Moderator: Moderators

Howepirate

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Empyrean Drums wrote:
iatemygoat wrote:
Empyrean Drums wrote:
iatemygoat wrote:
Howepirate wrote:Vic Firth 2b's

Heavier the stick the faster your playing.

you'd think a heavier stick would slow you down dont you think? think of a baseball player with weights on his bat before he hits. the reason? so his swing is faster and the bat feels lighter when hes up to bat. i'd think the same would go for sticks. if you warmed up with 2B's then played with 5A's i would expect to be flying!

just my 2 cents.

You can get good momentum with a heavy stick, but the trade if is that you'll fatigue faster

which is why i use the lighter stick. the bands i play in involve alot of blast beats for extended periods of time.

The 707s are about a 5A's thickness, but they're slightly longer and with a ball tip

I'm 110 times faster on 2b's than i am 707's or 5a's or 7a's or whatever that smaller. Idk i guess ive just gotten used to using the full force method of driving the stick toward the head and letting it take up the rebound on the upstroke so i dont have to do anything.

Cuz a lighter stick has less rebound because it has less momentum and makes less pressure on the head causing it to not throw back as it would from a heavier stick.

Not to mention i also play funk/groove/r&b and whatnot and i like to have a stick i can really beat with in different musical scenarios.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Ahead and vic firth
myowndrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:45 pm

ive tried many different sticks along the way, but i have really gained a liking to the zilidjian 7A dips, they are light and have the dipped rubber end for grip. i play heavy at times and that leads to my sticks breaking easy, but i find them way easier to control than heavier sticks.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:00 pm

whenever my band has a gig other drummers come up to me after our set and ask me questions like what kind of drums i have, sticks i use, etc. when i tell them i play 7As theyir eyes get wide and they ask me how i can play rock with such thin sticks. i guess i'ver just never been a hard hitter.
Beat on.
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:07 am

Howepirate wrote:
Empyrean Drums wrote:
The 707s are about a 5A's thickness, but they're slightly longer and with a ball tip

I'm 110 times faster on 2b's than i am 707's or 5a's or 7a's or whatever that smaller. Idk i guess ive just gotten used to using the full force method of driving the stick toward the head and letting it take up the rebound on the upstroke so i dont have to do anything.

Cuz a lighter stick has less rebound because it has less momentum and makes less pressure on the head causing it to not throw back as it would from a heavier stick.

Not to mention i also play funk/groove/r&b and whatnot and i like to have a stick i can really beat with in different musical scenarios.

Good for you, more power to ya’

The difference in speed between the 707, 808, and 747B stick is marginal to me, but I can play for much longer periods of time with less wear on my wrists if I use a lighter stick. Idk, I guess I've gotten used to using my wrist and fingers to actually play the drum with control instead of relying on gravity and rebound.

Not to mention I also use my hi hat, which doesn't really have the rebound of a drum head
Howepirate

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:27 am

Empyrean Drums wrote:
Howepirate wrote:
Empyrean Drums wrote:

Good for you, more power to ya’

The difference in speed between the 707, 808, and 747B stick is marginal to me, but I can play for much longer periods of time with less wear on my wrists if I use a lighter stick. Idk, I guess I've gotten used to using my wrist and fingers to actually play the drum with control instead of relying on gravity and rebound.

Not to mention I also use my hi hat, which doesn't really have the rebound of a drum head

Yeah cymbals lack the rebound so thats where finger control comes in
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master
Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Post Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:16 pm

Vater 5A's are the best. Anything Vater. Vic Firth, Zildjian, Pro Mark, Ahead, Regal Tip, sound Percussion, Pulse, and Nova Suck.
a58chevy
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:42 pm

New to the post.

I'm currently into Grindstix 5A's. Metal guys check them out. For a wood stick they have a different feel. The sizing is different too. I believe .570 and 16 and 1/4" long. They feel top heavy compared to the 5B Vic Firths I was using but the rebound is something else. I find it quite good for blasts.
XfaddiusX
new
new

Post Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:41 am

drummer4thefreaks wrote:
killdrum1983 wrote:I use Travis Barker's signature sticks (i wanted to try them) and i love to play with Vic Firth Sd 4 combo. They're really thin and light....

I was about to say 'Will i get bashed for using Travis Barker sticks?' lol. I use them too. Perfect size and weight for me in every style. Except where brushes or someone like that are needed of course ;)

hahah thats funny because I love travis barker sig. sticks as well. The weight is perfectly balanced to the length for me and for some reason theyve held up the longest for me. I used to go through Vic Firth rock sticks like nobody's business, but Ive had the same pair of TB sticks for about 2 weeks now and theyve barely got any notches in them. The only thing I dont like is the white paint on them, it rubs off on my cymbals and stays there for a little while, but its something I can deal with.
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:18 pm

I've been using Sound Percussion 7As I think for awhile now, I'm probably going to try either Vic Firth 7Bs or Vater 7B's cause the 7As crack way to easy. Its a health havard cause I almost got my eye tooken out once!!!! the stick broke right down the middle few back on hit me right near the eye!!! whew, close one!!!
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware
anojeezick
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:41 pm

a58chevy wrote:New to the post.

I'm currently into Grindstix 5A's. Metal guys check them out. For a wood stick they have a different feel. The sizing is different too. I believe .570 and 16 and 1/4" long. They feel top heavy compared to the 5B Vic Firths I was using but the rebound is something else. I find it quite good for blasts.

Yeah I use 5A Grindstix too. They are amazing. Agreed on the blast beats.

Either those or Pro-Mark Shira Kashi Oak 5A's.
Mapex Mafia.

GET INTO IT

Mapex M Birch in Honey Amber
Iron Cobra Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Evans Heads.
OnusPro
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:02 pm

Ahead Rock model for metal, Vater 5B Nylon for lighter stuff.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:18 am

Timekeep69 wrote:Trueline 2B nylon tip with Unigrips.

i got a few pairs of unigrip sticks at namm. and i have to say theyre some of the worst made sticks i'v ever used. the size seemed wrong. the taper was way too short. and just the overall feel of the stick was terrible.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
downtied1
new
new

Post Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:44 pm

Wow, I probably use the biggest sticks here, hum.

Kit: Vic Firth "Metal" (Big-Mutha's)
Snare: Cooperman 1 Graham C. Johns 76g (these are seriously badass sticks for snare)
Marimba: Innovative Percussion 240
Rhythm Beatbox Masterness
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:08 am

For the most part I use the Regal Tip "Jazz E" series because I'm not very big and I like lighter sticks. The "E tip" is fantastic -- it's nylon with grooves in it, and there is just barely a difference in sound between that and a wooden tip. I hate the sound of nylon tips, but I also hate my tips chipping away prematurely, so these are perfect compromise. I also use the Promark "Elvin Jones" for the same light stick reasons, minus the nylon tip of course. When I want a nice solid thud from a sturdy stick that's still pretty light, I use the Promark "747" Oak - Neil Peart Signature.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads