KAOSS PAD

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:47 pm

Anyone use one of these on Electric Drums? I thought it might be interesting (though I don't have electric drums). I'm using one for a loop on one of my songs for live replay.
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:18 pm

OK I guess not. Thanks anyhoo.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:09 pm

I will be using a Kaoss pad soon
Unfortunately, I cannot aford the best one so I will have to go with the mini (I couldn't find an image I could link)
http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=MiniKP&category_id=2
First of all, it will match my SPDS which I have marked with red tape (in order to see between the pads in the dark)
[/img]Image
It doesn't bother me too much to have to get the basic one because I don't fully understand the MIDI functions etc....
All I really want it for is the expression pad
You can only do so much when tweaking knobs
Plus, I hope to develop some noise manipulation with my right hand whilst playing drums with my left
My birthday is coming up and my family always asks what piece of equipment I want
It may be a while before I can review the product (If I get it at all)
You say irritant, I say catalyst
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:29 am

Rockula! wrote:I will be using a Kaoss pad soon
Unfortunately, I cannot aford the best one so I will have to go with the mini (I couldn't find an image I could link)
http://korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=MiniKP&category_id=2
First of all, it will match my SPDS which I have marked with red tape (in order to see between the pads in the dark)
[/img]Image
It doesn't bother me too much to have to get the basic one because I don't fully understand the MIDI functions etc....
All I really want it for is the expression pad
You can only do so much when tweaking knobs
Plus, I hope to develop some noise manipulation with my right hand whilst playing drums with my left
My birthday is coming up and my family always asks what piece of equipment I want
It may be a while before I can review the product (If I get it at all)
I borrowed my friends KP3 (the latest) for a show I'm playing in Oct. It's pretty cool to put samples in and slice them to make instant remixes live. Now that I've played on one though, I'm not sure it's something I'd buy for myself for quite some time. It's fun to play with regardless.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:41 am

I just got mine in the mail today
I have only been able to run a CD player through it so far but it blew my mind
Obviously, something like this will be great for live manipulation but it also means that I can just "paint" the effect over the sound with my finger instead of twiddling knobs, searching to find "that sound"
More updates as I get deeper into this thing
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:06 pm

Rockula! wrote:Image
I just got mine in the mail today
I have only been able to run a CD player through it so far but it blew my mind
Obviously, something like this will be great for live manipulation but it also means that I can just "paint" the effect over the sound with my finger instead of twiddling knobs, searching to find "that sound"
More updates as I get deeper into this thing
I'm sure that with your act, that Kaoss Pad has found a good home. Keep us posted.
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:13 pm

So far, there's the obvious "sound effects" capability of making goofy/weird sounds
Things that stand out the most to me are the loopers
There are several that emulate the sound of vinyl records being spun backwards and forwards (you sample the length of the phrase and then swirl it around on the pad)
However
There is a different application that I have discovered which makes sense when you examine how the pad shapes sound
How many times have you tried to use an effect to "color" a sound?
This involves twiddling 2 or 3 different parameter knobs at the same time (when you only have 2 hands) resulting on only 2 parameters affecting each other at once
You are able to adjust more than just two parameters simultaneously, giving you more flexibility in finding exactly what you want by just tracing your finger around the pad
You can then press the "hold" button and it will stay at those parameters
Essentially, painting the sound until it matches the one in your head
This works great when trying to find just the right color for your sampling material
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Using the bandwidth filters on loops is pretty fun. It is a good way to get a perfect loop.