Premier XPKs

You have a Kit that You're proud of it? We want to see it!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby tuffbreaks » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:07 am

McSleeps wrote:I'm pretty sure that my kit is an XPK, but i don't really know the difference between XPK and APK, plus there's nothing on the drums that say what series it is. The lugs on my kit are different than the ones on yours, and the inside of the shells are not black, but either way the kit sounds great and I love it! Anyways here are a few pictures of my kit.

Yeah, it looks like an XPK all right. I think they only did the APK in solid colours. I have an XPK in the Topaz finish, the same finish as Leigh's. However, it has the same lugs as yours, and the inside of the shells are also not black. Mine is an earlier version of the XPK than Leigh's, they changed the design not long after I got mine, so I'm glad I got it when I did.

I purchased my kit in 1998, if anyone's curious to know when these versions were about.
tuffbreaks
new
new

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Premier Royale

Postby Drummyfizzle » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:55 am

Hey everyone, I'm new to this drum forum caper.

I have a royale kit (with black insides), I heard that the Royale was the top line kit in the late 70's and early 80's until it was replaced with the APK and XPK range - does anyone know anything more about this subject?

My kit is 7 piece and I don't have any photo's of the full kit yet but there are some photo's of it as a 3 and 5 piece set up here:

http://www.drummyfizzle.bebo.com

http://www.myspace.com/drummyfizzle

Let me know what you think?

Cheers
Come Shizzle wit the Fizzle bra's.

Drummyfizzle plays Mapex and Premier drums with Sabian & Zildjian cymbals, oh and a Tama snare. lol
Drummyfizzle
new
new

The XPK Legacy

Postby l_e_i_g_h » Thu May 10, 2007 3:27 am

Heya tuffbreaks,

When you purchased your kit back in 1998 did it come with everything? [i.e. the hardware (even hats and the bass drum pedal..and a throne).] I guess I was blessed to have gotten my XPK in that condition (It was from someone who had it in his garage and had switched to an electronic kit).

Also...any chance you can share pics of your XPK? (Plus Set-up details when you do lug it along to gigs...would be great!)

The Curious One,
Leigh

tuffbreaks wrote:
McSleeps wrote:I'm pretty sure that my kit is an XPK, but i don't really know the difference between XPK and APK, plus there's nothing on the drums that say what series it is. The lugs on my kit are different than the ones on yours, and the inside of the shells are not black, but either way the kit sounds great and I love it! Anyways here are a few pictures of my kit.

Yeah, it looks like an XPK all right. I think they only did the APK in solid colours. I have an XPK in the Topaz finish, the same finish as Leigh's. However, it has the same lugs as yours, and the inside of the shells are also not black. Mine is an earlier version of the XPK than Leigh's, they changed the design not long after I got mine, so I'm glad I got it when I did.

I purchased my kit in 1998, if anyone's curious to know when these versions were about.
It's "Lei" not "Lee"
l_e_i_g_h
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re: Premier Royale

Postby l_e_i_g_h » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:13 pm

Drummyfizzle,

Welcome to the forum!

How are those pics doing?

- Leigh

Drummyfizzle wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new to this drum forum caper.

I have a royale kit (with black insides), I heard that the Royale was the top line kit in the late 70's and early 80's until it was replaced with the APK and XPK range - does anyone know anything more about this subject?

My kit is 7 piece and I don't have any photo's of the full kit yet but there are some photo's of it as a 3 and 5 piece set up here:

http://www.drummyfizzle.bebo.com

http://www.myspace.com/drummyfizzle

Let me know what you think?

Cheers
It's "Lei" not "Lee"
l_e_i_g_h
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby mikeellis » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:07 am

Some info for you guys...

The APK range started life in 1985 as the Royale APK, the Royale range was introduced in 1983 to replace the Premier Club series, which itself had replaced the Olympic line that had been around since 1937. APK was the acronym for 'Advanced Power Kit', offering drummers on a budget the chance to own a kit in 'power' sizes.

By 1987 the Royale range had been reduced a single headed beginner kit and both APK and Royale were sporting the single tension 'speedboat hull' lugs. By 1989, the XPK range was introduced and the Royale disappeared and both A and XPK now having Premier's classic hi-ten single braced lugs.

The difference between A and X is A are wrapped and X are lacquered, otherwise they are the same. The wood used over the years has changed, originally made from luan then with a birch veneer over merranti and by 1997, they were a birch/eucalyptus/birch 'sandwich', they also were fitted with the small 'mini-mass' lugs at this time. The APK line was discontinued a few years later, replaced by the Cabria range and XPK followed shortly after.

Recently Premier has reintroduced the range with the Cabria XPK, Cabria APK and Cabria PK series.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

XPK History

Postby l_e_i_g_h » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing those facts about the evolution of the XPK. Do you still have a Premier Kit in your shed? (You know before the Cabria range started coming out?)

I visited your site and saw a couple of premier snares. How often do you use each of them?

I found with premier, their hardware is pretty much top notch, plus there is consistency (nothing drastic about clamps...and if you had an old clamp, and a new clamp...they would be pretty much interchangeable (aside from the advancements of the new clamp of course)

Hah...who am I kidding...Pearl sort of has the same thing going on! (and I bet other manufacturers as well.) I might juse be biased. 8)

Regards,
Leigh

mikeellis wrote:Some info for you guys...

The APK range started life in 1985 as the Royale APK, the Royale range was introduced in 1983 to replace the Premier Club series, which itself had replaced the Olympic line that had been around since 1937. APK was the acronym for 'Advanced Power Kit', offering drummers on a budget the chance to own a kit in 'power' sizes.

