Clear Heads on a Snare?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dob?
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:35 pm

with the shape my snare head is in now its pretty much clear (heads last me an unusually long time, ive only busted 2 and they weren't from playing them :?) ive never tried a REAL clear head on my snare or coated heads on toms, always stuck with the traditional coated snare and clear tom and bass heads... next time i buy heads i plan on trying out a few different things and seeing what sounds i can milk out of my old kit.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:10 pm

If you are not doing brushwork, then a clear head would be fine. You would probably get more crack to it as there is absolutley zero muffling on this head.
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed May 02, 2007 11:35 pm

drummert2k wrote:
Rockula! wrote:THE HULK!!!!!
[img][img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/Rockulaproductions/closecenter.jpg[/img][/img]

Thats friggin awesome!!!! i wanna make one of those!

I used one of the old clear heads with the silver dot that ludwig made (maybe still makes) on a piccolo and it was sooooo loud. being a piccolo i was going for more crack and less tone so it worked out great but it was just so loud. rimshots made my ears wanna bleed.

My back aches just looking at that!
wes_125
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu May 03, 2007 5:03 pm

For about a week, I played with a clear head on my snare, because my other had torn, and I had to wait a week for the other to come in.. (no local music store at the time) It wasn't TOO bad, it's not my preference, but it wasn't that bad.
Pearl Export
Zildjian Cymbals (K/Z-Customs)
Vic Firth/Vater sticks
Pearl hardware.
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:50 am

I've used a Remo CS clear dot, Black Pinstripe K-Falam, and currently have an Evans ST Dry. I have on order an EC2 coated with reverse dot, a hazy snare side 300, and a set of Puresound snares.
The EC2 has like a translucent coating. Maybe it will be the best of both worlds. I have heard great things about the puresound snares (mainly on this forum) so I figured I'd give 'em a whirl.
dkmfan
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon May 21, 2007 7:58 pm

i really like clear heads but, they really don't work on a snare drum.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue May 22, 2007 12:48 am

Multibomber wrote:I hate coated heads, they last about 3 days for me on average. .

no offense, but i feel like there has to be something wrong with the way you play drums if coated heads last you an average of 3 days
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion