the kit he used in images and words was a let down i beleive because the snare was triggered and although it may have suited the songs, the snare was WAY too loud and i reckon it dominated the recording of the drums
Iconoclast
new
new

Post Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:30 pm

Bill Bruford on the first UK album (loads of roto-tom work) and on King Crimson's "Red" album (including the infamous "trash" cymbal)

and speaking of King Crimson - Mike Giles on the first Crimson album - dynamic! dynamics! dynamics! (the lost art in drumming)
gadrmrboy
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:07 am

chris mchugh from keith urbans band
i think carrie underwoods drummer has a great sound
sevendust had a very full fat sound live and the drums we very well tuned and mic'd

it so hard to tell on studio albums cause there are so many tools to play with
i think you can get the best feel live.
Guy&i
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:59 am

the best and most unique drum sound i ever heard is by an israeli band called "Infektzia" (Infection) on their 1st album "Kaha Mefankim" ("This is how to pet" or maybe "thats how to spoil")

their drummer Ran Jurgenson (he doesnt play with them anymore but he has some albums of his own where he plays and sings in english) has an awsome sound there. a must hear! i mean it.
try downloading some of the songs from that album to find out urself.
other than that... well Tool's 10,000 days has a friggin A drum sound and a wicked style too.
Jah Bless
ChevaDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:32 am

There is a band out that not a lot of people know about called CANDIRIA. The drum tones on their last CD was incredible. Check it out.
mattdoesrock
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:27 am

THOMAS NOONAN!!!!!!!

On 36 Crazyfists 2nd album "A snow capped mountain" his drums sound...just wow...

Awesome tight snare, low toms, amazing kick, just perfect. He uses OCD I think, yea pretty sure.
To those who understand, I extend my hand, To the Devil I command, Take me as I am.
lousypadrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:38 pm

I like Portnoy's sound. Very clean
Bluestonered
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:04 am

I think AYOTTE drums sound the best in a large arena. The old drummer from Nickelbak had a geat sound with them. Jeremy Taggart from Our Lady Peace also plays these drums and his kit sounds awesome. Going back to when I first listened to Blood Sugar Sex Magik by RHCP... I loved Chad's kit especially his snare throughout the album!! Best kick drum Ive heard can be found on The Spin Doctors first album, track 5, 'Refridgerator car'. BOOOOMMM!
MasterShake89
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:08 am

believe it or not, i really like alien ant farms drummer a lot. he may seem a little simple on the surface (well not really when compared to some other drummers out there) and throws in a lot of cool sounding things. Senses fail "let it enfold you" album wasnt really technically hard drumming, but the drummer used the right things at the right time if you get my idea.... oh well if i think of more ill come back.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:43 pm

I really like the diversity in the sounds of Morgan Rose's set.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
iminaband
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:11 pm

AMTJake wrote:Just so you know, any album that has been recorded in the last 10 years is probably triggered. So what you hear is a mix between the actual drum and the trigger. Very few albums have natural drums anymore.

Nonsense, I just did a record... no triggers, plus I talked to the sound engineers who tell me all about the BIG drummers they have recorded and all of them are micd.. Some drummers use the triggers for their kick, but overall MOST drums are not triggered...

NOW... I would say that I love John Otto's drums in Limp Bizkit. Tight snare with big open drums..
It's not how good you are, just how good your equipment is :) Um... NOT
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:38 pm

i think bill bruford's Erthworks kit (starclassic maple) has the best sound.
Beat on.