Ahead Sticks

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Jaydrummer1987
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:58 am

Hey guys and gals, right play with ltd edition 5b. I'm getting on really well with em, there comfortable and don't vibrate as much as wodden sticks.

Last night I went to a jam night took my sticks and wasn't aloud to use them because "They crack the symbols" Now unless this guys Ziljian symbols are made out of cardboard I can't believe this.

Anyone got any opinions or know if this is true????
Just keep in time that's all that matters.
Drumming_Animal
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:15 am

I play with the Ahead 7A sticks, and recently had to buy some new covers for em coz they were knackered from a year of playing (yea a year, and thats with Heavy/Thrash Metal style playing, these things really are the dogs bollocks!!!), i bought some grip tape aswell coz i dunno bout you but i find these are really easy to drop.
But anyway i dont have any troubles with any of my cymbals becoming cracked or any damage at all and due to the nature and volume of the style of music my band plays i have to hit hard, seriously i have no problem at all with the sticks or cymbals. Also more to the point is that i do use Zildjians (a couple of Paistes aswell) and theyre fine!
What i would recomend though is that for the 'jam sessions' take along a couple of pairs of sticks, your Ahead ones to use as a primary pair and if youre not allowed, then you could either argue againts the bloke, use the second pair of sticks you took which should be wooden, i recomend Vic Firth, or take your own cymbals with Ahead sticks

:D
m
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:42 am

this is a widespread rumour, but I've never actually seen it happen.
Plenty of people claim to have broken cymbals with them.
I don't believe they're the only stick to have cracked a cymbal though...
Jaydrummer1987
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:31 am

alright wicked, well atm cause i'm skint i have a crap kit and have paiste 302's which seem to have lost their ring. I think the guys just jealous cause I'm self taught and he aint lol.
Cheers guys
Piddywiffle
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:07 am

m wrote:this is a widespread rumour, but I've never actually seen it happen.
Plenty of people claim to have broken cymbals with them.
I don't believe they're the only stick to have cracked a cymbal though...

Probably isn't the stick at all. It might just be people putting full arms strength into hitting their cymbals. People tend to forget that cymbals are thin pieces of metal :lol: They wanna treat em like their indestructable... But unfortunatly :cry:
Falling down the stairs at the age of five was my first drum solo.

"They arn't dirty pants dude... That film is a protective barrier from all other bacterium" Quote from my roommate approx 1 month ago.
drumschick07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:34 am

These sticks are really great. There's a lot less vibration which keeps your hands from getting tired so quick. The only problem is I have the Tommy Lee concert sticks and I can't find the sleeves for them anywhere. As far as cracking cymbals, I've never had a problem. :D
FrKn LoUd
GeorgeDemise
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:11 am

I heard that some cymbals lose their warrenty if you use them? Does anybody know if this is true? Either way I prefer to use vater wooden sticks!
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:04 pm

wondering if ahead does their sticks in more than one color. I always just see the black, I don't think I'd ever actually use the sticks, but it'd be cool to have a pair of dark green drumsticks.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
DrummerByron
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:13 pm

Flatliner wrote:wondering if ahead does their sticks in more than one color. I always just see the black, I don't think I'd ever actually use the sticks, but it'd be cool to have a pair of dark green drumsticks.

As far as I know they only come in black, but Tommy Lee just put out a new AHEAD stick with silver covers so different colors may be a trend. And as far as the sleeve replacement for the T.L.s I believe it's a long taper so the LT size sleeves should fit. However, the AHEAD Brochure lists the Silver T.L. as short taper http://www.bigbangdist.com/ahead_st.htm so now I'm not sure. The sleeve size should be printed on the grip of the stick.

So concerning the cymbal breakage rumor it is NOT true. In fact I have had my cymbals last longer than I ever did with wood sticks. The reason why cymbals break is usually due to improper hitting technique and improper angling of the cymbal. AHEAD sticks are designed to have less resistance than wood, and I remember when AHEADs first hit the stores and longer cymbal life was one of the selling points. I have been using AHEAD sticks since 00’ and I have only broken 1 old used thin crash cymbal.
I don’t know anything about the voiding of a cymbal warranty, plus how would they know what stick you are using? The last cymbal I sent back I just gave it over to the music store and they replaced it—no questions asked.
drumschick07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:01 am

I have the tommy Lee Studio sticks and I need new sleeves, but I can't find them any where. Guitar Center doesn't even carry them. Any one have any ideas? I checked Musiciansfriend, can't find em.
FrKn LoUd
AK-Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:47 pm

its a lie. the sticks are PLASTIC. the heads are like....i think some fiber thing...idk the name escapes me right now. but i know its softer then most of the tips on wooden sticks. until u break the cover and get to the core they are same as any others. one u at the core the STICK will break before the cymbal. those guys are just mis-informed.
Jaydrummer1987
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:06 am

drumschick07

I have the tommy Lee Studio sticks and I need new sleeves, but I can't find them any where. Guitar Center doesn't even carry them. Any one have any ideas? I checked Musiciansfriend, can't find em.

Try www.soundattak.co.uk they got a huge range of stuff, and you get free P&P
drkilldrmz
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:25 am

I used to break at least 3 sticks a night due to riding the bell.. The aheads have saved me sooo much money it's not even right. Awesome sticks.
Just my 2Cents
Jaydrummer1987
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:30 am

Yeah the sticks themselves are arcraft crade lauminium, with a extra hard plastic coating and nylon tips.

And I can't agree more the sticks are awsome, perfectly balanced and they reduce vibrations which is cool, only problem I have is I've split the very top of the plastic cover twice in about 2 months, anyone got any clues to why this is happening??
Genocide
new
new

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:41 am

I used to play with these sticks, but i grew out of them very fast. They have no grip on them what-so-ever. They tended to slide out of my hands too often when compared to a pair of vic firths. They were also too heavy to play with when attempting fast-paced movements. and for that one person whe has never seen them break cymbols...ive seen it. They cracked a friend of mine's cymbols within 4 months of having the cymbols.
Infernal Hails!

It is high time that the Legions of the Enlightened stand up against those who deserve NOT to live. We, Brothers in Arms, Must face the masses and Conquer them before we are overtaken in strength!