Clear Heads on a Snare?

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

meffajeffa
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:45 am

Anyone using a clear head on their snare?

how's it sound? how's it compare to the usual coated single ply head?

just curious for some new options.

meffajeffa
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:54 pm

my snare came with a clear head and i hated the sound, it was to bland and...just crap :D the sound u can get from a coated head never fails :D especially with a snare drum
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:53 am

Clear heads on snares? Well it depends on what sound you are going for. I prefer coated heads because I enjoy using brushes. I also like the added control that a coated head has. But I've also played clear heads if I wasn't going to use brushes.

I think honestly that if any drummer is curious about sounds, the only way to find out is to buy different heads and try out the various combinations. That's the only way you'll ever really know.

This can cost money of course and if one is a struggling musician, chances are the funds don't exist to do this. However, if you have a good relationship with your local drum store, they may allow you to try some combinations. They may have some heads out the back off a display drum or something. I think this is a reason why being a loyal custommer to a good drum store is important.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:07 pm

KoRn recorded their first album with a Pinstripe on the snare. Is sounded like...... like it sounded. Not bad for a hard rocking band.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
wolfendenstate
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:26 pm

My dad uses a remo weatherking pinstripe on his snare, and to be honest it sounds fucking awesome, I'm thinking about trying it myself.
Warrdogg
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:30 pm

I used to use only Remo pinstipes, and in the past 6 years gone to the falams head. I would destroy coated heads so fast it was costing too much. The falams head has a pinstripe head over kevlar, I've only had to buy three in the past 6 years. It's not real good for brush playing, but is very versatile weather you crank the head down as far as you can or leave it loser for a deep tone.
bmann36
new
new

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:09 pm

Never had any good luck with a clear head , the sound to me was not good and the longevity was not good either.
Bmann36,
Pearl Drums,
DW pedals,
Aqurian Drumstick's
Sabian cymbal's
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:23 pm

I think I had a clear PowerStroke Remo head on my Tama Rockstar snare once...it had two stripes and a clear reinforcement dot in the middle...I don't know the exact model, but yeah, I hated it. Sounded horrible.

I also use a regular Remo Pinstripe clear on my 10" snare and I hate that too. It's not bad sounding on this drum, but I like the coated head I had before much much more.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Multibomber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:17 pm

I hate coated heads, they last about 3 days for me on average. I was trying to replicate a compressed snare sound, so I started using pinstripes on my snare... not bad at all! Next I went to a clear G2 on my snare, even better! Then I tried a (gasp) clear Hydraulic on my snare... even better! Now I have a black hydraulic on my snare and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Its a very unique sound and doesn't at all sound as weird as you'd imagine.
Your boobs aren't "huge"... they're "fun-sized!"
gadrmrboy
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:55 pm

i use a remo black dot clear head on my 13" piccalo.. i like the sound.
DaveDWdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:14 am

When you start using thicker ply clear drum heads on your snare(s), you take away a lot from the actual drums sound. I don't reccommend it
AlcalaProject
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:03 pm

Well that's a good question because seriously ever since I got my first kit years ago I was always told to get rid of the stock snare head and upgrade.....So I never really played a clear head......I have used various Remo coated heads....But for the last year or so I been switching out with different heads and I have narrowed it down to two heads I use....For playing rock and metal I use and always have a couple on hand the Aquarian "Studio-X w/Dot", its basically a clear head with a white dot in the center and a black and white pinstripe on the outer ring of the snare.........When I'm playing pop or jazzy stuff I use another Aquarian head called "New Orleans Special" which is a clear head with a huge white dot that covers most of the head and has about 1" clear strip on the outer edge of the snare head........

Just as note, I just switched from coated toms heads to the clear "Studio-X" heads which have a inch black pinstripe and about a 1/4" to 1/2" white stripe on the outer edge........My kick is a Aquarian "SuperKick II", which is another clear head with a balck and white in stripe with a muff ring between the plys..........

John
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:05 am

I have a 15" square sized marching snare which I affectionately call THE HULK
It is green and is so deep that it required that I put floor tom legs on it in order to get it low enough to play flat
I have never had a head that matched the versatility and intensity of a Remo Emperor
I can go from "normal" snare sounds (striking in the center) to the most bone jarring, teeth rattling BONK you have ever heard (a rim shot placed off the center of the head)
In fact, it rarely requires miking because it is so loud
Soundmen usually keep it just under "1" in order to get some snare through the PA
I used to use a wood snare with a coated black dot for warm stuff and a metal snare with a clear black dot for the bonk
Now, I only need one snare
As far as the durability factor goes, I have no complaints (everything dies)
Can anyone attest to the similarities between an Emperor and a G2?
You say irritant, I say catalyst
LayingGroovesJam
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:18 am

Ive got two snares, ludwig 5x14 and i just got the pork pie, pie light 7x13. I have pinstrip clears on both snares. Love em.

Peace,

Joel
LUDWIG
CS Custom eltite, Amber, 10,12,13,16,Toms
18x22 bass, speed King.
14 AA Med Hats, AA 10 splash, AAX 12 splash, Xs20 Med 20 ride, 16 Xs20 Crash, 16 B8 pro crash, AA 18 Fash china.
Remo
Sabain
Vater
Roc & Soc

IN works Octobans.
itsDave
new
new

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:40 am

As was stated before, alot of this depends on what kind of sound you like, and also what your tastes are. I play in several different bands, ranging from jazz to rock to club music. For my jazz gigs I LOVE my Chad Smith Signature snare with a Remo Fiberskin head for brush work. On the rock gigs I like my 6 1/2 Pearl Master Custom maple snare with a clear Pinstripe tuned medium for a nice warm crack but not too much brightness. I have about 5 different snares and select whichever is best for the playing situation at hand.