TAMA question.

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:34 pm

Is the maple Starclassic a top of the line, or second line kit?

Many thanks.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:50 pm

top of the line, like any other Starclassic kit :)

EDIT - I think the newer Performers aren't made in Japan anymore so their quality may be a bit lower. Maples are made in Japan :)
dim my eyes if they should compromise
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:07 am

loop wrote:top of the line, like any other Starclassic kit :)

EDIT - I think the newer Performers aren't made in Japan anymore so their quality may be a bit lower. Maples are made in Japan :)

Thank you. :D

- Papa Jo Jones
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:33 am

Dale wrote:

Thank you. :D

no problem :)
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:50 am

They aren't made in Japan anymore...but they are still amazing kits for the money. The performers sound fantastic.

I think the Bubinga Omni-tunes are their "flagship" line now though...the maples are much lower priced.

either way though...Loop hit the nail on the head...the entire Starclassic line is their best stuff.

I just (like 1 hour ago) bought a Bubinga snare off ebay...so when it arrives I'll post a review of it. Hopefully it's nice...but I can't imagine it won't be considering Tama has never let me down.

I hope you are considering getting a kit of them...they are phenominal drums, and the Marigold Sparkle finish may just be the sexiest finish I've ever seen... :D
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:02 am

Starclassic Maples are cheaper but they aren't worse or something. They're 100% professional kits.

PS - I know Performers sound fantastic. I own a set of them(made in Japan) :)
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:32 am

oh no, I wasn't down playing the maples at all...one of my biggest regrets is selling my maple kit a few years back...They are some of the nicest drums I've ever played.

I was just saying that the Bubinga Omni's are their most expensive...sorry for the confusion.

I was looking into a set of performers recently, but I wound up going with the Ddrum Dominion ash series...as I felt it had the middle of the road kind of sounds (between Birch & Maple)...I still have a maple Ludwig kit, but I needed something a little different...I hope the Ddrums turn out to be nice...I was very interested in the Performers in the Lime Sparkle..but I couldn't get one anywhere...they were a very limited run.

What's your setup on the Performers??
The Ddrums turned out to be a god send in the sizes for me...I didn't have to comprimise at all..

20x20 kick
8 x 12 rack
10 x 14 floor
12 x 16 floor
7 x 13 snare
all had the die cast hoops & the black chrome hardware!!! I am excited & a little nervous at the same time. I sort of impulse bought them, without knowing a tremendous amount about them. I had about 15-20 minutes of playing time in my music store & they were quite impressive.

Ever play the old school Superstars?? Those are some amazing drums & you can pick up a kit fairly inexpensive now a days...the old thick birch shells sound so sick...my father still has his from 1977, and they are great!!! Tama is one of the best in my opinion.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:46 am

The kit I am thinking of getting is in the Gold Sunburst finish with black nickle hardware. The shells are 10" 12" & 14" in standard depths. The kick is 22".

It's just a shell pack, but the price is good. Basically just under $3000.00. Converts to $2,296.63 USD. Is this a good price?

I really want a Sonor kit, but the store I buy from doesn't sell Sonor. I tend to think of TAMA as the Japanese equivalent to Sonor, as far as quality and sound go.

But they aren't Sonor. I am up in the air about this. The store I buy from is where I teach, plus the guys are great and I get a good discount.

Any thoughts appreciated.

- Papa Jo Jones
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:55 am

Pork Sword wrote:I was just saying that the Bubinga Omni's are their most expensive...sorry for the confusion.

:)

Pork Sword wrote:What's your setup on the Performers??

22x16, 12x10, 14x12

They're great and the quality is top notch

PS - lovely snare you got there!
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:57 am

Yeah, $2300 USD is a very fair price for them...I paid just under that for my maple kit...but that was 5 or 6 years ago. So that's defiantley a great price given inflation. I think the Sonors are great drums, but you will not be disappointed in the least with the Tamas...they are every bit as quality as the Sonors. I find them to be alot more musical than the Designers too...One of my students has a Sonor Designer kit & I am not too big on the sound to be honest...and the hardware seems VERY bulky to boot. Take a serious look at them, they will defiantley make even the most discerning drummer happy as hell....

