sticks built for speed

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:27 pm

im currently using Vater 5A's and those used to do the trick but with this new band im in my blast beats are faster and more demanding. just wondering if i can somehow upgrade to a "faster" stick if you will. in other words, what are the factors that can make a player faster just by his stick? is it length, thickness, shape of the tip?

or is it all just i need to start doing my excersizes more often, longer and push myself to do faster tempos?

p.s. please dont just leave something like "i use (insert stick company)." tell me WHY you think it works for you!!!
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:54 pm

stay away from shorter tapers, they have less rebound. try try the steve gadd sticks, or the dave weckles. i feel like they rebound really well. i find right betwee a 5a and a 7a to be the most comfortable for going really fast. I like a light stick, but 7a's just dont have enough weight behind them for me. and make sure you tips are in always good shape
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
SGarrett

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:20 am

Get a set of heavy-ass marching sticks to use with your practice pad workouts. No matter what size stick you use from there it's going to be feel lighter and faster because you're going to build up the muscles you use to play.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Howepirate

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:49 am

Vic Firth 2b's. Thick for grip and have some great rebound!
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:29 am

Howepirate wrote:Vic Firth 2b's. Thick for grip and have some great rebound!

i woulnt say these sticks are any faster than anyhting else. theyre just sticks. the only thing thats gonna help you go fast on a drumstick is the right weight and a nice taper. building up you muscles with marching sticks or power wrist bulders is a good idea, but i'm a firm believe in practicing with what you play with . so be sure to use normal sticks as much as you use the heavy ones
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:32 am

xdoseonex wrote:

i woulnt say these sticks are any faster than anyhting else. theyre just sticks. the only thing thats gonna help you go fast on a drumstick is the right weight and a nice taper. building up you muscles with marching sticks or power wrist bulders is a good idea, but i'm a firm believe in practicing with what you play with . so be sure to use normal sticks as much as you use the heavy ones

how about playing with the same size sticks but using one of a different weight? say my Vater 5A's with Ahead sticks of the saem size. ive noticed they're heavier than wood. i think.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:56 am

thats why i suggest power wrist bulders as opposed to marching sticks. marching sticks are just gonne start getting to used to a different diameter, and absolutely huge diameter, which is not good. you want to keep the same diameter that you play with to practice. practice on a pillow also. that will help ALOT. practice for long periods of tim slowly and really pay attention to how the stick rebounds in your hand and get used to the motion. really try to become one with the stick and analize your technique
FiestyRedDrummEr
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:18 am

You know,
Whenever I prctice I use my Vic Firth Corpsmasters.
They are thick and heavy. And it really helps to build up the muscles. you gain more control. So that when I do pick up my little 5a's i can play faster and more accurate.
Try stretching before playing so that you don't cramp up or get tight. stay lose and you will drum faster. practice a lot and you will be able to drum faster. I think you can drum fast and well with any stick if you work on it.
You didn't steal my riff, it was free.
SGarrett

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:31 pm

FiestyRedDrummEr wrote:You know,
They are thick and heavy. And it really helps to build up the muscles. you gain more control. So that when I do pick up my little 5a's i can play faster and more accurate.
Try stretching before playing so that you don't cramp up or get tight. stay lose and you will drum faster. practice a lot and you will be able to drum faster. I think you can drum fast and well with any stick if you work on it.

I use an older pair of Vic Firth Dennis DeLucia sticks. Pretty much the heaviest wood sticks you can find.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
FiestyRedDrummEr
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:34 pm

SGarrett wrote:
FiestyRedDrummEr wrote:You know,

I use an older pair of Vic Firth Dennis DeLucia sticks. Pretty much the heaviest wood sticks you can find.

wicked. I will definetly check those out.
You didn't steal my riff, it was free.
Howepirate

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:58 pm

xdoseonex wrote:

Nah... ive noticed a lot of death metal drummers that use a good amount of power use these. I feel they have a good speed due to length, weight and tip shape.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:56 pm

i dunno, 2b sticks are like baseball bats. theyre really uncomfortable to me
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:22 pm

xdoseonex wrote:i dunno, 2b sticks are like baseball bats. theyre really uncomfortable to me

agreed. i used these for about two years in band.
Howepirate

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:42 pm

xdoseonex wrote:i dunno, 2b sticks are like baseball bats. theyre really uncomfortable to me

lolololol I found smaller sticks to be seriously uncomfortable. IDk. I think it might have to do with grip and whatnot because i dont use a light grip and i really push hard on a downstroke and pull little on an up and i get some serious stick height. I thought they were pretty big for a while but i definitely got used to em.
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:41 pm

im going to buy sticks tomorrow. i think ill get my normal pack of 4 and with whatever money i have left over ill get what a few of you suggested.