AQUARIAN CYMBAL SPRING??????

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

fullmetaldrummer87
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:51 am

Any thoughts on it? Good? Bad?

I got a new chinese for Christmas, a 16", LP Rancan (Same thing as the Wuhan's that Neil Peart played).
My old man suggested one of those Aquarian cymbal springs, and he said the guy that he bought it from told him that's what he used and what was recommended.

Now my experience with these things, I played on a kit a few times at my buddy's house, and he had the cymbal springs on the crashes, and they sounded choked, and were very stiff. They didn't flow or move. There was no play in the cymbals at all. Could it be that he just had the springs adjusted very tight and there is an option to loosen them?
With my china's, I've always just plopped them on a stand, upside down (bell upside down, facing the floor) and I tighten them down just enough so that there is still some "play" and so they're not choked. I've busted a few Wuhan china's though, at least one every year, a 12" one. Should I go ahead and try the Aquarian cymbal spring? Will it prolong the life of my china, but at the same time, not choking it or making it stiff?
Help me out and share some of your thoughts/advice, please. Thanks.
SGarrett

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:28 am

I have one of the yellow ones. They actually work really good on china cymbals.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 am

I've used the springs on my chinas for years, much better IMHO than wing nuts and felts - they keep the cymbal in the best playing position and reduce stress on the centre hole.
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
screamkevin

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:19 am

The cymbal spring is the only Aquarian product that I use and promote. Using them on your chinas will make them last longer, as the flex provided by the cymbal spring allows the vibration of the cymbal to distribute out and away from the cymbal. It's choking of chinas on the stands that produces 90% of their breakage.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:12 pm

i wanted to get some of these but didnt know if they were good. if theyre good enough for billyray therye good enough for me
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:32 pm

My only problem is that I bent them and they stayed bent
The concept has proven to work
Even other products like the slicknut seem to have borrowed a bit from the cymbal spring
You say irritant, I say catalyst
sefalik
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:21 pm

I just recently got the yellow one for my 18" china. I don't hit very hard though, I actually just got it because the angle I mount the china somewhat limits the movement. I think I might have been better off with the red one just because I don't hit that hard, but this one is still very nice and does just what I wanted it to do.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:13 pm

I use the springs for an entirely different reason- Consistency on rental kits.

Always I get the rental kits with no felts, washers, wingnuts, etc. on the cymbal stands. Rather than carry a bag full of felts, washers, etc. I bring 4 of the cymbal springs.

They are good; I would not recommend the red ones, as to me they are flimsy.

PS I'm an endorser of Aquarian products so I gotta say, their stuff is great, and the company is top-notch. :)
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:49 pm

I used to use them for E-cymbals; I found the reds to be flimsy too. Had one loosen up on me, it got way too wobbly. Like any spring, they 'unwind' after a while.
The yellows are nice for big rides or chinas.
SGarrett

Post Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:39 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:I use the springs for an entirely different reason- Consistency on rental kits.

Always I get the rental kits with no felts, washers, wingnuts, etc. on the cymbal stands. Rather than carry a bag full of felts, washers, etc. I bring 4 of the cymbal springs.

PS I'm an endorser of Aquarian products so I gotta say, their stuff is great, and the company is top-notch. :)

Hrrruhm. That's a damn good idea!
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:26 pm

SGarrett wrote:
BillRayDrums wrote:I use the springs for an entirely different reason- Consistency on rental kits.

I have a bag of Cymbal Crowns in my gig bag for the same purpose, be prepared!!
Proud endorser of
HIGHWOOD DRUMS, PAISTE CYMBALS, SILVERFOX STICKS, BASKEY ACCESSORIES, DUALLIST PEDALS & HARDCASE CASES.
SGarrett

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:03 pm

mikeellis wrote:
SGarrett wrote:

I have a bag of Cymbal Crowns in my gig bag for the same purpose, be prepared!!

I have felts, sleeves, and wing nuts in my bag. Four or five springs would be much easier.
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:10 pm

I use two yellow ones and they have really make a difference as far as cymbals cracking. I would not suggest them for a crash or china you are going to ride on. The can move quite a bit once you start laying into it.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon May 05, 2008 2:11 pm

sorry to resurrect this thread, but i just bought a new aax china and a yellow spring, and i'm pretty confused. first off, the spring doesn't go down the stand far enough. i've got pearl 800 series hardware and the spring sits on the threads of the stand, and i'm worried about the screw crushing the threads. so there's that. secondly the spring seems like it's under ridiculous tension. i can barely get it to budge when i shove it with my hands, and there's no way a cymbal could get it to compress any farther. do i have to unlock it or something to use it? as it stands there is a full 1/4" of space between the two yellow pieces.

thanks guys!
mikeellis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 06, 2008 1:22 pm

The securing nut won't damage the thread of a quality made stand. So, since yours is Pearl, you'll jave to live with a damaged thread I reckon.

:lol:

Set it up, hit your cymbal, the spring will move. You'd be surprised at the forces you exert on your cymbals when you hit them.
Proud endorser of