Worth it?

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Susanboy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:06 pm

The other day I ordered a set of remo Ambasadors online for 30 bucks on sale. Was it worth it? The heads I has before were stock heads, so they really sucked, but Are the ambasodors good? ANd in your opinion, what is the best head and why?
scrubs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:23 pm

How many did you get for $30? Clear or coated? Ambassadors are pretty standard heads. Nothing wrong with them. They'll probably sound a heck of a lot better than your stock heads, if tuned well.

The whole "best heads" debate is never-ending and you really have to find what the best heads are for your kit(s) and your style(s) of music. There is no "best" anything, only what works for you, or doesn't. All the top head manufacturers (Remo, Evans, Aquarian) make quality products and they have a great variety to choose from for different drummers. If there was only one "best," there'd only be one head and everyone would use it.
drummert2k

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:34 pm

clear ambassador style (thickness, openess, ect) are what come on most kits as stock heads. i know remo is gonna be better quality than the stock heads that come on a cb kit or something. but the typical stock head is a clear single ply head as is the ambassador. my personal preference is something a little thicker so i usually rip the stock heads off right away and put pinstrips or g2's on the batters.

ambassadors make great reso heads though if you dont like the sound of them as batters.
Susanboy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:24 pm

No, I got the coated ambassadors. I just put them on, and they do sound a hell of a lot better, the sounds a lot thicker and deeper. Plus, they seem a lot more durable.
drummert2k

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:37 pm

awesome! coated will give you a little more duribility and also slightly help with overtones.
Susanboy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:34 pm

awesome! coated will give you a little more duribility and also slightly help with overtones.

Thanks so much. They sounded like a great deal. And thanks for the help. I can drum, but I don't know too much about the mechanics or acoustics of it, and I think it's really interesting to learn. Everyone here has been so helpful and put up with my constant questions.
AK-Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:42 pm

does anyone know where to get double pinstripe heads? i look and look and can never find them
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:07 am

pin stripes are a double ply head 7mil.

they have one stripe on the outer ply.

powerstroke3 is a single ply head

they come with one ring on the outer ply and contains a thin underlay damping over tones this thin underlay contains a stripe giveing it a 2 stripe look.

but ive never heard of a double pin stripe.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
AK-Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:16 pm

mmm well i have some but they are to worn out to use.....and i LOVE them i just dont know where to get more.