Which drummer has the best sounding drums?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:32 pm

phoenix7289 wrote:This is fucking SAD!!! FOUR PAGES!!! No one even mentioned Nicko McBrain of IRON MAIDEN!!! Listen to A Matter of Life and Death!!! 2006 album! The drumming is fuckin' fantastic!!! He is my idol! Best drummer out there in my eyes! Does what the double bass players do, with a single!!! And none of you give him ANY respect?! WTF?! Three fucking words:

WHERE
EAGLES
DARE

done.

Could you please express yourself in a more gentle way?
dim my eyes if they should compromise
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:52 pm

loop wrote:
phoenix7289 wrote:This is fucking SAD!!! FOUR PAGES!!! No one even mentioned Nicko McBrain of IRON MAIDEN!!! Listen to A Matter of Life and Death!!! 2006 album! The drumming is fuckin' fantastic!!! He is my idol! Best drummer out there in my eyes! Does what the double bass players do, with a single!!! And none of you give him ANY respect?! WTF?! Three fucking words:

WHERE
EAGLES
DARE

done.

Could you please express yourself in a more gentle way?

I'm sorry. >.<
I just get frustrated with how he doesn't get the respect he deserves, know what I mean? But I will watch it from now on, sorry.
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:00 pm

with all due respects to you, this post is about the best sounding drums not the best drummers :wink:
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Bummer2112
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:42 am

In my opinion Neil Peart's Tama superstar set he had in the late 70's and early 80's before he went electronic. They had that perfect wood sound to them, if that makes any sense. The concert toms were the best sounding I've ever heard, and along with floor toms, the double basses (which he should bring back :p), and the rack toms especially. Can never go wrong with all the other percussion instruments in there as well.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:41 am

Scott_Hurford wrote:with all due respects to you, this post is about the best sounding drums not the best drummers :wink:

:lol:
oops
Well, I will still go along with Nicko, I love the sound his drums have.... beautiful.
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
McSleeps
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:25 pm

devilspain wrote:personally at the moment the best studio drum kit ive currently heard is martin lopez ex drummer for Opeth. his kit sound on most of opeths albums sound brilliant the toms are bright but still contain all the warmth and low end. if you want to check out his sound i would buy the album deliverance.

any one else agree? or even a fan?

I am a big Opeth fan, and Martin Lopez is one of my biggest influences, i love the sound of his chinas on all the albums and his toms and fills sound great.

Nicko McBrain is my second biggest influence, I have always loved the sound of his toms, especially on the album "Powerslave". Also his snare has sounded great on the last few Maiden albums.
charlyroxs411
new
new

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:13 pm

wow nobody said, tony royster..i think he has the best sound
then theres
chris adler
or lars ulrich (old stuff)
Metropolis1021
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:53 am

i actually don't like tony roysters drum sound, but for me he makes it up with his playing. :D
Tama Starclassic Performer
Sabian Cymbals
Axis AL-2CB
Remo Drumheads
Pro-Mark Sticks
Gibraltar Drum Rack
AzFaz300
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:27 pm

tony royster jr has an absolutely amazing style & makes whatever he plays sound incredible :D
the snare matt kelly (dropkick murphys) uses on the warriors code album is sick.
i duno what it is tho - heard rumours of it being omar hakims pearl one
Yamaha
Pearl
Zildjian
Evans
Vater
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:31 pm

stewert copeland(police)
Nigel Glockner(early SAXON )
Simon Philips
all ZAPPA's shit whomever is drumming at that time
BunE.Carlos(cheap trick; I really like his fills and solid beats he's recorded w/ john lennon and others)
Bill Bruford(yes,king crimson,anderson,bruford,wakeman and howe)
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:34 pm

Bummer2112 wrote:In my opinion Neil Peart's Tama superstar set he had in the late 70's and early 80's before he went electronic. They had that perfect wood sound to them, if that makes any sense. The concert toms were the best sounding I've ever heard, and along with floor toms, the double basses (which he should bring back :p), and the rack toms especially. Can never go wrong with all the other percussion instruments in there as well.

I agree he sampled all the percussion so his set up wasnt so HUGE but hell that big kit was half the fun of seeing Rush back then.
chachaman02
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Omg! Jimmy Sullivan "The Rev" has one of the best sounding drums sets IN MY OPINION. Incubus' drummer has a pretty cool sounding set.
PerKuhShunIst
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:40 pm

Joey Heredia on the Frank Gambale LIVE cd Kit sounded excellent.

Vinnie Appice's Slingerlands on Sabbaths - Live Evil

Neil's kit on the Grace Under Pressure album and also his Slingerland snare he used and still uses.
"It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help."
GrimReepher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:47 pm

Hella - every album

John Bonham - every album

40 0z to freedom and Sublime self titled
Bigredfndz
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:03 am

Vinnie Paul his stuff live just blows my mind.
Chris Adler.
Peter Enskie(sp?)
Tony Royster Jr.
Jason Bittner.