The pic of the snare I bought (above) has the black nickle hardware & personally I think it's quite awesome looking...chrome has just gotten way too run of the mill for my taste. Good luck with the kit...they will certainly be some of the most resonant & punchy drums you will ever play.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:57 am

Dale - I'm sure tou won't regret buiying the kit! The price looks quite good
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:24 am

Pork Sword wrote:Yeah, $2300 USD is a very fair price for them...I paid just under that for my maple kit...but that was 5 or 6 years ago. So that's defiantley a great price given inflation. I think the Sonors are great drums, but you will not be disappointed in the least with the Tamas...they are every bit as quality as the Sonors. I find them to be alot more musical than the Designers too...One of my students has a Sonor Designer kit & I am not too big on the sound to be honest...and the hardware seems VERY bulky to boot. Take a serious look at them, they will defiantley make even the most discerning drummer happy as hell....

The pic of the snare I bought (above) has the black nickle hardware & personally I think it's quite awesome looking...chrome has just gotten way too run of the mill for my taste. Good luck with the kit...they will certainly be some of the most resonant & punchy drums you will ever play.

Many thanks to Pork Sword and Loop. I am definitely thinking about it. The Sonors I wanted are the Delite maples. They have thinner shells than the Designers. I actually don't like the Designers because they remind me of the older Sonors; which I never liked.

There's certainly lots of kits to choose from for me. I have a budget of about $6000.00 AUD, provided the kit is worth the cost.

So with that in mind I have been looking heavily into many kits. I've checked out the Ludwig USA maple, but don't like the four on the floor bass drum legs or the hardware in general. Nice kits certainly, but.....?

I've given DW a real trial over a year or more. I've checked out heaps of DW kits but so far I have to say I don't really like them. Of course most of the time they've had Evans heads on them and I really don't like Evans heads. So it kind of makes it hard to judge. Plus in AUS they basically are only sold with wrap finishes because by the time a laquer kit is made and shipped this far south, the price goes through the roof.

I have checked out the Pearl Reference series. Some have sounded good. They remind me a bit of DW. But they have these really tacky wraps that look to me like they'll date quickly.

I checked out Gretsch USA maples and they are fully expensive here. For a kit the same size as the TAMA I'd have to spend about $9000.00! Plus I rang Gretsch and found out they don't make their shells.

So I think to myself; "How can they still be Gretsch if Gretsch don't make their shells?"

This is when that TAMA kit showed up. I'd like to hear it with Ambassador resonant heads combined with Fibreskin batters. I think it would sound a lot better than it did the other day when I checked out one of the toms with the clear Evans head.

It has a large golden TAMA logo on the kick reso' head. I'd like to airbrush a large sunfade heart under it. I think it would look nice.

Not that the head on the kick is a reason I'd buy the set.

- Papa Jo Jones
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:03 pm

I think you should give you homeland boy a test drive personally....I have never been more impressed with a precussion instrument.

Chris Brady makes the finest drums on the planet in my opinion!!! his kits and snares are made so well and the shell construction is 2nd to none in my opinion. I have a Jarrah 7 x 14 snare drum that is the absolute pinnacle of my collection.

I'd give him a serious look...you definatley have the funds to get anything he offers & you'll save considerably for shipping.
lowdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:31 pm

I have a tama starclassic birch kit, best sounding kit ive played next to the maple ones.
Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit #1
Tama Starclassic Birch kit #2
DW snare
DW 9000 double pedal
DW 9000 series hardware
Zildjian A and Z custom Cymbals
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:48 pm

Pork Sword wrote:I think you should give you homeland boy a test drive personally....I have never been more impressed with a precussion instrument.

Chris Brady makes the finest drums on the planet in my opinion!!! his kits and snares are made so well and the shell construction is 2nd to none in my opinion. I have a Jarrah 7 x 14 snare drum that is the absolute pinnacle of my collection.

I'd give him a serious look...you definatley have the funds to get anything he offers & you'll save considerably for shipping.

I've owned Brady drums in the past and they were incredible. However, Chris no longer owns the company and their gear is now not up to speed. I'd buy a Pearl Session kit over a Brady made today. That shows you just how far they have fallen. Even so, to buy a kit would cost me about 10 grand. The Brady kits today are not worth me wasting a minute even looking at them.

There is a good drum builder here named Don Sleishman. But his kits are too pricey for what they ultimately offer. He uses wood from overseas.

All my Brady gear was stolen years ago. Along with a shitload of other gear.

- Papa Jo Jones