is this real...?

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
kylevater
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 am
Location: key west, fl

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:40 pm

do they have headpone mufflers that you can plug an ipod into with speakers in the muffler? know what i mean?
because i like to learn songs from listening but its annoying haveing to switch from ear plug to ipod headphone
and i dont like playing without earplugs ill go deaf
It's challenging you: Image
User avatar
m
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:13 pm
Location: Mobile/ATL/NOLA

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:48 pm

I've got a pair of Metrophones and a set of Studio Kans (without the metronome)
both are isolation headphones with Koss speakers built in, they sound very good.
They use a line-in stereo cable, so just about anything you can plug into can be sent to their input.
I'm not sure what kind of output level iPods put out; I guess there's a chance of an impedance mismatch,
but otherwise these are decent monitoring headphones.

http://www.bigbangdist.com/metrophones.htm
User avatar
kylevater
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 am
Location: key west, fl

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:54 pm

m wrote:I've got a pair of Metrophones and a set of Studio Kans (without the metronome)
both are isolation headphones with Koss speakers built in, they sound very good.
They use a line-in stereo cable, so just about anything you can plug into can be sent to their input.
I'm not sure what kind of output level iPods put out; I guess there's a chance of an impedance mismatch,
but otherwise these are decent monitoring headphones.

http://www.bigbangdist.com/metrophones.htm

thank you thank you
It's challenging you: Image
User avatar
m
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:13 pm
Location: Mobile/ATL/NOLA

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:17 pm

no problem!

If you want, I'll try to remember to borrow somebody's iPod next time I'm at the studio and see how the impedance situation plays out.
The 'phones really isolate well though, so even if the volume level isn't very high it might work OK...
User avatar
kylevater
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 am
Location: key west, fl

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:27 pm

and just how much are these things?
im guessing alot
It's challenging you: Image
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:45 pm

I use Sennheiser HD280 headphones with 33db of isolation.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
User avatar
drummer912
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Georgia

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:58 pm

i put the ipod speaker in my ear than use a pair of Colt shooting ear muffs over that. works fine for me.
DW drums and hardware
Sabian, Paiste and, of course, SALUDA cymbals
Aquarian drum heads
User avatar
m
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:13 pm
Location: Mobile/ATL/NOLA

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:00 pm

kylevater wrote:and just how much are these things?
im guessing alot


they're usually about $100
User avatar
drummer912
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 997
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 3:25 pm
Location: Georgia

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:03 pm

DW drums and hardware
Sabian, Paiste and, of course, SALUDA cymbals
Aquarian drum heads
User avatar
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:26 am
Location: concord, nc

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:27 pm

zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
drumshark
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:12 am

this is how i do it, its cheap and easy, go out and buy some $25 or $30 over the head ear plugs (like they wear when shooting, they look like ear muffs) and run your headphones up through them, try and get kinda bigger over hear plug so if you have semi big headphones they will fit, but it works better than any noise cancelling headphones will, and its alot cheaper.
6 Peice Hohner
13, 14, 16, 16 inch toms
22x15 inch Bass
20 inch, 16 inch Sabian
20inch, 16 inch, and 14 inch Zildjian
Zildjian Hi-Hat
User avatar
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1367
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:57 am
Location: Minneapolis MN

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:33 am

drumshark wrote:this is how i do it, its cheap and easy, go out and buy some $25 or $30 over the head ear plugs (like they wear when shooting, they look like ear muffs) and run your headphones up through them, try and get kinda bigger over hear plug so if you have semi big headphones they will fit, but it works better than any noise cancelling headphones will, and its alot cheaper.


this is what i friend of mine did only he took a pair of broken headphones(like the cheapo 20 dollar ones) and just took the speakers out of em and put them into some big ear mufflers like the ones shooters wear. he routed and taped all the wiring to it and they work great!
User avatar
kylevater
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2202
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 am
Location: key west, fl

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:34 am

iatemygoat wrote:
drumshark wrote:this is how i do it, its cheap and easy, go out and buy some $25 or $30 over the head ear plugs (like they wear when shooting, they look like ear muffs) and run your headphones up through them, try and get kinda bigger over hear plug so if you have semi big headphones they will fit, but it works better than any noise cancelling headphones will, and its alot cheaper.


this is what i friend of mine did only he took a pair of broken headphones(like the cheapo 20 dollar ones) and just took the speakers out of em and put them into some big ear mufflers like the ones shooters wear. he routed and taped all the wiring to it and they work great!

but the sound mustve been crappy
It's challenging you: Image