By 1987 the Royale range had been reduced a single headed beginner kit and both APK and Royale were sporting the single tension 'speedboat hull' lugs. By 1989, the XPK range was introduced and the Royale disappeared and both A and XPK now having Premier's classic hi-ten single braced lugs.

The difference between A and X is A are wrapped and X are lacquered, otherwise they are the same. The wood used over the years has changed, originally made from luan then with a birch veneer over merranti and by 1997, they were a birch/eucalyptus/birch 'sandwich', they also were fitted with the small 'mini-mass' lugs at this time. The APK line was discontinued a few years later, replaced by the Cabria range and XPK followed shortly after.

Recently Premier has reintroduced the range with the Cabria XPK, Cabria APK and Cabria PK series.
It's "Lei" not "Lee"
l_e_i_g_h
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Timekeep69 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Is that the same Leigh from Hot drum?
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby phoenix7289 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:36 pm

It's a pretty nice setup man! But don't you think you could use a slightly nicer hi hat stand? :P
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Postby slingerland66 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:05 am

thank you so much for posting this forum. i got a premier set when i was 12 years old... the owners manual said for APK and XPK... now knowing that the XPKs have the black interior shells, i now know what i have. I love my XPKs. they have such a deep boomy sound. another vintage set that i own... xpks are no longer in production. Premier drums are way too underated.
Use vintage drums with vented snares for the best of both worlds.
slingerland66
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re: XPK History

Postby mikeellis » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:27 am

l_e_i_g_h wrote:Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing those facts about the evolution of the XPK. Do you still have a Premier Kit in your shed? (You know before the Cabria range started coming out?)

I visited your site and saw a couple of premier snares. How often do you use each of them?

I found with premier, their hardware is pretty much top notch, plus there is consistency (nothing drastic about clamps...and if you had an old clamp, and a new clamp...they would be pretty much interchangeable (aside from the advancements of the new clamp of course)

Hah...who am I kidding...Pearl sort of has the same thing going on! (and I bet other manufacturers as well.) I might juse be biased. 8)

Regards,
Leigh

I don't actually own a Premier kit any more! I sold my white Resonator kit last year, but as you've seen, I do have quite a few Premier snares. I'm currently playing a 'marmalade' sparkle DM kit and also have an Eddie Ryan kit that was originally made for Paul McCartney and used on the 'Ebony and Ivory' video in the early 80's. I also have another Eddie Ryan kit which was made for Paul Cook when he was in the Sex Pistols, that one is undergoing a refurb, I'm taking the bass drum back to Eddie next week for some repair work.

Premier hadware was always good, from the flush based Lokfasts up to the Triloks, which are near indestructable - made from all steel. Real heavyweight stuff, and as you say - interchangeable.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby mikeellis » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:28 am

Timekeep69 wrote:Is that the same Leigh from Hot drum?

the 'leigh' here appears to be from Australia. So I don't think it's the same one!!
Proud endorser of
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Premier XPK

Postby Stratogizer » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:34 pm

I also have a Premier XPK kit. Yours is an older model and style than the last XPK's. The biggest noticeable difference is the lugs. Premier has not made a lug like that in quite a while, but yours are nice. Premier has always made beautiful lugs. The lugs on mine are the mini style, the exact same as the new Artist Kits that have been out for a while. The second noticeable thing would be the black on the inside. Mine are the natural Birch on the inside. In fact I'm not so sure that your kit might be a Cabria, but it is not an APK. I have never seen an XPK drum that was painted black on the inside. The APK kits are painted black on the inside, with a couple of mahogany plies, and the outer shells are covered. NEVER buy an APK kit or drum. The APK is bottom line cheap junk, whereas the XPK is a fantastic drum.

The XPK drums are no longer made and has been replaced by the Artist kits. I bought a brand new Artist Birch kit for my son just a few months ago and the lugs and finish are identical to my XPK. Besides being all birch the Artist kit has some other upgrades above the XPK. 10 Lugs on the Bass drum instead of 8. The Artist bass drum claws are solid cast instead of the bent sheet metal of the XPK, and the tom mount that goes on the bass drum has been re-designed (a little smoother). The Artist Bass Drum Hoops are blonde on the inside which looks great, and all the toms have rim mounts. My XPK did not have rim mounts but they came out with them on the XPK a year or two later.

I bought my XPK's new in 1996 from Guitar Center and I believe that was the first year of the newer style with the mini lugs. The 5-piece shell pack was $900 with no hardware. Mine are Rosewood Lacquer (a beautiful dark red), Birch on the inner and outer plies and Mixed with Eucalyptus plies. I love the Sound and Looks of my XPK's.
Stratogizer
new
new

Re: Premier XPK

Postby mikeellis » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:52 am

Stratogizer wrote:The APK is bottom line cheap junk, whereas the XPK is a fantastic drum.

The only difference between the APK and the XPK was the finish. How can that determine one being junk and the other not? :?:
Proud endorser of
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby l_e_i_g_h » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi Timekeep69,

I haven't heard about 'hot drum' so....you might be referring to someone different. :)

Timekeep69 wrote:Is that the same Leigh from Hot drum?
It's "Lei" not "Lee"
l_e_i_g_h
drumming adept
drumming adept

Just got Cabria XPK

Postby Rem » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:49 pm

Yeah, my new Cabria XPK (December 2006 Models and onwards) just came

I got it in "Heavy Rock 22"

basically, alot like yours

I love it
Rem
session drummer