sticks built for speed

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

mrgreenjeans2234
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:26 pm

I personaly have about 12 differnt types of sticks at any one point in time or another
all organized by weight.
i find for me personaly though i am an odball that the best all around quick stick is a 5b by any brand.
that being said thought ive been doing drumline since highschool through college and 2 years in the core.
and i was marching snare all 10 years. so ive been using heavy corpmasters so my wrists have acomidated to go at 200bpm with marching sticks so really anything works fast for me.
but thats totaly me and im off topic.

i think where im going with this. its all personal prefrence. my two cents. 5bs but thats just me.
you should go to your local music store and just go stick by stick and not like hit a cymbal or start playing set with them because you didnt by them but like find a snare take some ideal sticks and just hit a few notes feel the weight and go from there and find the perfect stick for you.
but if you like your vaters alot then go the marching stick route and just use them whever practicing youll build forarm muscles thatll allow you to use anystick.
:D
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:31 am

mrgreenjeans2234 wrote:I personaly have about 12 differnt types of sticks at any one point in time or another
all organized by weight.
i find for me personaly though i am an odball that the best all around quick stick is a 5b by any brand.
that being said thought ive been doing drumline since highschool through college and 2 years in the core.
and i was marching snare all 10 years. so ive been using heavy corpmasters so my wrists have acomidated to go at 200bpm with marching sticks so really anything works fast for me.
but thats totaly me and im off topic.

i think where im going with this. its all personal prefrence. my two cents. 5bs but thats just me.
you should go to your local music store and just go stick by stick and not like hit a cymbal or start playing set with them because you didnt by them but like find a snare take some ideal sticks and just hit a few notes feel the weight and go from there and find the perfect stick for you.
but if you like your vaters alot then go the marching stick route and just use them whever practicing youll build forarm muscles thatll allow you to use anystick.
:D

cool! yeah someone else mentioned marching sticks i believe. ive got a pair that a buddy of mine got me for my birthday. ill have to ook around for them though. if not my other friend is an instructor now so he could get me a pair for free most likely. i mean the school is endorsed by by pro-mark i think.
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:00 pm

at the mo im using vic firth 7a's, they'll last you a gig or 2, their gud for blasts
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
Martybabes
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:06 pm

Seriously get a pair of vic firth marching sticks, you will not regret it, play with them for a few weeks, and switch back to your normal size sticks, your speed will have developed so much, i really do recommend them to any drummer.
Get busy living, or get busy dying
FiestyRedDrummEr
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Martybabes wrote:Seriously get a pair of vic firth marching sticks, you will not regret it, play with them for a few weeks, and switch back to your normal size sticks, your speed will have developed so much, i really do recommend them to any drummer.

I agree.
Vic Firths corpsmasters
Can't go wrong.
You didn't steal my riff, it was free.
SGarrett

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:49 pm

Just need to add this. Don't use marching sticks on your kit, just a practice pad.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:09 am

SGarrett wrote:Just need to add this. Don't use marching sticks on your kit, just a practice pad.

haha well duh!
SGarrett

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:32 am

iatemygoat wrote:
SGarrett wrote:Just need to add this. Don't use marching sticks on your kit, just a practice pad.

haha well duh!

I don't want anyone coming back here and saying that it's my fault their shells separated. You'd be really surprised. :D
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:18 am

id recomened practice in with the danny carey or the thomas lang sig model , their pretty chunky and give ur wrists a gud work out
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:31 am

In my oppinion all those sticks are too beefy, unless your gonna be using wide sticks al the time. look for something heavy but still with the same diameter as the stick you use
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:14 am

xdoseonex wrote:In my oppinion all those sticks are too beefy, unless your gonna be using wide sticks al the time. look for something heavy but still with the same diameter as the stick you use

i think the idea was that u practice with beefy sticks n then use skinny sticks live
FiestyRedDrummEr
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:45 am

phil-drummer wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:In my oppinion all those sticks are too beefy, unless your gonna be using wide sticks al the time. look for something heavy but still with the same diameter as the stick you use

i think the idea was that u practice with beefy sticks n then use skinny sticks live

honestly. I think it improves your hand control. to practice with ON A DRUMPAD something that is chunky. It teaches you to keep your hands and grips loose. So that you don't become too tight and wear your chops out faster than you should. you know a lot of things happen to your chops when you get on stage, with the rush running through you. I know a lot of drummsers that over play and get tight and actually injure themselves. So there are benefits to practice with chunky sticks. I'm not saying use them forever and play everything with them. its unreal. Practice your set with your regular comfortable sticks. and to BUILD up speed and strength in your chops, use the beefy ones.
You didn't steal my riff, it was free.
SGarrett

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:47 pm

FiestyRedDrummEr wrote:
phil-drummer wrote:

honestly. I think it improves your hand control. to practice with ON A DRUMPAD something that is chunky. It teaches you to keep your hands and grips loose. So that you don't become too tight and wear your chops out faster than you should. you know a lot of things happen to your chops when you get on stage, with the rush running through you. I know a lot of drummsers that over play and get tight and actually injure themselves. So there are benefits to practice with chunky sticks. I'm not saying use them forever and play everything with them. its unreal. Practice your set with your regular comfortable sticks. and to BUILD up speed and strength in your chops, use the beefy ones.

Exactly. It's just like weight lifting for your drumming muscles. Don't use marching sticks on a kit, only a practice pad for chops workouts.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:40 pm

i stick with my power wristbuilders
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
SGarrett

Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:03 pm

It's not a competition, dude.