To all multiple kit owners...

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bunnybunny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:52 am

To all you folks that own more than one drumset, I have a question:

Do you own more than one COMPLETE drumset, or do have more than one "shell pack"??

That is, do you have a HH stand and BD pedal and cymbals and throne and EVERYTHING for EVERY kit you own, or do you have to pirate parts/items from from one kit to the next?

I'm trying to decide what I want to do with all my extra parts, arms, pedals, etc. I have accumulated over the years.

I have my "nice" kit and all its bells and whistles, and I also have a "beater" kit. Right now I could have each kit set up in two different places and never have to "steal" an item from one to make the other one complete.

I'm wondering if having a "complete" kit and a "beater shell pack" is enough.

Your thoughts?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:44 pm

I'd love to have 2 or 3 complete sets. I switch between them whenever I felt like it.
I guess if you gig a lot it's better to have one full set to rehearse and the second full set in cases to travel.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
drummert2k

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:02 pm

4 complete kits ( i also play a small set up. kick, snare, tom, floor tom, ride hi hats crash) and 3 shell kits. i basically have no life or desire to own anything but drums. plus i only have one kit out as a practice kit at my house, one kit at the place where we practice and my 2 good kits that i use out for shows cased up so all i gotta do for a show is grab the proper cases and go. no tearing stuff down before i leave or setting stuff back up when i get home. it makes everything a lot easier. the kits that i just have drums for (shell kits) get rotated in and out with my one show kit.
dutch
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:13 pm

i have 3 completes, one stays in the bands trailer, the other isn't set up at my apartment, and the third (which my friend asked me to hold onto about a year ago) is set up at the practice space, makes playing shows much hassle free (although i steal my axis pedals and roc and soc seat from the trailer)
AndeAir
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:07 pm

I have the nice Slingerland 9 peice that i keep at the house for myself, a 5 piece electric that i use to mess around on or travel with. and the 4 piece that i give lessons on or take out to live gigs. only one set of cymbals though. but that's just due to funds. i'd love to have a lot more hardware, just can't afford it though.
AndeAir
Always searching for a deeper pocket to play.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:51 am

I have a larger kit that I just break up into different smaller kits, depending on what the job calls for at the time.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
drummerboi
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:41 pm

I have 3 kits and 2 complete sets of cymbals and hardware. I just like to mix things up a bit.
The Freq
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:50 pm

I have 4 complete kits.. One big kit that I'll break down once in a while for certain gigs , and 3 other kits that are roughly jazz style set ups with single rack and double floors. I just love toys.. :D
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:16 pm

i only have one kit :'(
i really want another complete one...
lets drum fast and sexy :]
DrumminBari
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:54 am

3 shell packs, 1 rack and enough stands to set up all three. I also have more then enough cymbals for all three. The only thing I dont have 3 of is bass drum pedals, because I only need one, Axis longboard.
xSka Stephenx
new
new

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:39 pm

I own a four piece OCDP and an eight piece Tama that I owned before my OCDP was built. I have many cymbals and lots of hardware, but usually just play my Orange County. I'm currently trying to sell the Tama.
-xSSx
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:50 pm

I've got three complete kits...

I have my Trick Kit (10,12,14,16,22 and snare), with the rack, plus stands if I want to setup a more compact configuration.

I have a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit 8,8,10,12,14,22,and snare) with a rack or I can use the stands from the trick setup

I have a late 70's Gretsch BeBop kit (12,14,18 and snare) that has stands.

I have one cymbal setup that moves from kit to kit in various configurations.
wg93081
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:33 pm

I have 2 complete kits! Think of PORTNOYS Siamese monster! 8)
Will Geronimo
Drums, Cymbals, Percussion
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:51 pm

Two completes, and then two shell packs. I keep one kit set up to practice(late 70's Slingerland kit), and then the other one for gigging(Birch Premiers). I have a recording kit that moves in(Yamaha Recording Customs) and becomes my practice kit sometimes... and then a Pearl rythm travler kit for accoustic gigs.

Two sets of hardware for a gigging drummer is needed I think. Its too much of a pain in the ass having to tear all your hardware down from your practice kit to gig with.

On that note... I want a new gigging kit. Ash or maple.
ThunderofSukus
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:24 pm

The Heel wrote:Two completes, and then two shell packs. I keep one kit set up to practice(late 70's Slingerland kit), and then the other one for gigging(Birch Premiers). I have a recording kit that moves in(Yamaha Recording Customs) and becomes my practice kit sometimes... and then a Pearl rythm travler kit for accoustic gigs.

Two sets of hardware for a gigging drummer is needed I think. Its too much of a pain in the ass having to tear all your hardware down from your practice kit to gig with.

On that note... I want a new gigging kit. Ash or maple.

I agree. I too have an Rt and Bring out my Main Stage kit with it.

Back on topic. I use a mixture of existing hardware along with add-on packs. Just depends on the deal at the time. I have hardware for Practce use as well as live/studio use that I rotate on and off the kits. Some of my hardware doesn't interchange (e.g., Sonor hardware)

I think having as many options at your desposal is more benificial as opposed to over-kill.