bass drum beaters

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

drastic
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:29 am

I've been using the same dw 5000 pedal for a while now (double, but using single now) and always thought the beater seems really heavy, and inhibits my speed (maybe).
I end up 'choking up' on the beater.... there's 1.5" sticking thru on the bottom side when I put the beater in.

Would it help to get a 3rd party lighter beater? Like the speedball orsomething... ? Also I saw the dw Hardcore beater that looks like the speedball....

Experience anyone? much appreciated
jayusl
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:41 am

I think I have the same problem. I have the dw 7000 dbl pedal. I choked up on the beaters and its a little better. What weirds me out is I'm fairly capable with my pedals, but when I go to the music store and play an Iron Cobra dbl I have problems. Maybe it has more to do with spring tension.
I know I'm not answering your question. I just wanted to throw that in there because I'm thinking about different beaters too.
drummert2k

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:56 am

im a huge fan of the mapex beaters with the 3 differant surfaces on the beater. you can just loosen the screw and switch to the surface you need for the situation. and they're not too heavy either. just have a good "bang" and the end of the stroke.
drastic
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:00 am

Holy shit.... today's my birthday, and i solved the issue that's been plaguing my bass drum playing for years...
A lighter beater is all it is.

Practicing at the studio today, I grabbed the minimal style beater (like the single felt surface mapex ones.... ) off a shitty New Sound pedal, and experimented. Wow.
Way more control on 120 BPM 16th notes... and my simple BSBBS punk beat went from 190 BPM to 220 like that. AND it sounds more even.

So you, my brothers and sisters, WILL find salvation if you choose to go to the 'light'.
MasterShake89
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:18 am

I have the exact same problems as you did with heavy dw beaters. so now your sure lighter beaters will do it?
dob?
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:08 pm

yup, any time i hear someone talking about trashing their old pedal for a new one i suggest 2 things:

1. grease all your pedal joints with some reeeeally good grease (i have some honda motorcycle chain lube, works great)

2. buy some lighter after-market beaters

usually solves all the problems with their pedal :P
likelight2flies
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:49 pm

dob? wrote:yup, any time i hear someone talking about trashing their old pedal for a new one i suggest 2 things:

1. grease all your pedal joints with some reeeeally good grease (i have some honda motorcycle chain lube, works great)

2. buy some lighter after-market beaters

usually solves all the problems with their pedal :P

I always wondered if i should lube up my pedals...does that really work? is it safe for the bearings and such?
this damn LEFT PEDAL! i swear im getting another bass drum....
www.myspace.com/enlightenedbythecold
Howepirate

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Some of you may have already figured this little tip out. Basically, if you want to make your pedals more efficient, balance them.

Here is what you do. Disconnect the spring. Next hold the beater at a 45* angle, then release it. If it immediately falls toward the foot board, then shorten the distance between the beater head and the axle of the pedal.

If when you release the beater, and it falls toward the bass drum, then lengthen the distance between the beater head and the axle of the pedal.

You want to try and adjust the pedal to where when you release the beater at 45*, it either doesn't move, or it SLOWLY moves on direction or the other.

IF the beater is out too far, you work against spring tension, and the momentum of the beater as it rebounds off of the drum head. If the beater is too far in, there will be a decrease in power, and the action will be erratic.

Lighter beaters (felt etc.) will be farther from the pedal axle, heavier beaters (Danmar Red Wood, DW) will be closer to the pedal axle.

Stolen from the Derek Roddy forum board (for siting)
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:38 pm

I have never had a complaint about the DW beaters but I do use the Danmar Zoro beaters on occasion.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
drastic
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:05 am

Howepirate... that sounds cool. Going to try it. How does adjusting the angle of the beater (when at rest) fit into all this?
Anyone have a tip on where it should be?
drastic
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:50 am

mastershake...

i can't promise for you... but I think maybe the DW factory beaters work better if you're not a scrawny 120 lbs.......

My philisophy is this.... The lighter beater delivers a little less power (for single notes) but anything faster (heel toe etc) is clearer... and more precise. SO... the kick mic can be turned up as the lighter beater has 'normalized' my playing.
Howepirate

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:21 am

drastic wrote:Howepirate... that sounds cool. Going to try it. How does adjusting the angle of the beater (when at rest) fit into all this?
Anyone have a tip on where it should be?

I'd say a 45 degree angle is possibly the best place ...like if you dont wanna change your your angle change the height of your beater..if you dont wanna change height change the length of your beater..

but trust me guys a 45 degree is the best...

oh and i forgot to post this for double pedal users..

You must have a double pedal. I should have addressed that. For double pedals it would be a little different.

For double pedals, adjust the primary pedal like mentioned above. Then, adjust the slave pedal the same way. Now here is the tricky part. Because the slave pedal has a connecting shaft on it, it has more rotational mass. If you were to set your beater angles the same, and then play your pedal, you would notice that the slave beater has a tendency to travel back further then the primary pedal beater.

To counter this, set the slave beater closer to the drum head in small increments until both beaters travel back the same amount. Don't worry about loosing any power out of the slave pedal, because the amount of momentum you gain by having the connecting shaft makes up for any momentum lost by moving the beater closer to the drum head. Oh, it also helps to have your springs set at equal tension.

A smart idea for pedal manufacturers would be to attach a weight to the primary pedal axle shaft that has the same mass as the connecting shaft. That way, you could set both beaters the same distance from the drum head, and both pedals would have the same feel, because both pedals would have equal rotational mass.

another quote from Derek Roddy forum board..
phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:59 pm

can someone explain what choking a beater is ?
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:10 pm

if u want light beaters, the iron cobra beaters are quite light and very controlable, ive been using them for 4 years now and im very happy
Heresy! \M/
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:24 pm

howepirate, you are the man... well Derek is the man, but you quoted him so it's all good.

Go with the Derek Roddy method guys. It works perfectly.

And I believe that he's still using Axis A longboards with Danmar felt beaters, not that it matters.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)