Drum Mics......Help Please!

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

tomyco
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:55 am

I am not a drummer but a guitarist with a home studio. (Mac Pro-Pro-Tools- Digi 002 rack - Mackie 824 ) I just put together my studio and would like to start recording live drums for some original songs. The style I play would be I guess classic rock, no real hard stuff!

I'm looking for suggestions on mics. I think right now I will probably go with two stereo overhead mics and one bass mic. Does this make sense? I am new to recording and have no clue on drum mics. I just spent a lot of money on my existing stuff and need to go with something a little less money. I'm hoping to spend under $300.00 used, maybe on Ebay.

I know you get what you pay for! And I know that buying something cheap now, in a year or two I will end up paying more for better mics. I'm not looking for cheap mics, just something I would not be embarrased about using. Would just the overhead mics do? Could really use some advice on this. Thanks!
SGarrett

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:37 am

For comparison's sake. I spent $250 on each of my overheads and they aren't high end at all. You'll also spend around $200 for one of the industry standard kick mic's. There are low cost kits that are fine for the local stage but not what I'd want to track into a DAW with. It doesn't matter how good your interface is if you have low quality mic's. Oh, and you'll want a snare mic or the snare will sound really thin.

Check eBay for a Shure SM57, Beta 52, and some decent overheads. If you must skimp, don't do it on your overheads.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:31 pm

ive heard of guys recording with just 2 overheads and a kick mic and doing just fine with it but usually its 1 mic per tom, 2 per snare (one top, one bottom), 1 or 2 for the kick, 1 for hihats, and at least 2 overheads. its not crucial to have all of that but im pretty sure thats what the "standard" is.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
MRSTICKSTUFF
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:45 pm

TAKE THOSE MICS AND MAKE A (T) CROSS WITH THEM. TAPE THEM TOGETHER WITH DUCK-TAPE. PUT THEM BEHIND THE DRUMS WITH ONE FACING THE BASS RIG/VOCAL MONITOR TO PICK UP VOCALS AND THE OTHER FACING OUT OVER THE DRUMS. THEN ADJUST BALANCING EVENING OUT LEVELS.

I DID THIS FOR YEARS RUNNING THESE MICS (421 SENNHIZER'S) INTO A CASSETTE RECORDER USING A NORMAL BIAS TAPE.

CHOW

mikeanderson@stickstuffgrip.com
Mike Anderson