top 3 most preferable drummers & why

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Bonzo21290
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:49 pm

top 3 most preferable drummers and why.
(no order)
carlock- because i love his uncommon style of melodies between the drums and cymbals and he's really smooth
bruford- because bill is very innovative and techinical. he doesnt limit himself when playing and setting up his kit
colaiuta- he's amazing. i love his drum sound as well.. hes a great player
Zildjian
Pearl
DW
LP
Evans
Vic Firth.
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:23 am

1 - George Kollias (for the sheer raw talent he projects

2 - Morgan Rose (because he sings!)

3 - Matt McDonough (because hes solid as a rock in a cement block in a sidewalk on the planet earth!)
Its not even that hard to play, its just hard to count! Fuck it!
jazzydrumr19
new
new

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:26 am

Travis is an amaaaazing drummer everything he does is soo technical theres rarely a beat that he playes in songs that is a simple beat everything is soo complex... BIG FAN HIS AND BIG FAN OF OC DRUMS!!!
seriously u can bash blink- 182 but u cannot bash travis barker
Cockfight Custom Drums
Zildjian A customs
14" Hats
16" crash
18" crash
20" crash
16" Wuhan China
6 1/2" Zil-Bel
Evans Heads
DW Double Bass pedal
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:40 am

Danny Carey - because his technicality is amazing.

Neil Peart - self explanitory

Buddy Rich - because hes so fast and hes the reason i got into drumming
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:47 am

Jon Theodore - Becoz of his extreamly technical playing style

Chad Smith - he got me into playing drums seriously :)

Dave Grohl - He is quite a uniqe drummer, i love his style
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:55 am

My three favourite drummers? I don't really play favourites, but will give it a go.

Steve Gadd. Why? I suppose because everything he's ever done has been perfect. He has played some very complex music with people such as Al Di Meola and Chic Corea and others. He has also played some of the most simple grooves around. And in everything he's done there is so much heart and soul.

I think one example of how great he is was the old Buddy Rich memorial concert he played alongside Dave Weckl and Vinnie Colaiuta. The two young hot shots came on stage and tried to blow everyone away with chops. They did a very good job of course. Then Gadd came on stage, counted off a downbeat, played quarter notes and the entire band sat solid on his deep groove. Steve Marcus wore a HUGE smile when Gadd came on. Gadd had nothing to prove. All he had to do was groove. And by doing so he stole the show.

Bill Summers. Why do I like Bill Summers so much? Well, not only is he a superlative percussionist, he also has a deep respect for rhythm and its tradition and to those who created and guarded it. Bill always pays tribute to the past as well as to the future when he plays. At least that's how I hear it. His deep groove can be found on countless recordings he made with Quincy Jones and others.

Carlinhos Brown. Why? Just listen to the percussion arrangements on Alfagamabetizado. There is nothing today happening on a drumset that comes even close. Carlinhos, like many other great Brasilian batucada leaders, has the ability to arrange ensemble pieces for many drummers. How can a drumset player compete with that?

Plus, who else out there would begin an album by dragging more than 40 surdos across a studio floor? "Srrrreeeeechhhhhh!!!!"
Classic!
:D
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
mortem
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:19 am

The main reason I chose these three fellas is that everytime I listen to them they keep blowing me away. In no particular order:

-Dennis Chambers

-Horacio 'El Negro' Hernández

-Danny Carey
"Master your instrument, master the music... then forget all that shit and just play."
-Charlie Parker

www.myspace.com/elfungo
www.last.fm/user/m0rtem
http://www.youtube.com/m0rtem
GolfKahuna
new
new

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:50 am

My top 3 was very hard to come up with since there are so many to choose from! Mine would have to be:

Neil Peart
Tony Royster Jr.
Go-Go Ray aka Drum Counselor
makes
new
new

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:53 am

Steve Jordan
Steve Gadd
Andy Newmark

These guys plays music, not just technical drumming.
drumgroovy
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:11 am

I know he's a little overrated, but Mike Portnoy would be my favourite. He's ugly though.

George Kollias for being able to make it sound like double pedalling with one foot. Respect his speed.

Matt McDonough from Mudvayne is also a favourite. Mudvayne's Dig was one of the first songs I ever played and is still my favourite... but it's also Matt's easiest. This guy's insane.
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 am

There are quite a few drummers who really catch my attention, and my list fort this thread could possibly take up an entire page, so i'll keep it to my top three.

Rey Herrara - His double bass work on every Fear Factory album is absolutely amazing.

Gene Hoghland - A precision machine. He pulls off things on every Strapping Young Lad album that I cant figure out, even when I read the tabs for it!! He is fast, he's solid, and my jove...he wears boots while he plays!!

Nickolas Barker - This man can blast his way tot he moon and back without breaking a sweat. His double bass work is amazing, and the way he breaks up his fills and makes them unique is very admirable.
Vetis
drummert2k

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:41 am

jazzydrumr19 wrote:Travis is an amaaaazing drummer everything he does is soo technical theres rarely a beat that he playes in songs that is a simple beat everything is soo complex... BIG FAN HIS AND BIG FAN OF OC DRUMS!!!
seriously u can bash blink- 182 but u cannot bash travis barker

I second this. although his drum parts arent diffecult in a technical playing way. his creativity in writting his parts is what i like. BTW if you dont have the plus 44 disc you should. once again, creativity is the key.
Crusher
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:23 am

My top 3, because they always make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I hear them......

Dave Lombardo
Chris Adler
Richard Christie
Tama Drums - Sabian Cymbals - Vater Sticks - Evans Heads