Which drummer has the best sounding drums?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

funkdrmr
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:00 am

vintage wrote:What happened to the world? Are you all daring to say that these people sound better then Bonham. The Only recordings I have heard that might be better then Led Zeppelins, are Joe Morrello on Take 5. Or Buddy Rich's Blues Caravan Album. But really, is there a recording better than When the Levee Breaks?

When the Levee Breaks isa great drum sound. Honestly, I still think Gadd has Bonham beat in the sound department overall.

Bonham's sound was definitely top notch for the era. Now, I look at it as a great sound, but a bit dated.

Sorry, but when Steve Gadd can walk into a gig 3 hours late obviously recovering from the night before, set his kit up, and give the engineer the best drum sound he's ever had, it has to count for something. (true story, told to me by the engineer).

really don't like when "best drum sound" is used with modern bands because a lot of the "Clearchannel" and "modern" stuff that sounds great is samples blended in.

Maybe I'm wrong, but when I think of "best drum sound", I think of the best combination of tuning and playing (yes, the player matters a LOT!) that will give the most consistent "great" sound day in and day out.

Of course, the beauty of this thread is that we're all stating opinions. The really great part about this thread is that by stating these opinions with reasons, there is a chance that we're all opening doors for each other to look at things in a different light........which should be what it's all about in the first place.
Bicycle Repair Man
new
new

Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:54 pm

John Otto - Limp Bizkit has a great sound.

Some of the later Dream theater albums are great but I'm very impressed by Rammstein, especially on Mutter. But most of the big metal bands have good sounds on them
Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:31 am

Impossible to say, but I remember hearing Ian Mosley (of Marillion) on the albums "Misplaced Childhood" and "Clutching at Straws" for the first time.
I thought that was a great drum and cymbal sound, and still do.
ImageImageImage
rudy mince
new
new

Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:17 am

Bonham doesn't sound dated to me. In fact, I really dig Charlie Watts' sound on Exile on Main St. Meg White has a cool sound too.
Howepirate

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:47 pm

i vote Leche from as blood runs black???any1 else think his drums sound amazing specially considering he doesnt trigger them!?
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:55 pm

love the sound of chad smiths snare,especially during the stadium arcadium and californication albums..jst love that snare sound.

nicko mcbrains toms sound awsome but i think the smaller toms(yes,i no there small and ment to sound like it)but sound to hi pitched at times.
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:38 am

i loved David Silverias drum sound in the KoRn to issues era when he played a 14x4 metal snare and deeper toms, untouchables onwards he changed to a 14x6 wood snare and shallower toms and it sounds a bit flat
Heresy! \M/
JimmiRock
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:23 am

Qbs wrote:I hate to be saying the same albums on and on but...
10,000 Days, Lateralus, Aenima... ;)

sooooooooo true!!! i particualally love danny's cymbals... they make me want to go out and buy a new set!!
May i be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows i'm dead.
pphunk
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:14 am

Josh Freese's (A Perfect Circle) on Mer de Noms.

Abe Cunningham's (Deftones) on Adrenaline and White Pony

Danny Carey's (Tool) on Salival and Lateralus
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:25 am

It's hard to say these days due to the huge amount of effects on modern recordings. So I can only speak of drummers who recorded in simpler times when the sound depended on the drummers and how they played their drums.

So, the older jazz albums. Krupa always had a great sound. The Motown drummers. Guys like Al Jackson and Purdie always had a great sound. But it was mainly how they played them. For example the way they played the bass drum, letting them breathe and giving them a full tone. John Bonham had a great sound. Bruford's snare drum on Roundabout etc etc.

Some more manufactured snare sounds that affected today's sound would be Aronoff's and Allan White's back in the mid 80's. Jack DeJohnette always has a very nice sound.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:35 am

vintage wrote:What happened to the world? Are you all daring to say that these people sound better then Bonham. The Only recordings I have heard that might be better then Led Zeppelins, are Joe Morrello on Take 5. Or Buddy Rich's Blues Caravan Album. But really, is there a recording better than When the Levee Breaks?

Although Bonham had a great sound, I really cannot stand the sound of Led zepp' recordings. So yes, to my ears there are plenty of better sounding kits. Check out Jo Jones' sound from his days with Count Basie. Art Blakey on, well, anything. Kenny Clarke always had a great sound. As did Elvin and Roy Haynes.

Don't be too hard on the kids. It's pretty obvious that they don't have the greatest record collections in the world, being that I see about 15 names at most repeated constantly. Seriously, if I see Danny Carey mentioned 100 more times as being the incredible drummer, as I am sure I will, I'll probably go mental. But then hey, I am a drummer so I'm there already. ;)
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Damian Saint
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:55 pm

Tim Barrett from DISCIPLE.

LOVE the entire sound!

Take a listen www.myspace.com/disciplerocks

Especially on the song Rise up.

To me the best sounds of all time are a combo

John Bonham's Bass drum
Alex Van Halen's Snare
Phil Collin's Rack Toms
Journey's Floor Toms
RADAR1112
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:45 am

My drum hero, John Strainer . I love the sounds of his drums on Helmet's "Betty" I still try to duplicate his snare sound. My favorite drummer! :D
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:13 am

I had the honour of hearing Neil Peart's 30th Anniversary DW kit from about 10 feet away, unmiked, and I was blown away. The VST technology is amazing.

It's hard to say. I can't say who's drums sound best. Steve Smith and Dave Weckl have incredibly musical sounding kits, as does Terry Bozzio. I have too many favorites for the sound of their drums. Danny Carey has a fantastic sounding kit in part because he tries to keep his drums tuned as closely as possible to the key of Tool's songs.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:29 pm

dugdrummer wrote:wil calhoun-living coulour-times up
mike portnoy-falling into infinity..he actually used 2 kits in recording of this .. 8)
herb alexander-pork soda

I agree with you on the Living Colour Times up sound. That snare drum sounds like a gun shot.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)