TAMA question.

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:12 pm

Dale wrote:All my Brady gear was stolen years ago. Along with a shitload of other gear.

That is TERRIBLE!!!!
I think that warrants death to the theif...

I didn't know Brady had fell off like that. My snare is a few years old and when I ordered it, it was directly from Chris Brady...I got lucky I guess and had an awesome conversation about the instrument with him. I covent that drum, i'd let everything else go before that.

The Starclassics are an excellent choice then...I believe that DW has followed suit in a substantial quality drop off & well Gretsch has never been worth the money EVER!!! The jasper shells are a crock of shit, and not worth the extra money in my opinion. "That great Gretsch sound"...great marketing ploy & an excellent catch phrase that has fooled the masses into buying a decent shelled kits with garbage hardware for way too much money.

Ever see Spirit Drums?? I think they may be out of your price range, but the whole idea of the entire kit coming from one Ironwood tree intrigues me.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:39 pm

Pork Sword wrote:
Dale wrote:All my Brady gear was stolen years ago. Along with a shitload of other gear.

That is TERRIBLE!!!!
I think that warrants death to the theif....

Mate, that was nothing. You should have seen the cymbals I lost. Not to mention the sound gear and other items. I lost well over 1000 CD's. I had been away on tour with my second line gear. All my studio gear was at home. While away my insurance ran out. I missed out by two weeks. I'd been so busy travelling and playing, it totally slipped my mind. If I remember the tour lasted 3 months.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 am

Well it looks like I'll be getting this kit. There's a "hold" sign on it with my name on it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It's very much appreciated.

- Papa Jo Jones
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:13 am

well i accidentaly found this thread while doin some research bout a kit my buddy is tryin to sell me. and after reading this i pretty much have to buy it now lol. its a Tama Starclassic birch in the white finish(thats not made anymore according to tama) and its the 4pc. with the 20x18 bass(i prefer 22x20 or 24x20. but ill give this one a shot. ive heard a pearl 22x18 that i liked so maybe this one will blwo my m ind) but he only wants 500 for the 4pc kit. no hardware. and it is practicaly brand new. shells are in great shape. no damage. has brand new remo heads on i(i prefer aquarian but minor setback) and one thing i noticed was the matching bass to this kit is 789 online and not available in this color anymore. so i take it that its a decent kit haha. what you guys think. would i be gettin my monys worth on it for 500
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
tama drums and bmx rule
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:48 am

heyy how much does at 4 peice starclassic maple cost. 18" x 22" bass drum. 12" or 13" rack tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, and 5.5" x 14" snare?

i have a 2005 tama superstar but in the future i either want to get a starclassic performer or maple. oo yea and i how do i put pics on my replys?

thanx

tama drums
sabian and zildjian cymbals
remo heads
promark sticks
dixon and gibralter stands
iron cobra jr. double pedal
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:54 am

tama drums and bmx rule wrote: oo yea and i how do i put pics on my replys?l

http://www.drumsmylife.com/viewtopic.php?t=304
dim my eyes if they should compromise
drummer619
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:15 am

yeah it's top of the line, i own a Starclassic Performer(all birch) kit myself.....it's freakin tight :D
Tama 4 Life
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:38 am

I've sat down at several kits....
I am stunned by the Starclassics!
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
Mikkey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:31 pm

The starclassic line is good. If I had some more money at the moment I'd buy the Starclassic Bell Brass snare. I also think the bubinga 6-ply SC snares are pretty good. Really nuanced sound to them. You should check those out and maybe a combo of a SC maple kit with a bubinga snare would be the best of both worlds.
firecatryder
new
new

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:05 pm

i absolutely love tama drums, and as far as i know, their best set is the starclassic warlord set, which i found a few days ago. it is top of the line, 100% of the way.
pearl joey jordison signature set, sabian cymbals
bigbossman810
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:04 am

I got a great deal on a set of performers about two years ago. I absolutely love them. Fabulous sound, especially in the studio. Good luck to you.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:37 am

Thanks guys. I am getting the Starclassics. :D

- Papa Jo Jones
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:22 pm

Dale wrote:The kit I am thinking of getting is in the Gold Sunburst finish with black nickle hardware. The shells are 10" 12" & 14" in standard depths. The kick is 22".

It's just a shell pack, but the price is good. Basically just under $3000.00. Converts to $2,296.63 USD. Is this a good price?

I really want a Sonor kit, but the store I buy from doesn't sell Sonor. I tend to think of TAMA as the Japanese equivalent to Sonor, as far as quality and sound go.

But they aren't Sonor. I am up in the air about this. The store I buy from is where I teach, plus the guys are great and I get a good discount.

I bought a sonor kit last year and it was worth the $ and time to get what i wanted. don't just "settle" for what you can find locally look around and get what YOU wanr sonors are great kits!!I have had ludwigs,tamas,mapex cb's,etc over the years and always wanted that top of the line pro sonor kit now i got it .

Any thoughts appreciated.
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:23 pm

PaulZILLA wrote:well i accidentaly found this thread while doin some research bout a kit my buddy is tryin to sell me. and after reading this i pretty much have to buy it now lol. its a Tama Starclassic birch in the white finish(thats not made anymore according to tama) and its the 4pc. with the 20x18 bass(i prefer 22x20 or 24x20. but ill give this one a shot. ive heard a pearl 22x18 that i liked so maybe this one will blwo my m ind) but he only wants 500 for the 4pc kit. no hardware. and it is practicaly brand new. shells are in great shape. no damage. has brand new remo heads on i(i prefer aquarian but minor setback) and one thing i noticed was the matching bass to this kit is 789 online and not available in this color anymore. so i take it that its a decent kit haha. what you guys think. would i be gettin my monys worth on it for 500

WHAT YOU HAVEN'T BOUGHT THAT BAD ASS TOY YET?